harness question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tammie-C_Spots

Reaction score
I just bought this new harness. But it has no "wrap straps" but has a buckle where the shaft just seems to "sit". See photo- how does this attach to the shafts? What am I missing? Help!

harness.JPG

Tammie

There are no wrap straps. The one strap connects to the girth, and the other is your "wrap strap" You just put the shafts through the loops. Then instead of wrapping you just buckle in the tie down straps (top strap attached to the loops). Very simple IMO, both my harnesses have that feature. Less time to harness and easier to unhitch.
default_yes.gif

Hope that helps

As the previous poster said you dont' need wrap straps. just slide your shafts through the tug loops and then see the buckle at the bottom of the girth that has nothing attached to it? slide it up and buckle it to the strap that hangs off the tug loops (just like on the opposite side). those are Tillbury tugs. You will probably definatly want some tug stops on your shafts so the shafts don't slide right through the loops.

Actually those are what's called "open tugs," not Tillbury. The tug loops on Tillbury and French tugs (the real ones, not some I've seen by that name on mini show harnesses) snug down around the shaft like a slip knot when you tighten the overgirth and may safely be used without breeching for shows. Open tugs like yours are regular tug loops with a strap attached to the side or bottom that buckles into the overgirth. Their purpose is to allow the shafts of a well-balanced carriage to float in the tug loops so that bounces and jolts don't transfer to the horse via the girth and saddle. WITH BREECHING this is a very safe, comfortable style of harnessing. The traces pull the carriage forward, the breeching holds it back off the horse, and all the tugs have to do is hold the shafts up and keep them from flipping up in an emergency. The horse gets to float easily along in the middle of this balanced system without being strapped tightly to the cart.

However without breeching this tug style would be very dangerous. Even with tug stops it's quite possible for the shaft to slip forward through the tug loop and allow the cart to run up on the horse's heels which is likely to cause a terrible accident. Don't take chances- use breeching!

Leia

Thanks for all the information! It did come as a "full harness" with breeching, bridle, breastplate ect. Now I know how this works
default_smile.png
Thanks! Tammie

Latest posts

Back