Guess the breed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4) Morgan (but not a good one)
Well, at least his head looked Morgan enough that you could pick him out as such.
default_biggrin.png

Unless you read the web address & recognized his name...
default_unsure.png
Lets just have this be fun, I guessed (not enough of them to want to guess on all) that that one was a Morgan too, but not todays winning type.
default_wink.png

1-Arabian

2- Miniature

3- Canadian

4- mustang

5- morgan

6-shetland

7-welsh

8-modern shetland

9-standardbred

10-Quarter Horse

11-Saddlebred

12-connemara

13-Friesian

I know this was meant as a fun thread but really quite rude to be discussing the quality of someone elses horse and it is not even a mini to boot. I am sure those tearing down the other breed would not be pleased if someone posted a picture of their horse and everyone decided it was poor quality.

On a side note if quality morgans are to be discussed perhaps you can show us some of your National champion morgans to compare to others you owned that were not champions - I do love learning and discussing other breeds but not when the horse being discussed does not even have a owner on this board
default_wacko.png
there is a big difference between a fun game of guess the breed then commenting on what one considers good quality over poor quality from a head shot

Last edited by a moderator:
Lets just have this be fun,
My point exactly--what is fun about someone making side comments on quality of a horse, based on one head photo??
Thank you Lisa, that's the exact thing I was trying to say in a much shorter version!
default_biggrin.png

I know this was meant as a fun thread but really quite rude to be discussing the quality of someone elses horse and it is not even a mini to boot. I am sure those tearing down the other breed would not be pleased if someone posted a picture of their horse and everyone decided it was poor quality.
On a side note if quality morgans are to be discussed perhaps you can show us some of your National champion morgans to compare to others you owned that were not champions - I do love learning and discussing other breeds but not when the horse being discussed does not even have a owner on this board
default_wacko.png
there is a big difference between a fun game of guess the breed then commenting on what one considers good quality over poor quality from a head shot

Well, at least his head looked Morgan enough that you could pick him out as such.
Unless you read the web address & recognized his name...
Since you two always seem to look for the worst in what someone is trying to say....

I made the comment because, though it looks somewhat like a Morgan, it also could be other breeds. If we are guessing the breeds based upon heads only, and people want to learn, the horses that we are looking at should be a good representation of the breed. I commented on the fact that he was not a good representation of the breed for people to learn. Not because I want to put the horse down. Plus, since the owner is not on the forum, I am not hurting anyones feelings, just hopefully educating others.

Since I have not bred the other breeds except for Minis, I can only say what the breed is, not their quality. This Morgan (if he is one) was bred for color and not for the true Morgan look. That does not make him a bad horse or even an ugly horse, just not a horse with a "traditional" Morgan head. The Arabian posted looks to be a good one, and there are many Arabians that do not look like Arabians, as there are many horses in all breeds that do not look like their "type". But, if we are going to all learn, then people need to know what is "traditional type" and what is not for that breed.

This thread was started (to my understanding) because several of us in another thread said we can tell many horses by their heads, so we are being tested. If I'm right on the breeds, who knows. But, if people are trying to learn, they can only learn by example. Not by others trying to look for every bad thing in every post.

I made the comment because, though it looks somewhat like a Morgan, it also could be other breeds. If we are guessing the breeds based upon heads only, and people want to learn, the horses that we are looking at should be a good representation of the breed. I commented on the fact that he was not a good representation of the breed for people to learn. Not because I want to put the horse down.

I do not look for everything bad someone has to say -you seem to be missing the point entirely
default_wacko.png
my point is on a FUN thread with random horses it is not up to anyone to decide what is or is not a good representation of any breed especially from a head shot.

I do like Morgans and do not know a lot of them. I would love to learn more about them and if you would like to put up pics of yours from National Champions to breeding stock I would honestly love to look and hear and see your critiques. I really do love to learn about other breeds and being a T/B warmblood girl previous to minis I do not have a lot of experience with Morgans. I just do not feel we should be "learning" from a random persons random head shot. When that person is not even a member of this forum

Yes Lisa, this was a fun thread till someone got on and sniped at someone else. Now this thread is taking the wrong turn. It was a light/ fun thread for a couple of days , even after I posted that if it is a Morgan head, it is not a good one.

