Had a colt born on Sunday....Color has us stumped this time!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueStar

Reaction score
OK-So we had our last foal for 2009 on Sunday. It is a colt. Very nice, leggy, pretty head, but color???? Couldn't tell ya! LOL

Dam is a red/white pinto with a lot of sabino roaning. Her parents are black and a red/white pinto

Sire is a silver grullo that has greyed out

Foal is a palomino/dun color pinto, mane and tail are the same color as his body. So of course we think he's a dun....but, no dun characteristics, not even a dorsal stripe? Skin is pinkish like that of a newborn red foal and I assume they will darken up but who knows.

So here are a few pics. not quite dry yet but he is even lighter now and kind of an buff apricot color.

IMGP6469.jpg

IMGP6468.jpg

IMGP6470.jpg

IMGP6472.jpg

He looks beautiful!!!
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

Is there any chance the sire is a greyed out SMOKEY silver grullo? because that guy looks palomino to me, too
default_yes.gif
:yes
default_yes.gif

default_wub.png
default_wub.png
Congrat's
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
He's beautiful. He looks palomino to me too, what ever he is sure is pretty!!!!!! TJ

Jill~Thanks for the reply. Our second guess was palomino..never tested the sire, but I guess it is possible. Only thing is, that the mane and tail are not white or flaxen...they are the same color as his body????

Whatever the color, he is a nice colt, but it is such a bizarre color from those two parents!!
default_wacko.png

My palomino filly had a mane and tail the same color as her body until she was older. She looked chestnut as did her mane and tail, but her dam was a cremello so I knew she had to be palomino.

This is a picture of one of my palominos as a foal -- he got much lighter but his mane / tail were not light at birth:

baby%20picture%20Derby_1.jpg

This is a picture of one of my palominos as a foal -- he got much lighter but his mane / tail were not light at birth:
baby%20picture%20Derby_1.jpg
WOW!! Thanks for the pic Jill. that gives some insight!! Very strange...a buckskin filly and a palomino colt for 2009....the odds are crazy!! But we'll take it!!
default_wub.png
LOL The sire to both foals is a full brother to the sire of Nootkas gelding Mouse so I suspect since he threw a Smokey something in Mouse, that maybe our boy does have a creme gene in there as well!!
default_wacko.png
:wacko

He looks Palomino to me too ! He is very nice whatever colour he is
default_wub.png

I agree with the palomino! My first palomino born I was disappointed because I thought it was a pale little sorrel and I had been hoping for palomino
default_biggrin.png
or a nice bright sorrel at worst! She shed out to palomino, when she lost her foal fuzz her mane and tail lightened too!!!

I agree with the palomino! My first palomino born I was disappointed because I thought it was a pale little sorrel and I had been hoping for palomino
default_biggrin.png
or a nice bright sorrel at worst! She shed out to palomino, when she lost her foal fuzz her mane and tail lightened too!!!
Any chance you have pics showing before and after? I would love to see more examples of this color change....LOL

I thought palamino also. But I really thought.....color him awesome!!
default_wub.png
Congratulations!!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back