Older Dog, New Behavior

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boss Mare

Reaction score
Pepper is an older Beagle/Pointer? cross.. Age is unknown, she was a rescue. My partner rescued her a few years ago. She was used as a breeder at a puppy mill. A dog that should weigh about 45-50lbs. was 27lbs. at the time of rescue. She gained weight (got up to 55lbs.), spayed, vetted, etc. She was heartworm positive -- went through lengthy treatment that almost killed her and she recovered. At time of rescue they estimated her to be about 5-7 years old, that was 4 years ago.

Fast forward about 2 years ago when my partner and I started dating. From the beginning I always thought Pepper was older than the rescue said. My guess is 10-13 years old. Her teeth are worn down, could be from her chewing kennel bars or chain link.. She has a grey masked face and is heavily greyed all over, a few benign skin growths. I also noticed she had a rather large hernia that was not noticed during her spay or developed afterwards (current vet is unsure). Anyways, last year we did have her hernia surgically fixed, it was about the size of a small fist. I also put her on a diet, she was grossly overweight at 55lbs and is now at 43lbs and is ideal weight in my opinion, even a little cushion due to age.

Before her hernia surgery she would throw up right after eating some times, vet said it 'could' be the hernia.. Hernia was fixed, I make sure she eats slow every time I feed her and she has a habit of drinking a lot after eating so I limit that afterwards too. She is a lazy dog, I think she sleeps about 18 hrs a day.. Nothing new there.

Her new habit is 5-6 hours after eating she starts crying as if she is going to throw up (like she used to) but she never throws up.. She just kinds of sits up, cries for a while and falls asleep.

She can be a nervous dog during storms, but not as bad as she used to be. Everything in the house can be in a relaxed state as she just starts crying like something isn't right. She has never done this before and it has happened three times in about a week.

I almost want to take her in for some abdominal X-rays to make sure a mass or something isn't developing inside.. Especially due to her age.

Everything else is normal.. We also found out during her bloodwork for her hernia that she is Lyme positive, but her levels weren't high enough to treat.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you are right about the x-rays, if it can be done without knocking her out. She could have scar tissue problem from surgery, or blockage or something called, (hope I spell it nearly correctly) stenosis. Does she somtimes vomit frothy white fluid? One of my dogs has a small intestine problem and does that, and every once in a blue moon has a real bad spell.

The only times she ever vomits would be after eating and it's all dog food. That's why she now has a slow feed bowl and I make her take breaks while she eats.. And make sure she doesn't consume a lol of water right afterwards.. She would gulp a bowl of water if she could after eating if I let her even though she has water 24/7.

I was considering the scar tissue thing too..

Her last complete bloodwork was a year ago last month and the only thing detected was the Lyme. But I am sure with her age, things can change.

Otherwise, she seems healthy. Active (when she is awake), normal stools, appetite. Alert, etc. she doesn't even seem arthritic.

It's just the random crying spells that's new and I am very observant with changes in my dogs.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have x rays done.Sounds like something internal that you can't detect except with x ray.Older dogs are more prone to tumors and it may be pressing on something after she eats and stomach and intestines are expanded.Lots of senior citizens here with issues including myself and Karl.I often feel like an animal nurse.

Diabetic or issues regulating her natural insuline levels? Drinking water due to a spike in sugars ( carbs) due to eating, body's natural way to lower the sugar is to make one crave water in order to cause the body to urinate to attempt to self regulate the sugar level as well as send out insuline to self regulate. The 5-6 hours later could be that her blood sugar has now plummeted and the body is bottoming out because it sent a surge of insuline to counter the earlier spike but can not self regulate. Just a guess, but I would be inclined to feed smaller more frequent meals to see if it subsides.

Wanted to add.. She ONLY would ever throw up after eating when my partner was home (her original owner that rescued her - I have only been Pepper's Mom for about two years).. She also only does this whining when she is home.

I thought about anxiety related too, because my partner is more of the one that coddles and gets nervous when something happens. Pepper listens and respects me more.. Pepper is also terrified of gunshots and will dart inside if she hears one in the distance and my partner goes after her to make sure she is okay. If Pepper hears a gunshot while I am in control of the leash she will flinch and ignore.. I act like it shouldn't phase her and I guess she trusts me enough to know she is safe. I am definitely the dominate one and has the more relaxed energy.

The whining doesn't start when she hears a sound or anything, but like I said this only happens when my partner is home. Every time it happens we are all relaxed on the couch with the other dogs, Pepper has her own XL bed on my couch.. She sleeps so much I needed to protect my couch from hair and wear.

Thought of the blood sugar thing too.. Or kidney related..

Overall, I think I need to have bloodwork done (been a year) and maybe some X-rays.. Just didnt know if I was making something out of nothing.

I am very experienced with dogs and just didnt think this was right.

I would go for x rays too. I'm thinking that something along the digestive track is causing her pain. Wouldn't hurt to find out.

So go figure -- I make a post about it and she hasn't done the whining for a few days. Kinda like when I was cleaning her ears every other night for weeks because they were so dirty and then had an odor (being a dog groomer I am super aware of my dog's health).. Take her to the vet and her ears come back clean. And ironically her ears stay super clean on their own now. All it took was to spend money for the vet to say they were okay. LOL better safe than sorry! :)

She has a vet appointment next week, discussed with the vet about doing a complete senior exam. She wants to start with a CBC and go from there.

Latest posts

Back