I was not trying to be mean or nasty, just educatioal.

This is all I am going to say on this thread as I want it to go back to the light hearted thread it was intended to be.

Innocent question: What's a WELCH? Is that some kinda new breed?
default_biggrin.png

Milo,

Welches have been around for many many many years. They are (or where, since I am no longer in the hunter /jumper arena) a very popular breed for children competing in hunter shows. They are very pretty ponys with a lot of talent. I know years ago they were also a very expensive pony if they had the talent.

"if it is a Morgan head, it is not a good one."

Actually his head is of more Morgan type then most modern Morgans...He looks to be a Government or Lippitt bred Morgan. I worked at the UVM Morgan Horse Farm for a few years and they have one of the top breeding programs in the USA. Most of todays modern Morgans look like Saddlebreds in my opinion and if you follow the Morgan breed at all you'll know why..I won't say anymore just my opinion..The reason I got out of Morgans was because they are nothing like the Morgans of yester year....Take out one of the fancy show Morgans of today and see how long it lasts pulling logs or plowing.. Morgan breeders today with a few exceptions of some breeders who still breed "using Morgans" want nothing more then a pretty horse that can prance around and pick it's hooves up to it's ears when it trots....

"Welches have been around for many many many years."

Actually "Welches" is a brand of jam a "WELSH" is a pony

Lisa here are some links to pictures of Morgans from the AMHA website. The first link is to historical horses. The second is to some of todays Morgans. ...You can see how type varies between the using horses and the show ring horses...

http://www.morganhorse.com/about_the_morgan/photo_archive/

http://www.morganhorse.com/about_the_morga...ility_showcase/

Actually his head is of more Morgan type then most modern Morgans...He looks to be a Government or Lippit bred Morgan. I worked at the UVM Morgan Horse Farm for a few years and they have one of the top breeding programs in the USA. Most of todays modern Morgans look like Saddlebreds in my opinion and if you follow the morgan breed at all you'll know why..I won't say anymore just my opinion..The reason I got out of Morgans was because they are nothing like the Morgans of yester year....Take out one of the fancy show Morgans and see how long it lasts pulling logs or plowing...Todays morgans with a few exceptions of some breeders who still breed "using Morgans" want nothing more then a pretty horse that can prance around and pick it's hooves up to it's ears when it trots....
I have always loved the UVM horses, but they stopped showing quite a few years ago at the Worlds. I have been to the Vermont farms to see the horses, over 30 years ago and they were the horses that got me interested in the breed. Back then, they had classicaly beautiful heads.

I have not been in Morgans for over 5 years so I can not say what is going on with them now. I still love the heads of the Morgans back 30 years ago at the UVM.

"Welches have been around for many many many years."
Actually "Welches" is a brand of jam a "WELSH" is a pony
I stand corrected with my missspelling.

Riverdance...I want to apologize. Reading my own post over the tone was wrong. I'm just very passionate about the Morgan breed and what it's becoming. Todays working Morgans are far more true to type I believe then any of the show ring horses of today..For a while even the UVM Farm was starting to breed the taller more Saddlebred type Morgans, not sure if they still are, and while the show Morgans are beautiful, they lack the versitality of the historical Morgans...I love the looks of the classic Morgans. My favorite horse on the farm while I was there was UVM Lash a son of UVM Flash. He was barely 14 hands on a good day.

Usually I read all the previous posts before I post, but here, I didn't want to be influenced by others' guesses, so here are mine:

1. Arabian

2. Miniature

3. Fox Trotter, or possibly, warmblood of some sort-could even be a Morgan?

4. Kiger mustang'

5. Haven't a clue, but could be a standardbred, or even a TB?

6. 'original' Island Shetland

7. Welsh

8. NSH? Not a good photo, IMO- look at the windpipe bulge

9. Tennessee Walker

10. QH

11. American Saddlebred

12. Welsh Cob?--or other Island pony breed

13. Fell; possibly Andalusian

I do hope you are going to let us know all the correct answers!
default_smile.png

Margo

Here's my guesses...Some of those are realy hard and others were easier. LOL..

