Hauling?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flatbroke Farms

Reaction score
How do you haul your mini(s)? What do you use? My gooseneck trailer just seems so massive for an itty bitty mini! I've been looking for a simple two horse trailer, but even then, the mangers are so high, etc. I know it is definitely doable, but I was curious what everyone here uses!

We have a couple trailers that are made just for miniature horses.

One is a bumper pull stock style trailer that is 8' long, 5' tall and 5' wide. It can haul 4 minis and has a cart / hay rack on top. It's a Big Valley brand and is 1994 but in very good shape.

The other is a gooseneck mini trailer that I totally love. It was custom made for us by Wrangler Trailers (link). It is 14' long, 6' tall, and 6' wide. It can haul 5 minis in the horse part of the trailer, but I had the wall between it and the dressing room made to swing. The dressing room is fully matted and if need be, I can haul 2 more minis there for a total of 7. It has drop down windows, big roof rack, interior lights, convenience lights, tie loops, etc. I have had this trailer for two years and honestly still can't help but smile when I look at it
default_yes.gif

Here are my two trailers:

WFM%20Gooseneck%20Trailer%20--%2009042006%20--%20012.jpg

Whinny%20For%20Me%20Farm%20--%2011102006%20--%20085.jpg

WFM%20Gooseneck%20Trailer%20--%2009042006%20--%20019.jpg

Mini%20Trailer%20and%20Truck%20--%2001272006%20--%20008.jpg

Truck%20and%20little%20mini%20trailer%20--%2007232006%20--%208.jpg

I use a little Miniature Horse trailer. It is 5' x 10'. No dressing room or anything, as I don't show my horses, so use strictly for hauling my horses when buying and selling. It's nice and lightweight and pulls easily. There is only one divider inside, making one smaller stallion stall, and then a larger one. Can easily haul 3 mature horses, with more or less depending on sex, age etc., and if the divider is opened or closed.

trailer1.jpg

trailer3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
because we do not have a fortune to spend on buying trailers at the moment that is and plus were just starting, what we are planning on doing is customizing a stock trailer with vents, windows, tie rings, etc.
default_yes.gif

because we do not have a fortune to spend on buying trailers at the moment that is and plus were just starting, what we are planning on doing is customizing a stock trailer with vents, windows, tie rings, etc.
default_yes.gif
A lot of people do that and it can work really well I think
default_yes.gif
One thing though is when you are picking out the trailer, it's important to get a 2-axel trailer in case you have a blow out, etc. It can be a death sentence with only one axel.

Another thing, too, is if you keep your eyes open, you might get lucky and find a deal on a used mini trailer. I'm almost embarrased to say my little gold one only cost $1,500! I bought it second hand but in great shape. It works just as good as a brand new one. I'd thought of selling it when I got the bigger one, but it is very handy and I couldn't price it really enough to make up for not having it around.

Not a fan of straight loads here. We have a small 2 horse straight load trailer BP and i hate it dearly. Its not set up for minis, the manger is way up high and i've found that since they cant see what is up there they like to try to jump and stand up in it with their front legs. Big horse straight loads are not imo great for minis.

Here is Old Red, she will be for sale sometime this month after we get a larger trailer ..

100_0756.jpg

We are currently upgrading to a larger trailer
default_biggrin.png

I've been shopping the past six months, its been very emotional for me. I know what i want ..i know what i like ..its just the finding it. Really at this point im not being to picky, our first show is April 19th and im taking 5 horses ...we need a larger trailer by then.

I was browsing today and found one nearby that i REALLY like, its older but its aluminum and looks brand new with LQ i the front for $6,000
default_laugh.png
. Its a very nice trailer.

Below is my list of what i want in a trailer ...things marked with a * are things i could live without

~Gooseneck

~Aluminum

~Slant load (must be able to convert into a 5 - 6 horse mini/shetland slant, were looking at 3 "big" horse slants to convert over to the 5-6 mini slants)

~Dressing room upfront with enough room to sleep in and put an AC in, cooler ext and all shows supplies and hangers for show jackets and show halters.

~Double doors in the back

~Ramp *

~Lights *

~Fans in horse area *

~ATLEAST 6ft tall

I show shetlands to, my largest is 44" so i want the trailer atleast 6ft tall ..plus i dont want to have to walk hunched over to get the horses. My biggest issue with the mini trailers (exept the wranglers of course) is that they are only about 5ft tall.

