Harness Suggestions Please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreamer

Reaction score
I very recently acquired a new driving horse. He is an easy measure at 36" but is very refined and narrow. Doesn't fit in my B size harness so I am borrowing my mom's A size harness. Problem is while I have adjusted it as well as I can, I just don't care for how it fits him and neither does he. It's a star lake harness and I love this harness on the horses they are for but it just isn't working for him. So I would like suggestions on what you have and like or a harness that you haven't liked and why. I am looking for a well made leather harness that will last and work well on a horse of a finer build. Not looking for super expensive more in the mid to lower range.

He will mainly be driven in a relatively flat pasture and occasionally participate in trail drives and parades if use will help determine your recommendations.

I love the "carriage harness" from Ozark Tack. Very adjustable and comes with both side check and overcheck.

Check out Iowa Valley Carriage. Sandee has a very good selection of harnesses, and all are custom made to fit your horse. Call her and she will walk you through the process of what measurements you need to supply and she will provide you with the special sizes your horse needs. Her harnesses are all Amish made and she will stand behind every one. We have several of her show harnesses and recently purchased a beta pleasure harness for training and pleasure driving.

We are always frustrated with the "A" and "B" sizing on mini harnesses. How can you expect a harness to fit properly when the primary criteria for measuring it is the height of the horse when the height of the animal is determined by the length of the legs? You really don't have to spend a great amount of money to get a custom fit harness and if it fits right your horse will be happier and the harness will last longer for you.

Good Luck!

Good idea Marsha but not really an option, its just a temporary thing. Thanks Renee and horsenaround I will give both a call. They look nice. And I agree determining a harness based on height doesn't work. Too many different body styles for that to work.

I second the suggestion of the carriage harness from Ozark. That is what I have--two Mini size and 1 pony size. It's a very well made harness, and you can custom order it. My pony harness was standard stock, but both my Mini harnesses were custom fit, so they fit perfectly.

I got a harness from Ozark and it has been great. The back strap that came with mine was way to long so I emailed them. They told me what measurements to take and had one custom made for me. They gave me the option to ship the original one back or pay $19 for the new one. Great to work with and a fantastic product.

I do have to admit, I've been lusting after the "comfyfit" harness all summer. It's more $$ but I love how the breast collar is shaped. Maybe if I save my pennies...

Back