Here goes nothing.. :D

1. Arabian

2. Miniature

3.Thoroughbred

4.Morgan

5.Standardbred

6.Fell Pony

7.Welsh Pony

8.American Shetland

9.Tennessee Walking Horse

10. Quarter Horse

11. American Saddlebred

12. Connemara

13.Fresian

Riverdance...I want to apologize. Reading my own post over the tone was wrong. I'm just very passionate about the Morgan breed and what it's becoming. Todays working Morgans are far more true to type I believe then any of the show ring horses of today..For a while even the UVM Farm was starting to breed the taller more Saddlebred type Morgans, not sure if they still are, and while the show Morgans are beautiful, they lack the versitality of the historical Morgans...I love the looks of the classic Morgans. My favorite horse on the farm while I was there was UVM Lash a son of UVM Flash. He was barely 14 hands on a good day.

Jess,

I agree with you whole hardedly. The UVM used to have a classical beautiful Morgan and their horses are what got me into the breed. Beautiful bodies, beautiful heads. As I said before, Noble Flair did a major disservice to the Morgan breed.. Though I had a couple of horses with Noble Flair blood, it was thined out enough to have the beautiful heads and not the nasty temperment that came with those horses. I had to breed for beauty before I bred for motion. Drove my trainer nuts!!

I had a Futurity French Command (Charlestown Commanda)daughter who was a Reserve World Champion in Halter and in Driving. She was just gorgeous!! I also had an old style mare (not Lippet as I was not crazy about the Lippet lines, she was the other line, starts with a B (I want to say Bunk or what ever) and with my old mind, I just can not remember the line. Loved her!!! She was bred to a UVM horse when my daughter borrowed her for breeding and that mare gave her an outstanding (and I do mean outstanding ) colt. Unfortunatly he was killed as a weanling in a freak accident. But that boy had the old UVM Morgan stamped all over him.

I have not followed the Morgan breed for over 5 years now, do not know where it is going, but when I left, there where still some beautiful horses and many not so pretty!! I did like the carraige style Morgan better than the cavalry style though.

1. Arabian

2. American Miniature Horse

3. Morgan

4. Kiger Mustang

5. Standardbred

6. Fell Pony

7. Welsh Pony

8. American Shetland Pony

9. Tennessee Walking Horse

10. American Quarter Horse

11. American Saddle Horse (Saddlebred)

12. ? Connemara Pony maybe?

13. Andalusian

My Guesses: took me awhile to figure these out.... not easy

1. Arab

2. Miniature

3. Thoroughbred

4. Quarter Horse

5. Standardbred

6. Pony

7. Pony

8. Shetland

9. Walker

10. Morgan

11. Saddlebred

12. Pony

13. Friesan

Can't guess on hardly any except...after owning 7 ( or 8 ) Kiger mustangs...#4 isn't a Kiger ! The last one is an Andy.

Alright, I think there was one person that got them all right if you count the one where they did an or answer.
default_smile.png
Most of you did get the majority of them right though. Here are the answers:

#1 Arabian

#2 AMHA/AMHR miniature horse

#3 Thoroughbred

#4 Morgan

#5 Standardbred

#6 UK Shetland

#7 Welsh (section B)

#8 ASPC Shetland (I do believe it is a modern too for those of you that put that as part of your answer)

#9 Tennessee Walker

#10 Quarter Horse

#11 Saddlebred

#12 Connemara (was actually a bit surprised how many of you got this one)

#13 Andalusian

Wow, I did really badly lol. less than 50% correct. My excuse is heads are only PART of the story, if I had seenfull body shots I would have done better (LOL, well I MIGHT have done better, not quite as confidant now ;) )

Back