Hello! I'm new.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annie2003

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am beginning my homestead journey and was simply going to start by getting some chickens and a few hair sheep but a local therapy riding center did not get enough funding to continue and has to sell all their horses and they have some minis!

I always knew I would have horses but I never thought it would be minis.

I am planning on getting 2 so that they are not lonely.

Welcome @Annie2003! I'm sure you'll find loads of information throughout the forum here. Everyone is very friendly, helpful and encouraging. I was a rider all my life, big warmbloods, dressage, etc. Then I found out what a joy driving minis is - especially mini donkey driving, and now I don't ride anymore! I have a mini mare, Jasmine, my teenage daughter trained to drive, and a mini donkey, Phillippe, who is the love of my life! haha. We competed in our first combined driving event last summer. And recently I acquired a hackney pony as well.

Regarding housing, we're in central Alberta, Canada. It can get bitterly cold in the winter and plenty hot in the summer. We're all outdoors with the animals, no barn, but plenty of 3-sided shelters. All the fences are 2 x 6 wood plank where horses are across the fence from each other, with a strand of barbwire on top of the board to prevent chewing. Perimeter fencing we do use some wire on its own here and there. And automatic waters.

Hi and welcome. I joined this forum about 2 years ago when I acquired 2 new mini horses who were much younger than my previous mini. 1 of the boys was actually completely untrained. I asked a lot of questions about how and what I should be doing with my boys and in return, I got a lot of helpful, invaluable information. You mentioned driving. One of my boys drives and I am currently having the second one taught how to drive too. I am also learning :). In addition to the 2 mini horses, I have 2 mini donkeys. I house them in a barn at night, year round. I like to make sure that they are safe and sound, cuz I'm a nervous Nelly. They also have 3 run in sheds that they can access during the day. Good luck with your new adventure. Minis are lots of fun.

There is plenty of good driving advice to be found here, and if yours are trained to drive you may even be able to put them to work on your homestead. I want a tiny reel mower that a mini can pull. 🤣 Shelter depends alot on where you are and what you have. I'm in PA, and my guys have a bank barn. But they would be just as happy with a 3 sided shelter in our area.

Welcome, I’m in western Ky and mine are using a 3 sided shed. Yes I do drive them. Hopefully this summer I can not only pleasure drive them but also start using them to do work around the farm. Things like dragging logs for firewood, and such. Tractor Supply and also Rural King sell a 5ft ground driven “ small acreage rake “ that is next on my list to get for them to rake the yard. Eventually I’m planning to build a reel mower for them too. Most of all just enjoy them.

Welcome Annie! We are in central Minnesota and our weather pattern can be extremely cold, wet and snowy for long periods of time and also, hot and dry in summer months.

We do have a barn that can be closed, but typically, the doors remain open for the horses to have free choice as to where they want to hang out. Even in the coldest weather, they often prefer to be outside. When it is snowing heavily, or raining, I do close the doors to keep the horses inside and dry until the system passes.

Looking forward to hearing about the minis you bring home!

Welcome to the forum!

I keep my mini in a pole barn with a 12x12 stall. I do drive but I'm very new. So far it is a tremendous amount of fun and lots to learn.

Laura

Latest posts

Back