HC Minis - new pics pg 172

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh they are such handsome little boys!! (Daddy's looking good too!!)
default_thumbup.gif

What colour did we all think that Manny would be once he matures - there are interesting changes afoot in the picture.
default_yes.gif

Thank you.

Based on birth color and momma being a smokey cream (registered as cremello, but based on foal pics and knowing how many black-based foals her sire has sired, she's likely smokey cream); I've always thought he was a smokey silver black, but with the golden rings coming in around his eyes, now I'm leaning towards silver buckskin.

I'm seeing some color testing in my future, when finances allow. I'd like to test Topper, he could be homozygous for black, which would limit foal colors; and I sometimes wonder if he might be a smokey black rather than black bay (but that's probably wishful thinking).

Almost had a new horse today...

Went to the local stockyards fall horse sale (only two per year, one spring, one fall). This is mostly just a cull sale yard, usually little is anything special. Not too bad this year for the sale, only a couple pathetic individuals, and they were gimpy rather than extra skinny. Loose mares and geldings ranged from $150-$250, loose stallions/colts $35-$100 (mostly bought by the dealer, and they pay little as they have to haul on a special stallion semi with individual pens for the stallions), one mini donkey jack $50 (sold right before I got there, he had one really bad founder hoof in front), and a few saddle hroses ridden through. The horses ridden through the ring ranged from like $750 to $2500; the high sale was a nice 9year old buckskin mare ridden through by a 9-year old boy (which gets em everytime). There was a lovely grey 2year Arabian colt; I would love another Arabian, but if I'm not riding much, if at all, I don't need another saddle horses (I have two barely started stock horses). And, the one I bid on, but didn't need, so quit... A really cute little black and white colt; I only bid cause I felt sorry for him, just 3 months old. [He probably could have wintered with my two mini geldings.] I didn't need him so let him go, hope he got a home. My FIL bought a decent bay dun colt, he wants to pair him up with a bay dun he already owns.

So that was my day.

Oh I cant go anywhere near horse sales these days - I either want to bring them ALL home or I spend weeks after wondering whether they got good homes or imagining what had happened to them!

Little trivia story about one that I purchased from a sale many many years ago - a little Dartmoor gelding, 10 years old, put up for sale by a riding school as they were retiring from the business. Good looking solid bay little chap and I thought he would suit my daughter who was then 7 and ready for a pony who could 'do something'. Ha! Ha! Let the buyer beware!! And he was so angelic looking too!!

Before I had even got him away from the sale he had already kicked two two passersby who had tried to say hello to him!! Once home we soon found that he HATED children!! Teeth or heels, he wasn't bothered - but he was perfect with adults. I got my neighbour's experienced lightweight 12 year old to come round and ride him out - perfect in all ways, in the traffic, off round the woods, everywhere. But when it came to younger children he was a complete menace. Daughter would ask her friends to come and see her new pony, open his stable door a crack for them to peep in and promptly shut it as they were met with a set of teeth!! She did actually ride him every day, but I had to lift her on to avoid her getting a well aimed cow kick if she tried to mount herself from the ground.

Most folks would have given up, but me, being me, realised that underneath everything he was a really nice pony with a kind temperament. He had obviously been teased/manhandled/annoyed by small children in his past. We never told him off for any of his bad temper but just continued to give him love, care, freedom and interesting things to do. It took TWO YEARS!! Then suddenly he changed. Literally one day he actually greeted daughter with a neigh! From that day on they were a pair. She did everything for him. They went off riding for hours alone together, she could even go off for picnic rides with her best friend and her pony down to the woods, where they would let the ponies go wander free (took all the tack off!) while they shared a picnic, and then call the ponies up when they were ready to ride home, but he never wandered far from her. They won loads of rosettes at the fun gymkhana games and even some showing. She took him hunting in the winter months - he looked so cute all clipped out - and he became a 'star' with the hunt as he took on most of the jumps or ploughed his way through areas of undergrowth to keep up with the big horses LOL!! For 6 happy years he was her best friend and constant companion and the best buy I ever made as he taught her that just because he was small, he was still a horse and not a toy, and he demanded and earned her respect which served her well to this day, especially now that we have minis.

Eventually of course she outgrew him, not that she got too heavy but more that her legs were well down below his knee level! We passed him on to a good friend where he spent the next couple of years teaching her daughter some manners (!) before returning to us, where we kept him 'interested' by often leading him out for exercise when riding our big horses - he would spend the ride either trying to bite our stirrups or the knees of the poor leading horse, he never lost his sense of humour!!