I wont go more in depth then that, i have a long list

honestly i'm not sure where people get the idea that "single axle trailers are death trap if the tire blows' comes from. I've driven trailers for years many are single axle's. Have had blow outs on them. they are no differnt than getting a blow out in your car or any other trailer. It just sinks down onto the rim. Sure it's a pain in the butt to change..but so isn't ANY tire.. any way you cut it you'll have to change a tire if you have a blow out be it single, double or triple axle. one issue with a single axle is that you can't "limp" it unless you don't care if you ruin your rim unlike with many double axles the second axle will hold up the first enough so you can drive it a little ways... they don't ride quite as smooth and have a little more bounce as well... They have some bonus's too such as lower tolls (on the east coast tolls are a big thing), less cost in tire matainence, Usually a lighter trailer that can be pulled by a smaller vehicle.

I've had blow outs a couple times towing multiple round bales(usually 3 or more) and never had any problems where i feared any real issues with the trailer or the load except i feared i'd destroy my rim..LOL

If single axle trailers were death traps or dangerous they would not be selling so many of them.

There are very, very, very few single axle horse trailers out there. The few that are have massive axles (7k+, sometimes duallies) and are extremely rare. Most of them are converted cargo trailers used by mini folk. I too wouldn't ever consider using a single axle trailer for hauling any kind of live cargo.

I use a 20' or 18' gooseneck for hauling mine. Yeah, its overkill, but its easy to drive and easy to have one (or two, in this case) "big horse" trailers that you can use to haul the lil ones. One thing to remember when doing this is most minis can go right underneith dividers!

In the past I've also hauled my pony in the back seat of my truck. I had it set up with a mat, crosstie, and other equipment to make it as safe or safer than a trailer. Hauling loose in a minivan or other vehicle is not a good idea unless specific modifications have been made.

In the past I've also hauled my pony in the back seat of my truck. I had it set up with a mat, crosstie, and other equipment to make it as safe or safer than a trailer. Hauling loose in a minivan or other vehicle is not a good idea unless specific modifications have been made.

When we purchased our mini, we hauled her home in the back of our Expedition. It wasn't ideal, but we crosstied her sideways and had a rough mat beneath her so she wouldn't slip. It worked out surprisingly well. But I'm definitely not certain it is something I would want to do on a regular basis!

DH said that he could make a removable stall to go in the back of the Expedition, but as I said, I'm not entirely sure how feasible that would be for more than a temporary solution.

I would love to have a mini trailer, but finding one seems to be like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Unless I want to pay a fortune for one. And were I to do that, I'd just get a large trailer since I have big ones, too!

Tara, if you are looking for a mini trailer, you can also look around for one of those little aluminum Haulmark trailers and have it customized with windows, roof vents etc. That might be a cheaper way to go?? And you may be able to find something like that easier than an actual mini trailer.
default_yes.gif

honestly i'm not sure where people get the idea that "single axle trailers are death trap if the tire blows' comes from. I've driven trailers for years many are single axle's. Have had blow outs on them. they are no differnt than getting a blow out in your car or any other trailer. It just sinks down onto the rim. Sure it's a pain in the butt to change..but so isn't ANY tire.. any way you cut it you'll have to change a tire if you have a blow out be it single, double or triple axle. one issue with a single axle is that you can't "limp" it unless you don't care if you ruin your rim unlike with many double axles the second axle will hold up the first enough so you can drive it a little ways... they don't ride quite as smooth and have a little more bounce as well... They have some bonus's too such as lower tolls (on the east coast tolls are a big thing), less cost in tire matainence, Usually a lighter trailer that can be pulled by a smaller vehicle.

I've had blow outs a couple times towing multiple round bales(usually 3 or more) and never had any problems where i feared any real issues with the trailer or the load except i feared i'd destroy my rim..LOL

If single axle trailers were death traps or dangerous they would not be selling so many of them.
I've got one sitting outside
default_smile.png
It's a fiberglass custom trailer I designed for the minis. I've hauled it THOUSANDS of miles and had only one flat. We decided to stop using it a few years ago, as it has had a LONG, busy life and I felt it was best suited to use now as a simple cargo trailer.

