harness fit and age to start ?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minihingstar

Reaction score
How do you think my harness is fitting on my boy ? Have some trouble to see if the breastcollar is on the right hight.

And when do you start with your horses ? This boy is now 2½ and thinking on start to work him in long line this autumn and put him in front of a cart spring next year. Or am I to early ?

I am loving that beautiful harness! Where did you get it?

I have a mare that is the same age that I am starting on the long line this fall and hoping to put to cart next spring/summer. So I say, sounds good. I know people have said to wait until after age 2 to put a bit in their mouth since their mouth is still developing.

Very nice harness. The breast strap looks good but check or have someone else check when he moves that it's not interfering with his forward movement (pushing against the point of his shoulder).

I dont start anything except in hand basic manners before 3 years old .... but i think ground driving until age 3 then starting with the cart would be just fine . I think anything younger then that is too much for their brain and body maturity ...but thats just my oppinion. I d ground drive for the next 6 months or so , then you will know that your horse has totally got the hang of it before you but metal between you and him ; ) I see a lot of rushed horses here ..... they toss their heads, and look very unhappy and confused , these people do 1 day of ground driving and then stick them in front of a cart ... its so scarry to watch them drive , its a mixed emotion for me , saddness because i know the horse is unhappy , and confused , and fear because I know that its by the skin of their teeth that they have not had an accident yet .... take it slow and have fun

MajorClementine: The harness is from http://sinkadus.eu/

Norah: I will take it really slow
default_smile.png
Now we will just walk some minutes 2 times a weeks just for him to accept the bit (the harness there are no reaction on). And later start slowly with the ground driving. He will be 3 when hes put before a cart. And does even plan to have him start in pair since hes small and when he have some more stamina and balance start working him alone in cart.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back