Halter Obsticle Training

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoey3

Reaction score
I have two minis I am starting to train for halter obsticle. They are doing well with going over the bridge and the posts I have set up, nothing phases them. They are also doing well in backing up. They are still weanings, one is an April born AMHR(over) filly and the other a May born ASPC(under) filly. I am hoping to show the April born filly in a show in April. Her exact birth date is April 17th and the show day is April 20th. May be cutting it too close, someone said the ealiest age for the AMHR overs is 1 yr. It will only be for practice.

Anyways I want to buy a training video to help me with side passing and pivoting. I want to make sure I do it the right way.

Thanks!

Techanically in AMHR's eyes they are already a year old so they can show in obstacle now. They don't go by the exact age. I think ASPC is the same way. Good for you in training these yearlings, I enjoyed teaching mine when he was their age. I honestly just did it with mine I had no videos and just learned by experience. Now I do go thru training videos just learning all kinds of different groundwork not necessary points to one thing or another and it helps with pivots, backing, sidepassing, etc... I don't know if there is a specific video of obstacle training in minis, I'm sure there is.

I have Patty Cloke's DVD "Training for Halter and Obstacle". The write-up on it states: "This DVD covers the basics for training for Halter Obstacle or Trail in Hand classes. From basics of walking, trotting and stopping with your horse to a complete obstacle course including bridges, water hazards, gates, backing and much more."

While it's the only one I've seen and can't compare it to others, I found it very helpful. We even used it as a winter training session for our 4-H Club. Ozark Mountain (www.minitack.com) has it for $39.95. You might also want to check the Little Horse Barns Auction and eSale link on this board or even eBay to see if you can find it for less.

Good luck with your training!

Patty Cloke's video is also on giddyupflix.com - where you can rent it to see if you like it. There's another one too, that is supposed to be better and more detailed, I'll see if I can find the name of it.

I also go through a lot of "big horse" obstacle videos for hints and tips that I can use with the halter obstacle. Also, showmanship videos are great for a lot of it.

I use some John Lyons exercises, that work really well to train pivots, back, and sidepass.

Edited to add - found it "Training your miniature horse for halter obstacle" by Joanne Ross. It's available at starlake tack and small horse press.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oooooh! I will have to try this . Flying Minis, how does the rental program work? I can look it up when I get home, but was hoping you had experience with it:)

You pay a monthly fee (depending how many videos you want at a time) and then you put a "list" together of what videos you want. They send you the top ones on your list, when you send it back, they send you another one. I have gone through a BUNCH of videos - I get big horse training videos too, and scan them for helpful things - for instance, I've found some wonderful hunter / jumper exercises on some of the big horse hunt / jump videos. It's really a great way to get videos, and much cheaper!

Wow, quick shipping! I just got my copy of Joanne Ross's video (it wasn't on giddyupflix). I will let you know how it is once I get a chance to watch it!

I have two minis I am starting to train for halter obsticle. They are doing well with going over the bridge and the posts I have set up, nothing phases them. They are also doing well in backing up. They are still weanings, one is an April born AMHR(over) filly and the other a May born ASPC(under) filly. I am hoping to show the April born filly in a show in April. Her exact birth date is April 17th and the show day is April 20th. May be cutting it too close, someone said the ealiest age for the AMHR overs is 1 yr. It will only be for practice.

Anyways I want to buy a training video to help me with side passing and pivoting. I want to make sure I do it the right way.

Thanks!
I have a mini I want to show! The is my profile picture! She was also born on April 17 but she was born 2012! I want to eventually show her in halter and obstacle! We just started having minis in 2010, but we only had one for about 6 months. We got back into it and bought a mini in-foal in November 2011! I am going to show the mom, but I want to show my foal too!! Any advise on what I should do? I have never shown a mini before!

There's lots of great help on this forum if you want to start showing - the folks on here have been incredibly helpful for me in the last 2 years!!

As a side note, the Joanne Ross video is excellent. . . I highly recommend it if you are training for halter obstacle.

Yeah! I hope this can get me started off on the right foot. The of problem with the video is I'm 14 and I don't have the money to buy a DVD because if I do have money I have to pay for shots and show accessories

Yeah! I hope this can get me started off on the right foot. The of problem with the video is I'm 14 and I don't have the money to buy a DVD because if I do have money I have to pay for shots and show accessories

Back