Heartworm meds VS Ivermectin (dog related)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard the white feet don't treat saying before, but then I got to thinking...Some (most) Rat Terriers have white feet. Pyrenees have white feet. Boston terriers have white feet. Many Beagles have white feet. Many Bassett hounds have white feet. Lots of dogs have white feet. Some of my Aussies don't have white feet. Some of the Black tris and black bi's. One red tri that I had didn't have white feet.

I use Interceptor, have since I've had Copper. It is not only a heartworm, it also kills other worms such as whip, hook, ah...round and something else.

I will be putting Suzie on it soon and it is only $40.00 for a 6 month supply for her and she is a BIG dog.

I use Interceptor, have since I've had Copper. It is not only a heartworm, it also kills other worms such as whip, hook, ah...round and something else.

I will be putting Suzie on it soon and it is only $40.00 for a 6 month supply for her and she is a BIG dog.

Sounds good. If you don't mind when I ask where do you get that?

Anita

Anita, I get it from my vet and you can also order it from one or two of the equine/dog catalogs. Can't think of which ones right now, want to say Country something and Valley Vet. But here in TN there isn't to much difference in price between the vet and the catalogs.

Well if you all want to go the "don't cut corners" theory then you should really have your dogs tested for the (i beleive it's called) MR-1 test which tests for ivermectin senstivity. there IS a test for it! If you don't test for it then i'd say your probably cutting corners by not treating your dog with ivermectin to begin with. I breed aussies and NOT ALL aussies or herding dogs have this problem. it tends to run in certain faimliar lines. it also is usually so sensitive that even one dose of regular heart worm would send them into shock. If your dog has ever had heart worm or anything with ivermectin in it..then it's probably pretty darned safe to say that your dog does NOT have the MR-1 sensitivity gene. you CAN overdose them on it though. I first spoke to my vet before doing this and he said it was fine to use the Equimax (also has tape wormer in it) for horses. my only OPSIE was that the lock on the manufacturors syringe did NOT lock and i ended up giving a whole tube to one dog. she was like a doggie on crack for 24 hours and i ended up taking her to the vet for it (they did very little other than supportive care) .but she came out of it fine. I have since come up with a better method to make sure they get the right dosage by using a smaller syringe which has been broken down to weight for dogs and i squirt it on my finger and then rub it on their tongue. works great and no overdosing..

I would say don't let that old saying prevent you from doing what NEEDS to be done (ie. heartworm prevention) and i also don't think that you nessarily have to go through a vet to do it. It takes very little ivermectin to kill heartworm from my research. I'd do the MR-1 test if there is any doubt in your mind before hand.

I also wouldn't say people are cutting corners..if they are a big kennel could you IMAGINE how much money would be put into worming and properly caring for a dog by going through the vet? that is not economically feasible for most. at least they ARE doing it even if it's saving a few $$. I've heard of many many breeders that do the cattel ivermectin suspension. not sure i'd trust myself to mix it right..lol i'll stick with the tube wormer i think but at least these dogs are getting wormed!

Where I'm located hunting lodges abound and most use the Ivermec mix. These kennels have 20-40 dogs in various stages of training and on average get $3,000 for a trained dog so if they were seeing issues they would not risk it for $60 a year. I know better than to think that just because someone, even a lot of someones, does it, it doesn't always make it right.

I was told by a vet to try use it, now most vets will not advise you to use it because IF there are complications the vet's butt is on the line as that product is not labeled to be used in that fashion. I was informed when I gave it, heck even gave the same speal several times in the 11 years I worked for the same vet who told me to do it. I tried it once and didn't like the result so didn't use it again.

I'm not niave enough to think that just cuz everyone does it it means it's OK.. I do consult my vets (yep i have multiple vets) before trying things..but i wouldn't knock others for "cutting corners" if it's effective and works. that would be like saying you didn't want to pay $20 for a halter through a tack store..so you go to ebay and get it for $2.00. that's cutting corners.. it might be good it might be bad..but still cutting corners to save money.

I think your misconstruing my point, although I'll admit it's easy to do after I reread my post.

I don't condemn those that use the mix, I just don't advocate it either. I made the point that I know several that do with no issues. My own vet told me to and one of my other vets (does anybody have just one :bgrin ) does also say it can be used, but you will never get him to say that to Joe Blow that comes into the clinic as there is just too much at risk, namely his license and his money.

I don't consider it "cutting corners" as long as it's an informed decision and done with a little research but that can be said about a lot of things from switching to a cheaper feed to changing to a cheaper farrier. Cutting corner to me always says that one went with a cheaper inferior product (or service) to save money.

I'm very much an each to their own type of person so I will not, ok rarely, preach what one should or shouldn't do. I would rather toss out some information and let the reader decide where to take it from there. I never want to be taken as an end all source of information but rather a starting point to look for more information.

I just had my new boy "Hugo" at the vet yesterday for various things, and one was for heartworm meds.

The vet first did a blood test for heartworm, and once that came back clear gave him a shot of ProHeart. It is a single dose injection that lasts for a year (although I have just read on their web site that if a puppy is younger than 9 months (which Hugo is), he is only covered for 9 months. After 9 months old, each shot given will last for 12 months (funny how my vet failed to tell me this :no: ).

Anyway I think I paid $55 AUD for the shot, but for me it is peace of mind! It just means that I have one less thing to have to remember each month
default_yes.gif
: .

I believe ProHeart6 has been taken off the market here a few years ago. Maybe back on market again.....don't know. But too many side effects and too many other products on the market that are safer.

Vertical Limit Posted Today, 01:53 AM 

I believe ProHeart6 has been taken off the market here a few years ago. Maybe back on market again.....don't know. But too many side effects and too many other products on the market that are safer.

Yes I have read about all the problems associated with ProHeart6 and was waiting to hear feedback.

I believe the one Hugo had was actually ProHeart SR12 which is a new treatment. So far I have not found that he has had any sort of reaction, but will watch him closely.

Latest posts

Back