Has Anyone Switched From Riding Horses to Minis?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaybeMinis

Reaction score
The title pretty much says it all.

After a very rough past two years, and going through a lot, I have some issues that make riding less doable for me at the moment. I really don’t know when or if I will ride again like I used to. I loved to ride. I want to love to ride. But my body and mind aren’t cooperating.

Rather then trying to find a suitable horse for me to ride (I need something with smoother gaits and reliable. Not the jackhammer and cheeky unstarted project I have now) I have been seriously considering taking a break from that part of horses entirely for awhile, maybe forever, and switching to minis.
To do that (or get a more suitable riding horse) I would have to sell my boys, my babies, but that’s a different issue. Lol

What I’m asking is, has anyone done it? Just jumped from full sized horses to minis?
Do you miss riding? Do you regret it/wish you could have a full sized horse again? What are the biggest differences, size aside?

I would consider selling just one of my horses and getting a mini to see how it goes, but I have no clue how my young (six year old) gelding would be with it and I’m concerned it would get hurt as he’s quite energetic and bossy. Is that concern valid?

Thank you!

Hello and welcome,
Yes I did. I've had big horses forever. My area was being encroach by the city, which took away my riding range. So, when my two passed from old age, I thought my horse days were over. I was introduced to minis 4 years ago I was hooked and my horse fix was satisfied. I love minis. So curious and loving and more bonded then my big horses. I do miss riding but I have gone to ranches that offer trail rides. Not the same as on your own horse but it works for me.

Last edited:
I'd guess quite a few of us have switched. Or have both. I switched maybe 4 or 5 years ago due to an injury which prevents me from riding. I miss riding most days, especially since I just moved to a place with the most fabulous riding trails ever. What I missed the most was that the minis aren't all like horses. Some of them don't seem like horses at all. They don't all have much personality or brains. They also don't react the same to round pen training if that's your thing. On the other hand some of them do seem just like small horses, and I've got 2 great ones in my barn now, plus a colt. If it were me, I would probably keep them separated if you want big horses and minis. Easy enough to do, if you are leaning towards a pet quality mini they tend to gain weight easily and are often best kept on a dry lot anyway, so a handful of fence panels makes a nice area where they can touch through the fence but not hurt each other.

Welcome!
I switched from riding to driving minis years ago purely because I did not own my own big horse and the neighbor had minis. Since then I have absolutely fallen in love with driving. I used to ride several times a week, but now I don't care for it anymore, even though I have big horses too now. I actually have started drive my big horses!
Depending on what type of mini you get, I'd say the biggest differences are dietary and behavioral.
Some old style minis are extremely laid back or can get fat on air which can lead to many health issues and it is best to be aware of that in advance.
The Shetland blend minis are spicy hot bundles of energy who sometimes require 8-10lbs of grain to keep in shape. Pound for pound they have more spunk than any big horse! I like them for driving though.
Whatever style you get, it's important to remember that they are still little horses and need to be treated like them with good ground manners and training.

As for big horses being pastured with minis, some horses do great with them, others cannot stand the sight of them. My Arabs tolerate them and my lead mare is totally intimidated by the minis when they decide to boss her. The smaller the mini, the bigger the attitude! My little 31.5" mare is the queen of the barn!

Minis are a lot of fun, whatever style or size you go with. And they are extremely addictive! Good luck with your decision!

Welcome @MaybeMinis! I can't say I've made a "switch", but we do have both. Right now I'm driving plenty and barely riding because I've had some health issues since January. I just don't have the energy to be able to ride my 16+ hh warmbloods right now! But I can drive our mini horse and mini donkey. We've trained them ourselves, lots of learning because finding driving resources isn't the easiest and funding the cost of good equipment is a bit daunting too! However, I am so grateful I have these little turkeys in my life. They certainly won't replace my big horses, but I'm glad to have an option to still be active and involved at my capacity with them. I fully expect that when I'm unable to ride well safely or comfortably anymore, I'll have my littles to enjoy and drive.

I switched. I rode all my life. When I lost my big riding pony I decided to downsize to minis and drive. I have rheumatoid arthritis and thought it would be easier but it really isn't. I have two minis and I drove for 3-4 years but now rarely drive as it's harder for me to harness and hitch than it was to tack up a bigger horse. Much harder. I do keep busy with the minis, I show in-hand and do agility and in-hand dressage, but to be honest, I miss riding. I love my minis but if I had to do it again, I'd get a big pony/small horse to ride.

