Hay Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcfarm

Reaction score
We have a new hay company in town. They are advertising some hay from KY, its timothy, orchard,clover and alfalfa. Never heard of this mixture. Is the clover safe for minis?

Thanks for any input

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds kind of rich, but I don't know what percentages of what hay. If it's mostly timothy/orchard, it would be ideal. But the alfalfa and the clover are legumes which are very rich. If it's good quality, it should be fine.

Andrea

I'm an alfalfa feeder, but our horses have access to natural grass pasture at all times too. I don't like to order mixed hay as I prefer to buy grass hays separately from alfalfa as I want to know the percentage of each in the bale.

I would think the thing you have to watch out for is the clover. Sometimes it gets black patch, a fungus I believe. It can cause the horse to drool ALOT. The 2010 spring here was cool, and our clover didn't get the black patch, so remained safe to eat. Can you test a bale on your horses before buying ton of it? Believe it or not, I have a very hard time finding good grass hay here in my part of KY. Almost everybody who bales it has alfalfa mix.

I am going to talk to them about the percentages. Maybe have them open a bale. I usually feed Timothy ot T&A. Lately its been rather dusty. Having to wet it down.

Latest posts

Back