Has anyone ever converted there pick-up trucks ?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Draggin Tails Minis

Reaction score
If anyone has converted their pick-up trucks for transporting 1 or 2 minis at a time, I would love to know how you did it, and see pictures of what it looks like. I do have a small horse trailer, but was wondering about converting a pick-up truck. Also, would it be safe? Would it be a rougher ride for the mini? Any info or advise would be greatly appreciated.

I dont have a truck but did convert a 15 passanger van to carry 3 minis. It works great it can be a bit tricky for hard loaders in fact to be honest not sure how safe it would be with horses that don't haul well (unless they were in there alone) but has worked great for my small show string and taking horses to the vet clinic

My very first 2 mini mares were brought to me in the back of a pickup with a camper shell. They did wonderful and I thought it was a great idea. I had to make sure I had a low spot in the yard for the pickups back tires to backup in so the tailgate was lower.
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally have not but know someone who did. They mainly have A division horses and they took one of the taller canopy shells that had sliding windows in it and made dividers in it to haul 2 very comfortably straight in.

I think the hardest part would be loading and unloading. You would have to figure out a safe ramp. If you put a floor in the shell you could have a ramp slide under the floor quite easily.

They make the BOB haulers that go in the back of the truck. I am thinking of making something similar for when I need to make a quick trip with 1 or 2 horses. Say to the vet or something.

a good buddy of mine has had her truck canopy converted, and that is how she hauls to shows. the only thing that I don't like with her rig, is she has a complicated ramp, and is also hauling a trailer with all her carts etc... I worry (a thing I tend to do best
default_rolleyes.gif
: ) about a horse going down, or needing to get out in a hurry, say in an accident...and having all that crap to move and unhitching to do then the ramp to lower, before you can even think of getting the horses out. In a case like just going to the vets, or a parade or something...I would possibly consider it, but it is just so much easier, IMHO, to hook onto a trailer, than to get the canopy onto the truck, and fasten it down.

Even in my van the loading is an issue. Not really the ramp It is wide enough but really to be honest the issues is and I am sure it would be the same in a pick up, the amount of room or lack there of.. when they get in the back to turn them around and safely get them in the stall.

My center one is the easiest and I use that for the least experienced haulers I just open up the 2 dividers walk them in straight and turn them around.

The 2 side ones are hard they have little room to manuver and they back in (with a slightly sharp turn) to there spots however unloading is a cinch- they ride facing backwards so they can come straight out. I figured I would rather spend time getting them IN so i could get them OUT quickly in an emergency.

I can try to take some pictures later today if you want to see the "stall" set up we made.

I have hauled a 37 in gelding in there and while his head was close (but thanks to Sue C he has a poll bumper) but he was very comfortable

Last edited:
I went to teh website of the "mini hauler" and printed off pics and my husband is going to build me one. They are too cool...........I thin it woudl be better then dragging around a gooseneck horse trailer for a couple of minis especially if you are going out of state.

:aktion033: Thank you all for the info and advise. I really appreciate it. I will take all that has been said and pass it on to my hubby. I think that if we really think this through, figuring in all the details, the loading and unloading, etc., we could probably design one that would have no flaws. I will not just settle for something, I want it to be as safe as possible and easy to use. I will not take any chances with my little lovebugs.

I would still love to see any pictures of converted vehicles. It will not only be neat to see, but might give us some good ideas. We love being creative and building things, and with the imagination that my hubby has, I think that this just might work.
default_smile.png

I went to teh website of the "mini hauler" and printed off pics and my husband is going to build me one. They are too cool...........I thin it woudl be better then dragging around a gooseneck horse trailer for a couple of minis especially if you are going out of state.
Do you have the website address for the "mini hauler" ? Thanks

My first hauler was made of plywood and would haul a mare and foal. We made a ramp that fit beside the hauler in the truck bed. We used it maybe 5 times and then bought a BOB hauler which carries 4 minis. I almost NEVER use my horse trailer anymore. The hauler is the way to go.

Linda she made me a couple

Here is a pic of the van- I do know some who just put there horses in loose in a var,truck,van I dont think that is a safe thing to do at all IMO- they need some support in case you slam on your brakes or worse..

we built a "step" that part uses the slider part of the hitch so that the ramp didnt have to be very steep. I can also put bales of hay there after they are loaded although I havent yet.

I could have made it a bit better with expanded metal and would have been my preference but had to use what we had laying around here. The whole thing is really a large box and it wouldnt take much to slide the whole thing out although it isnt something you can do over and over there are bolts and such holding it all in.

000_0796.jpg

We have used our pickup shell when going a good distance to pickup minis we have bought and it works very well. Les has also built a ramp for when we get home it is easy unloading. We have found that some breeders have built a ramp for thier customers to use at pickup time which makes it really handy, otherwise we have to find a spot to back up to that has some heigth for loading. Really saves taking the horse trailer which can slow us down some. We have hauled a couple at a time and usually haul loose so they can adjust for their comfort. I like being able to see them from the cab and know what they are up to. Mary

I'm glad to see this thread- I'd even been thinking of getting a mini just for this purpose! I do not have a truck and trailer, and don't see being able to add one in the next few years. Right now for my Shetlands and big horses I have to hire a hauler.

But I do have a little truck with a camper shell. It's relatively new, only has 40,000 miles, and I keep thinking I could rig it up to haul a mini to shows- therefore making it much easier and less expensive for me to actually show one!

my husband built us one, it's like a camper shell, he custom fit it to the truck. i like it because we can look throught the window and see how they are doing, unlike the trailer. for hauling one or two long distances it's great - we had 2 yearlings and a weanling in it once and they still had plenty of room (long-bed truck). and especially hauling in a state where they have a lower speed limit for vehicles with trailers, it saves us a lot of time. we don't have dividers but i watch constantly and have seen no issues with turning corners, braking or increasing speed. the pics are at home so i will edit later and post what we have. to me it looks like the Beverly Hillbillies, but hey it works!!

as for loading, the two of us can scoop up a mini and pop them in... if we don't have a porch or hill to back up to. we've unloaded them the same way but it's harder because they try to "help" by jumping, you have to have a good hold on them and not mind being kicked (not hard, just them trying to jump). i much prefer backing up to a hill!! but we have never had one hurt loading, riding or unloading.

Is there a way to make one of these thats light so i can remove it? maybe something that the sides go in the scwar holes on the bad and the roof bolts on?.. my dads not really home alot alot and really not during the day.. so i need something my mom would feel safe with that isnt something atashed to the back even a bumper hitch, my mom dont like backing up with it.. we also dont own a horse trailer yet we borrow my unkles.. now we can borrow the goose neck "my dad got a new truck for work" he gave my mom the 150 when he got his f 350.. so i would like to make something that i can set up in an hour or so and take off when im done.. any ideas?

Latest posts

Back