I got my biggie when he was 8yo, he is now 24 yo. We use to trail ride, camp and compete all over the state of TX. I was riding about 5-6 days a week. I stopped riding when I got my first mini a few years ago, retired my biggie and haven’t looked back. Now I am trail driving my minis about 5 days a week and camping out with them. I have a bike, which I feel is as close to riding as one can get. I am really amazed how my body feels too! I use to have some major neck and back pain when riding, now I am pain free! Sometimes I do miss riding, but the risks just aren’t worth it for me. No matter how great a riding horse, they are still a horse and have a mind of their own. The only thing hard about riding is the ground 🤣 and I don’t bounce back like I use to 🤣🤣

All of my minis have the sweetest personalities, they all follow me around the barn, but I do spend a ridiculous amount of time with them 😍😍

I only see mini horses (and cats 🤣) in my future and I am super excited about that! ♥️♥️

IMG_2294.png

Yes, I have also switched, at least for the time being. I rode for about 35 years with a couple of gaps (college, etc.). Do I miss it? Good question. I would say generally not that much but some. My time is very limited due to a demanding job and a fairly long commute plus a kid, and I have my mini set up so that if I can't make it out during the week it's not a problem. So the amount of pressure on me is much less than if I had a big horse that needed to be ridden and cleaned up after every day.

I do find him to be very much a big horse in a small body. He has loads of personality, opinions aplenty, lots of energy, and a lot of things to teach me.

I will tell you that whenever I am tempted to think about getting a big horse again, the thought of all that additional work, expense, and frustration (saddle fitting, hoof problems, injuries, all those things that keep you from riding) just makes me feel tired. Right now, a mini is just enough horse for me. The chores are easy enough that even if I don't get out there for a whole week, it only takes me about 30 minutes to get him all cleaned and set up for the next week (it helps that he piles his manure all in one spot for me and doesn't walk through it!). It still feels like a horse fix, even though I wish I could spend more time there. But for me, horses were always more about just being around them than the riding, really. I like riding, but I guess it's not really a must-have for me. I can't say I'll never go back to it but it's quite possible I won't.

Does that help? 😆

I just joined the other day as we are about 10 days into mini horse ownership. We have 3 big horses, aged 22-30, and for various reasons (work, kid, etc) ride very little. We just adopted a mini to hopefully be a pasture friend for our 30 yo gelding, as the mares are too mean to share turnout 😣

So far we haven't mixed him in with the gelding but I am amazed at how calm the big horses are with him through the fenceline. He strikes and squeals like the little stallion he used to be and they just sniff and walk away when they are tired of it (even our saltiest mare).

I do ride one of the big horses occasionally but could imagine when the old ones pass having one riding horse for the family and then minis rather than more large horses we don't have time to ride.

I also switched from riding horses to minis several years ago. I had riding horses (2 at a time) for almost 25 years. When one of my last horses passed away I couldn't find a suitable full size companion for my remaining horse. When my farrier came by to trim my old boy "Chico" I told him about my dilemma and he said he had a mini he could let me borrow until I could find another riding horse. I had never thought of getting a mini and didn't know anything about them. Needless to say, I excepted his offer. I "borrowed" Lady for the next 15 years until she passed away at 28 yrs. 8 mos. After Chico died, I got 2 mini donks to replace him and keep Lady company. I currently have 2 mini geldings and 2 mini donks. I'm almost 70 (Crazy number!), an age where bones break easier and I'm not willing to chance falling off a horse. Minis give me my horse fix. Minis also suit me better. I am a smaller person, not quite 5' and I weigh about 102 lbs. I am very grateful that my farrier introduced me to minis all those years ago. I miss riding once in a while, but not enough to regret my decision.

Welcome! Yes I had a couple of minis when my riding horse passed away at 27 and stayed with them. They are “all horse“ in a smaller size. 😍 At a really practical level, they have remained affordable in regard to feed, even though prices have risen over the past few years. Vet and farrier fees remain the same, at least in our area.

I have had many wonderful experiences with my minis both alone and with assorted family members. While small, they have still carried me through some difficult times as well. They have a big horse heart, mind, and sense of mischief.

Your experience can be as simple or sophisticated as you desire. Everything from walking through the woods together to very competitive and technical driving and showing events, including dressage and CDE.

Wishing you all the best as you continue to move forward!

Wow! I’m shocked by how many of you have experience with this and replied.

I appreciate it so much, and it has definitely been a helpful read. So thank you! All of you!

Like a couple of you mentioned, riding is causing me back and hip issues, and if I can’t stop my hips from getting knocked out of place whilst I’m riding then I don’t want to do it anymore. It’s not worth it to get hurt more often then not whenever I ride above a walk.
Just had surgery four months ago and now getting my hips knocked out pulls the scar tissue so it’s become a bigger issue and I’m feeling quite defeated.

I’ll have to keep thinking about it. Thank you all again!

I’m sorry to read about your surgery and subsequent problems. It is so hard to be patient when healing is a long haul. Hopefully this forum can provide some distraction, education, and entertainment as you heal. This past Fall and Winter were difficult but could always find a smile or chuckle lurking on the forum somewhere!

If it is possible to borrow or lease a mini at a nearby facility, that may give you an idea how walking and working with a mini feels, emotionally and physically. If you can bring one home on a temporary basis, definitely separate from your big horse for the duration.

For the hip issues - if you'd like to PM me I can suggest some saddle-related things that could help (I fitted and sold treeless saddles for about 10 years so I have some experience with this issue from that perspective).

Latest posts

Back