As far as hauling in a van or car, unless we're talking about a sick FOAL or an absolute, horse will die and I have no truck or trailer situation, I won't do it. The risk to the horse and MOST ESPECIALLY anyone in the car if the worst was to happen, is far too much of a risk for me. You can be killed by a stroller flying forward from a rear seat if you have to slam on your brakes, much less a 200-300 horse.

As far as hauling in a van or car, unless we're talking about a sick FOAL or an absolute, horse will die and I have no truck or trailer situation, I won't do it. The risk to the horse and MOST ESPECIALLY anyone in the car if the worst was to happen, is far too much of a risk for me. You can be killed by a stroller flying forward from a rear seat if you have to slam on your brakes, much less a 200-300 horse.
Definately! Do NOT do this unless you have constructed a safe situation that ASSUMES that you WILL get in an accident, or that the horse does the worst thing it could do (whatever that may be). I put a lot of thought and effort into my setup. He could not kick, strike, bite, distract the driver, or damage the vehicle. He could not damage any glass (unless he headbutted it from a standstill). He couldn't rear, couldn't move forwards or backwards more than 8", and couldn't go flying in an accident. In fact, we DID have a few panic stops (what's with people cutting you off then slamming on the brakes at 70mph?!) and he barely moved! In fact, he leaned into the barrier and used it to help balance himself. It really was an ideal situation! Now I hitch trailers daily, so there is little point to hauling him in the truck when I'm ALWAYS hitched to a trailer. I tow 100 miles a day, or more. I miss having him in the back seat though
default_sad.png

33.JPG

yes but you have to remember horse trailers are made to carry two 1500lbs horses (or more in most cases) plus the weight of the trailer and axles are only rated for so many pounds each (and you have to remember that weight isn't just the horse it's the rest of the trailer too bearing down on it) hence the double axles. many single axle trailers (depending of course on what you get) are rated for 1500lbs or more. The double axle's make it so you can carry more weight When you are talking two big horses plus the weight of the trailer on those axle's you need the extra axle. Many times you can count on about 4 mini's for the same weight as one large horse therefore you do not need the extra "weight" capacity.

What it boils down to is that people need to make sure they are hauling within the weight limits for that trailer but as far as "blowouts" I don't see them as being a automatic "death trap". I'm sure there probably are occational serious accidents that just happen like everything else in life, but i've also seen serious things happen with double axles as well. it's all a part of life.

I guess I am in the minority. After Spot was injured this past summer and I was frantically looking for a trailer, I decided to buy one. I looked at several conventionsl horse trailers. Some were straight loads, some were slant loads, with and without dressing rooms and I finally settled on a stock trailer. This thing is wide enough to put a miata in (hubby did it!!), is 16 feet long and we have used it more times than I thought we would and only once to haul a horse. It is perfect for loading up hay to bring home, wonderful for building supplies, car supplies, whatever. We even used it as a stall when we brought Peanut home! Since I don't show my boys and really only bought the trailer to use for a horse medical emergency, it sure is nice to be able to use it for other things, as well. They can easily see out, it has a metal roof and I just love it. It is certainly not fancy at all but extremely useful.

I have a standard 2 horse trailer but the mangers fold up and the front pushes forward so you can use the full size escape door. I just fold the manger up and can carry 4 minis in the 2 horse.

Here is our set up. It is a stock trailer we converted for our minis. We can haul 4 minis and the diveders are removable.

Trailer012.jpg

Trailer008.jpg

yes but you have to remember horse trailers are made to carry two 1500lbs horses (or more in most cases) plus the weight of the trailer and axles are only rated for so many pounds each (and you have to remember that weight isn't just the horse it's the rest of the trailer too bearing down on it) hence the double axles. many single axle trailers (depending of course on what you get) are rated for 1500lbs or more. The double axle's make it so you can carry more weight When you are talking two big horses plus the weight of the trailer on those axle's you need the extra axle. Many times you can count on about 4 mini's for the same weight as one large horse therefore you do not need the extra "weight" capacity.

What it boils down to is that people need to make sure they are hauling within the weight limits for that trailer but as far as "blowouts" I don't see them as being a automatic "death trap". I'm sure there probably are occational serious accidents that just happen like everything else in life, but i've also seen serious things happen with double axles as well. it's all a part of life.

True... BUT, if my trailer only had one axle, it'd still have more than enough capacity for the load I use with it (two horses). They aren't just for capacity, you can get huge axles. Even huge trailer's weight is dwarfed by the weight of a heavy axle. 10k axles are cheap and very common, my trailer has a pair of 7k axles and it only has 16' of horse space. So capacity isn't the whole story. Double axles offer smoother rides as well. Backup in case of failure is a big part, but remember that a failure of one axle will QUICKLY overload the remaining axles on a full load.

