Your opinion on colt's color

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Performancemini

Reaction score
Sorry-I am dumb about getting pictures up; but maybe you can give me some opinions from discription. I have a pinto colt who looks brown (like chocolate), his tail does have black in the center and end. Don't see any in the mane or knees and hocks. Knees and hocks appear slightly darker "chocolate" than body. There is a darker dorsal stripe from tail to hip and again at withers when not body clipped or winter hair. His sire is black. His dam is registered as sorrel and white pinto though she looks a bit like red dun (mane and tail a bit darker and shows the same darker dorsal stripe when in regular coat). Her dam is a grulla and her sire is a buckskin. The photos sent to the registry were 4 weeks past a body clip. They sent back he was black and white pinto. Any opinions as far as you can tell from this? Just curious what some numbers would say.
default_rolleyes.gif

Very hard to tell without pictures (you are more than welcome to email them to me if you can and I will post for you). Sounds black based with dun, but without pictures that's all i've got. If you do send pictures I would love to see some of his sire and dam as well if you have any.

I think my email is in my signature but just in case it's [email protected]

With the possibility of his dam's eel stripe (and her parents colouring, if correct) it does sound as though he has some dun colouring, not that I'm anywhere near an expert colouring wise!

Would love to see some pics!
default_yes.gif

Anna

There is a darker dorsal stripe from tail to hip and again at withers when not body clipped or winter hair.
If it disappears when you clip; then its probably countershading and not a true dorsal stripe.

Black especially if they are out in the sun can be hard to tell that they are black.

That's what the registry said-about the black being hard to tell.
default_smile.png
I only wondered about that because we brought him home in November and when we body clipped in May he was "brown" and grew in "chocolate".
default_wacko.png
Not a lot of strong sun at that point. If he's going to be ca.lled black, fine-he just doesn't look at all black (eye sight wise) to me.
default_laugh.png

Sometimes blacks take a couple of clips for their black color to come in.

OK-we'll wait and see I guess. I have seen a summer photo of his sire where he had bleached out some and I see some of the coloring in his coat and mane and tail that this colt shows now. So-maybe he'll get darker and/or blacker! Either way-he's a neat little fellow so far and that is what counts!
default_wub.png

Back