Intro

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gwen

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm in wet-stern Oregon. We currently have llamas and Fjords, but no minis. I helped evac (and return) a friend's horses, including a mini, due to the Cedar Creek fire this year, and decided I would like to know more about minis. If we add any miniature horses in the future, I want to be prepared!

My primary attraction to miniature horses is driving. I drove one of my llamas for many years (he passed in 2009), and my biggest complaint is that he was so mentally and physically well-suited to harness that I still haven't been able to replace him.

Welcome! Miniature horses are fun… So much personality in a tiny package! Would love to see some photos of your Fjords and Llamas! especially a photo of your driving llama! He sounds like he was special! We have little Apaché here in Sydney who doesn’t drive (yet?!) but is a companion to my new horse and takes the kids for pony rides.

LOL, I'm busy all right; fortunately I had an opportunity to retire early and grabbed it, so my whole world revolves around the farm and the animals now. Still, time is my primary concern about adding one more thing (minis) to my plate.

Dusty was always ready to go for a drive. He had a true trot that he could sustain for hours. Most llamas mix gaits in harness because their true middle gait is a singlefoot. Between that and llamas' relatively poor hindquarter muscling, most just walk (slower than a human!) in harness as a novelty thing. I've known a few other really sharp driving llamas over the years, though.

I haven't had a good harness prospect llama here for a long time (either brains, natural gaits, or muscling didn't measure up ... and all three are required), but I do have one 2022 male who sure seems to have everything nailed, and at minimum we have a 7/8 sib planned for 2024. My current leaning is that if Gio (the 2022 guy) doesn't make the grade after all, I'll give up on having another decent driving llama and go with one or two minis instead. I just can't get my head around driving a full-size horse, even a Fjord.

Welcome @Gwen ! What an exciting farm you have. I don't understand Llamas at all, but I appreciate how interesting they are. My daughter adores Fjords and asks me to buy her one every time we see one. They're such characters. No doubt you'll be successful with mini horses if you can be successful with Fjords and Llamas!!
I love Oregon. I live in Alberta, Canada but got the opportunity to spend a few days in Oregon when we drove my warmblood stallion home from California up the coast. If I could live anywhere in the world, I think that's where I'd go.

Back