"Overaxling" will cause problems too... heavier suspension results in a very rough ride. Our 18' trailer has two 5400lbs axles and bounces like all get out if its not loaded to the gills. However, my new 20' trailer with dual 7k axles rides smooth as can be, but that's because it has brand new, top of the line axles.

I'll always trust a dual axle rig over a single one. Dual's offer a smoother ride, easier handling of bumps and potholes, as well as safety in case of a failure. Having more than one torsion axle can also offer very easy tire changing; you can use a ramp to change a torsion tire, but need a jack for a traditional spring axle. Having a trailer that has an "extra" axle is a very good insurance policy. Loosing a tire (never mind a flat) can have devistating results in a single axle trailer (can cause them to roll easily). And most people don't maintain their trailers as well as they do their cars, and we all know how well the average person maintains their car :p

I LOVE my stock trailer... extremely useful. Right now its my mobile storage unit. Last week it was our moving van. Hasn't hauled a horse in months
default_smile.png
We're using the 3h slant gooseneck for most of the horse hauling at the moment... I highly recommend stock trailers to anyone needing a VERY useful rig that can do pretty much anything! With minis you can pick up the cheaper cattle versions. They are shorter than the horse versions; mine is 7', cattle are 6'6" or less.

trailer.JPG

inside.JPG

I shudder whenever I see someone hauling horses in a single axle trailer. Those trailers just give such a poor ride in comparison to a dual axle trailer, because you get the forward/backward rocking (teeter totter effect) on that single axle. It's just not something I'd ever haul horses in, nor would I recommend one to anyone else. My utility trailer was a single axle, & I disliked that thing, even though it wasn't hauling live cargo.

So many people don't pay any attention to how much noise a trailer makes--that's also something I'm very particular about. I always ride in a trailer before I buy; if I find it noisy, I won't put horses in it. I've been in trailers that have a booming roof once you get going down the road. I've been in trailers that rattle and bang and clang from every conceivable part--I figure if the noise would drive me squirrelly, the horses won't much appreciate it either! I know someone that hauls an old stock trailer, and the noise that thing make is unreal. When they go past here I can hear that trailer coming way down the the road--it's awful, positively the noisest trailer I've ever come across.

I'm now hauling a 14' stock trailer; it's 5' wide and 6'4" high; I'd have been happy with 6' high, but the 6'4" works just fine--I find it tows much nicer than the 7' high two horse we had previously. I just have the center gate in it, so it's divided into two box stalls. The horses can ride however they please; usually they choose to stand facing backward.

We use an older model 2 horse straight load for hauling to the vet, short trips, etc, but it's all steel (about 25 years old) and has a large tack room so it's really heavy for just a two horse. It's a dual axel and is kind of old and rusty looking, but it works!

For the shows (hauling 3-6 minis) we use our 3 horse slant with mid tack and living quarters. We just got it last year and haven't had it modified for minis yet, so we just had the factory add stud dividers between each stall and then put 2 minis in each slot with the back slot being good if we have momma and baby to haul.

truckandtrailer.jpg

I guess I am in the minority. After Spot was injured this past summer and I was frantically looking for a trailer, I decided to buy one. I looked at several conventionsl horse trailers. Some were straight loads, some were slant loads, with and without dressing rooms and I finally settled on a stock trailer. This thing is wide enough to put a miata in (hubby did it!!), is 16 feet long and we have used it more times than I thought we would and only once to haul a horse. It is perfect for loading up hay to bring home, wonderful for building supplies, car supplies, whatever. We even used it as a stall when we brought Peanut home! Since I don't show my boys and really only bought the trailer to use for a horse medical emergency, it sure is nice to be able to use it for other things, as well. They can easily see out, it has a metal roof and I just love it. It is certainly not fancy at all but extremely useful.
That's exactly what we have now. I went from the converted cargo trailer to an 18' gooseneck (I was hauling up to 18 minis at a time to shows) and now we have a 16' bumper pull stock trailer. I had D rings bolted through the side of the trailer (mid wall & a few inches off of the floor) and tie aluminum 6' stock gates in as needed for dividers. It works great and is safe.

Latest posts

Back