He retired to have the free run of our farm, wandering around getting up to mischief, annoying the other horses by running their fences or wandering off down the drive to visit the next door neighbour's orchard to pinch a few apples. In his last couple of years he had a goat friend (an elderly rescue that I saved from a farm closing down), she worshipped him and followed him everywhere, and when eventually the time came when we needed to let him go to Rainbow Bridge we had them both put down together and buried them side by side on the farm with a small plague to mark the spot "Rabbit and Harriet - friends".

Oooop's bit of a long 'trivia' LOL!!

Thanks Diane - you know what I'm like when I get into story 'mode' LOL!! My apologies Chanda!

Forgot to say that the little varmit was 35 when he finally left us, so we had put up with him for quite a long time!!

Thanks Diane - you know what I'm like when I get into story 'mode' LOL!! My apologies Chanda!

Forgot to say that the little varmit was 35 when he finally left us, so we had put up with him for quite a long time!!
No apologies necessary, I like horse stories, and you told your's very well. Got a picture of the character you can share?

Topper gave me a bit of a scare this afternoon. Must of been a little colicy or something, perhaps even ulcers as I saw him roll up on his back a few times. Lots of laying down. Took him for a 40 minute walk, when I started he was very laid back (too laid back for Topper), after about 15-20 minutes he was starting to act more normal and showed interest in the two saddle geldings watching us, walked him some more, took him down by the creek where there was some green grass still, he had a few bites, even spooked at the cow out on the road (we spooked her too). Oh, and I gave him a dose of Stomach Soother before starting our walk. He seemed to be himself by the time I put him back in his corral, good thing as its pitch black out now.

Farrier was here this morning, got 5-1/2 done; Manny counts as a half, so now his little toes look like they are supposed to.

So glad Topper is feeling better! It's so scary when that happens!!
Very scary, he's been so healthy since I brought him home, I was totally shocked he was acting that way. By the end of our walk, he seemed to be acting about normal, so I put him up for the night, it was about dark, so not a whole lot more I could do. I don't have power at that end of the property, and it would be pretty monotonous to walk circles under the yard light at the other end of the property. I did pull his dinner back out of his dish, so just hay and water for supper tonight. I might give him another dose of Stomach Soother in the morning.

How cute, little "Manny" got a "mani" !!
default_laugh.png
default_biggrin.png

Non Mini post...

Here's my latest quilt in process, this is the one for the neighbor. All the pic will show is the fabrics for the most part, as there is lots more cutting and piecing to go. Trying to use only fabrics from my personal stash, which is quite extensive.

Als quilt - in process - 2012.jpg

And, a couple easy projects to use up some fabric that I couldn't decide how to use in a quilt:

pillowcases - fall 2012 - 1.jpg

pillowcases - fall 2012.jpg

Know what they are?

Ooooooo once again they are amazing and gorgeous - your neighbour is going to be thrilled with that quilt!

So sorry Topper had that little turn - very scary. Glad he seemed better - hope all is well today.
default_yes.gif

Yes Chanda, I have loads of pics of the varmit Rabbit, but to get them on my computer will require the unearthing of the ancient scanner and some complicated work to get them transferred - something I have been thinking about trying one day as I would love to 'safe keep' a lot of the old pics to disc instead of them being stuffed into boxes and relegated to the attic!! As I said 'one day' ................................??

Thank you, ladies, I sure hope he likes it.

No one is going to guess what my other little project is?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hummmmmmmmmmmm well that would depend upon their size -- pillow cases, colourful shopping bags for when you just need to pop out for a couple of items that you forgot earlier, grooming kit bags, shoe bags for keeping your pairs of shoes separate, clean and tidy, ............... I give up!!

Hummmmmmmmmmmm well that would depend upon their size -- pillow cases, colourful shopping bags for when you just need to pop out for a couple of items that you forgot earlier, grooming kit bags, shoe bags for keeping your pairs of shoes separate, clean and tidy, ............... I give up!!
The are folded in quarters, so bigger unfolded; they are pillowcases.

Is one of them a bag for you to put Monte's things in when you send him to me? What a cutie!
Could be. And, thank you, I think he's pretty darn cute, too.

I'll guess, I'll guess!!!!!

My guess is children's sleeping bags to climb into in the house when it's cold outside!!

Of course, I really LOVE Snapple's idea!
Not quite big enough or warm enough, but they might make cute doll sleeping bags (that would be a great idea, sized right, they could be doll sleeping bags, Barbie or baby doll).

Love Char's idea!!
default_thumbup.gif

Now you need to make quilts with matching pillowcases!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back