HC Minis - new pics pg 172

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, technically, I guess its a shed/shelter, as its open-front and not terribly big (12x16'), but it will come in so handy for the boys. ALL THE BOYS! [Can't seem to sell those darn yearling hooligans, but I'm advertising.]

I'll try to get a few building pics, may even get some of just the posts in, if I can remember the camera, tomorrow.

Here are a couple pictures of the new shelter in process...

This is what Shayne left me to work with:

New shelter - June 16, 2013 - posts in.jpg

The horizontal boards around the bottom were what Shayne used to square up the posts while setting them, so hopefully the barn will be plumb and square and turn out right. They have to come off.

And, here's what I got done this afternoon before running out of pole barn spikes:

new shelter - june 16, 2013 - two rounds up.jpg

I was 3 nails short for my last board I put up, will need to get more hopefully Tuesday, if my feed order is in.

LOTS of work!! Don't wear yourself out.... stay healthy!
Running out of nails slows you down, and keeps you from overdoing it.
default_wink.png

That's going to be great when finished...good for you...those clouds in 1st pic look a little scarey...be careful out there
Thank you. and, the clouds produced nothing today; no rain, no thunder, no lightening, nothing at all but overcast skies.

Looks as though it will be a very useful space once it is finished Chanda - keep the pics coming as it progresses please.
default_yes.gif

Looks as though it will be a very useful space once it is finished Chanda - keep the pics coming as it progresses please.
default_yes.gif
It looks so much bigger in the pics than it actually is; but it'll give me a couple 8x8' stalls and a small space to stash some small squares of hay (I always run out in the spring before the new crop is in, so I hope to stash enough in a couple places to save for that late spring crunch between old hay and new crop).

Wow, you are a busy bee, I am sure the boys will love their new digs
default_smile.png
I wish I was that clever!

Finally, a start on the new barn. Shayne helped me, I mean I helped Shayne, set posts today. So the really hard part is done, and I can get to work on the walls. I have most of my supplies, but evidently when one of us picked up some 2x6s last year, we were given 10' boards instead of 12' boards, so I'm short two 12' boards (I can piece the 10 footers to make one row, but we planned on two). We made a slight change, so one less post to set; and I'll need to get slightly bigger boards for the rafters. Good start, can't wait to get to the rest of it. Will need Shayne's help again, when its time to top off the posts; I don't do that type of power tool.

That's all for now, gotta go serve supper.
OMG! It happened again, I got home with a 10' board.
default_doh.gif
I went to town today, ordered my lumber (about 11 pieces), including two 12' replacements for last year's mistake. watched them load, swear it was the 12' slot he pulled from; only 3 boards left, 2 were twisted, so he said he'd give me a 16' at the same price and pulled from the next slot. Proceeded to load 14' and 16' lumber, didn't notice anything
default_doh.gif
Drove an hour and 65 miles home and noticed at my inlaws that two board were much shorter than the others; yep a 10' board and a 12' board in the pick-up, not a 12' and a 16'.
default_doh.gif
got home too late tonight to call and fix it; but will call in the morning and have them credit Shayne's account the difference (I paid today). And, I won't be driving back to get the right board, I'll just make do with what I have and splice the short board.
default_gaah.gif

Called this morning. He's like well just bring it back and we'll exchange... Um no, I'm 65 miles out, lets just credit hubby's account, so ok. And, that part is all fixed up. I'll just splice the board and we'll make it work. Can't totally blame them, when I stood, watch them pull and load and still had it wrong.

Equine dentist is coming this morning, so better get my morning chores done before she gets here.

Whenever I see a lady building, I think GO GIRL POWER! Lol. My friend(she's my boss too) and I have built her place with little to no help and we are proud of our accomplishments. I bet your barn will be perfect when finished, keep up the good work!

Chandra I so feel your pain. I don't think we have ever started a project and gone to Home Depot or Lowes only to find out box is mislabeled or the man told us just what we needed and low and behold it wasn't enough. Every blasted time something goes wrong..size? part? something!! Back to store and by the time you get back you don't even feel like working on it. but for you...such a long trip and all, sure would make you unhappy to say the least....especially when you know a little bit of it was your own fault...what a bummer. I still think you rock even attempting this project..I hope your horses appreciate it!!

Aw, thanks Heidi, you're too sweet.

Blazingstar, I bet you two have built great things together.

Equine Dentist just left, I just love her and the care she gives my critters. Only 5 out of 12 needed floats today (well, two preggos were skipped to not stress them, they are both chubby, so not hurting).

Equine dentist and I really feel Caddy is pregnant, I'm guessing she is around 300 days or so, will have to check. She wasn't too receptive to Topper last summer, and only gave him a few seconds to get the job done before trying to kick his teeth in, but she seems to have a bit of a bag, and her shape says pregnant, rather than just fat. I can't remember exactly, but she would have been bred sometime between July 14 and Aug 14, hand breeding, but since she wasn't overly receptive, I didn't write it down, nor did I send in a report.

It only takes one covering at the right time!!! Keeping my fingers crossed for you and Caddy - she's such a lovely mare.
default_yes.gif

I'll try to get pics of her, but don't know when, I'm so bad about these things, especially lately. She has a tummy with "sunk-in" flanks for lack of better description. I don't know if I can pick it up on camera, but will try fairly soon.

I know it only takes once, at the right time; but that once was pretty darn quick, so hard to believe it could actually happen.

A cute little buckskin filly would sure be nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got an inquiry on the colts this morning. Just a brief phone call, just prices and heights mostly (and color); she said she had to talk to somebody (she said "him", so perhaps hubby or something). Every time I get an inquiry, I get cold feet, and think I don't want to sell them; but I know I need to, I can't keep them all, or I'd be over run with little horses. I'll cross my fingers and hope something good comes from it. [she is from in-state, but still several hours from here. I didn't know the town, but hubby does, so have an idea of location (well, just looked on map and hubby was a few hundred miles off with location, so even further away).] Probably won't pan out with the distance, but we'll see.

Ooooo good luck - lets hope she gets back to you and, above all, offers the perfect home!
default_yes.gif

She sounded like they were looking for a stallion prospect, so we'll see how it goes. I'll try not to get too nervous/worked-up over the call; and by the same token not be disappointed when they don't call again.

Chanda they are growing more and more gorgeous
default_smile.png

I think we went to the same school of selling horses, I'll keep my fingers crossed that your latest enquiry works out!
default_thumbup.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back