Having a bad year

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So very sorry for your loss - its hard to know what to say but I would say to give yourself sometime before making a decision

So Sorry this happened to you. I've also along with lots of others have had our share of "bad foalings" It really does make you nervous at foaling time. I've got 5 more due and I'm quite nervous but praying for good outcomes.

That was a horrific experience for you, sorry about the outcome.
default_no.gif

I am very sorry for your loss. Two years ago we lost a mare and her foal after they spent ten days at UF's large animal hospital and accrued a $5000+ bill. When they did the necropsy it turned out she had a massive infection throughout her body. There was apparently a problem with her immune system as none of the lab work revealed the infection. We thought she was going into labor, she quickly developed hyperlipedemia and it went down hill from there. During the week she was in the hospital her best friend went into labor but no bubble appeared. The foal was very far up and breech. It took the vet a long time to get him out and he could not be revived. We have not been able to get her in foal since even though there was allegedly no damage and she was treated post delivery with antibiotics. About a month after we lost the mare and foal, the mare's other son developed what later was identified as infectious colitis. They thought he had salmonella at first so he spent a week at UF in isolation (more $$$) Luckily he survived and is doing well. Then I bought a gelding from a friend through a local mini auction. A month after we bought him he started straining while urinating and holding feces in his rectum. The vet thought he was collicing and we ended up transporting him to UF. They did the colic surgery but he didn't recover bowel movement. He couldn't swish his tail and the muscles started to weaken in his rear. It turned out that he had a neurological disorder like Guillain Barre Syndrome (Sp?)and he had to be put down, taking the last of our $$$. It was a horrible year for our whole family so I have some idea how you are feeling. Just know it does get better and there will be lots of times when your decisions save their lives and they enrich yours.

Ruth

I am very sorry for your loss. Two years ago we lost a mare and her foal after they spent ten days at UF's large animal hospital and accrued a $5000+ bill. When they did the necropsy it turned out she had a massive infection throughout her body. There was apparently a problem with her immune system as none of the lab work revealed the infection. We thought she was going into labor, she quickly developed hyperlipedemia and it went down hill from there. During the week she was in the hospital her best friend went into labor but no bubble appeared. The foal was very far up and breech. It took the vet a long time to get him out and he could not be revived. We have not been able to get her in foal since even though there was allegedly no damage and she was treated post delivery with antibiotics. About a month after we lost the mare and foal, the mare's other son developed what later was identified as infectious colitis. They thought he had salmonella at first so he spent a week at UF in isolation (more $$$) Luckily he survived and is doing well. Then I bought a gelding from a friend through a local mini auction. A month after we bought him he started straining while urinating and holding feces in his rectum. The vet thought he was collicing and we ended up transporting him to UF. They did the colic surgery but he didn't recover bowel movement. He couldn't swish his tail and the muscles started to weaken in his rear. It turned out that he had a neurological disorder like Guillain Barre Syndrome (Sp?)and he had to be put down, taking the last of our $$$. It was a horrible year for our whole family so I have some idea how you are feeling. Just know it does get better and there will be lots of times when your decisions save their lives and they enrich yours.

Ruth
OMG I feel absolutely awful about what you've had to endure. My heart goes out to you as well as the many other's.

Last edited by a moderator:
I learned about 15 years ago, that a person has to decide with their head, not their heart. As much as I would have liked to save the mare, I knew her chances were slim and the cost at the vet hospital would be so high. Knowing the probable outcome anyway, I did not want to see her suffer through surgeries, infections, and other complications. For over a week we tried to save a foal with neonatal maladjustment syndrome and he died anyway. The cost was not high in our efforts but he suffered too long. It's hard, but sometimes the best for the horse is not our storybook ending. Thanks everyone for sharing. I'm glad to know I'm not alone in this.

I am so sorry to read of your loss. I dont think this is horribly common, but obviously can. Hugs to you- that is a terrible experience to go through.

We are so very sorry for your loss.
no.gif
It has been a really terrible year for several farms.

I seem to be having strange things happening here. Friday a mare started to foal two months early. It was backwards, so I called the vet and she came out and got the foal, but the mare had prolapsed about 4 feet of her bowel through her rectum from straining so hard. I have never seen or heard about this in 30 years of horses and probably over a hundred foals. The bowel was torn besides so I knew there was no use trying to push it back in and had the mare euthanized. Very sad to see her go through this. I'm about to give up on having foals and have read several others on the forum are discouraged as well. Has anyone ever had this happen to a mare?
Keep in mind that when a mare aborts especially that late term its usually because the foal died in utero. Since the foal is dead it cant line itself up in the birth canal like a live foal would. Years ago a vet told me aborting mares have triple the chance of a dystocia vs full term foalings. When you think about it it does make sense

Also every year that I have been a member here people say "its the worst foaling year ever" because they read so many sad stories on here. But you have to keep in mind you are reading about foalings from all over the world. So in reality its a smaller number then you think it is. Also many that have easy foalings dont neccessarily post it but most will post a foaling gone bad.

My heart breaks for you as I know the pain. Sending good thoughts to you

Kay

We have had a bad year last season. I understand your pain and although what Kay says is true, dystocias can happen with a live foal as well. But live foals are usually easier to reposition. As was our experience last year.

Don't give up hope. Next year will be better. Please always remember that it isn't you and you did all you could. God Bless.

I am so sorry for your loss.. We lost 2 foals last year out of 3 and I am hoping this year that we dont lose any. We have 4 to have babies. One is already here A beautiful blk and white colt and 3 more left to go. Foaling is an exciting,nerve racking time here. Happiness when it works right and very depressing when it doesnt...Many years when it has been bad we have tossed around not breeding anymore and then you get that live healthy one and it makes things right somehow..

I'm so sorry for your loss.
default_no.gif
What a traumatic experience. I don't blame you for thinking about not breeding anymore. The flip side is when you get the absolute joy of a healthy beautiful foal and know you're the breeder; unfortunately we have to deal with the bad outcomes also.

Latest posts

Back