Grrrrrrrrr

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep. He complains about how much money goes to the horses and if we didn't have to buy a house with land (for the horses), think of the house we could've had!
default_wacko.png
Its okay, he knows I love my hobby. But I give him as much grief about his stupid lab (duck dog). That dog has cost us more than some of my horses due to his adventures!

Gotta complain about something. Makes the relationship healthy and lively!!!
default_biggrin.png

I feel your pain, Matt. If I had my way we'd have even more critters than we do, if hubby had his way we might have 1 or 2 critters. But like you we make it work.

You know what? I'm a lucky guy! I was raised and worked hard and lived in downtown T.O. for 30 years. I met the greatest guy, moved 2 1/2 hours southwest to farm country. I take care of the man, the animals, and help with the farm. I LOVE BOTH city and country and appreciate that there are plusses and minusses to both. But most of all...I'm lucky to have Kev. And, yeah, at 34, I have finally learned...that it's ALL about compromise, compassion, and...massages
default_wink.png

You know what? I'm a lucky guy! I was raised and worked hard and lived in downtown T.O. for 30 years. I met the greatest guy, moved 2 1/2 hours southwest to farm country. I take care of the man, the animals, and help with the farm. I LOVE BOTH city and country and appreciate that there are plusses and minusses to both. But most of all...I'm lucky to have Kev. And, yeah, at 34, I have finally learned...that it's ALL about compromise, compassion, and...massages
default_wink.png

Glad to see your priorities are set Hun
default_wink.png
....having a partner to love and to bicker with, is priceless.
default_wub.png

My husband Art is just as much an "animal" lover as I am. He has cried right along side me when we have lost any animal...That being said.....He does think that at times I am "Too hoovering" and that I think toooooo far ahead of the what if's......If I am cold they are cold we need to blanket them and close the barns up, If I am hot they are hot, get the fans running...I don't like to get wet when it rains, so neither do they! We agree 99.9% of the time. He has just come to accept that I worry tooo much. If YOU feel the way you care for your horses is what needs to be done..Then do it! I am sure he means no harm, he just thinks you are to fussy....Sometimes a kiss on the check and the batting of the eyes, and he forgets what we were even talking about! Here is to US, the fussy ones!

Last edited by a moderator:
My husband is golden.
default_wub.png
He once said "You're not going to sell any of the ones you have, are you?" I asked him why he was asking. His reply "Because I like them all."
default_wub.png
When he witnessed Rosie and I doing our "dance" routine he said "You can never sell her." meaning the bond must never be broken. He's not a horse kind of guy--he has no horse sense...but if I need a new run-on, fence post, extended or new stall, feede, treats, hay or straw Mark is there for me right away. He loves being a big part of that side of it. He also trims hooves! He leaves all the rest to me, well, except for emptying wheelbarrows.
default_wink.png
He jumps the fence by his garden in the summer to give them scratches. We're at 24 years in a few months, and it's never, never been better.
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

I think for the most part, that just goes along with having a horse addiction.....er, hobby.
default_rolleyes.gif
I probably do spend too much time and money on my horses, vacation away from it all even sounds good to ME sometimes. But horses are part of the package here, and we get through it somehow. Have to say though he is great about keeping things like fences, barns, etc maintained. Just have to hope for the best though when I leave him here to feed. They definitely get fed but not like mama does it LOL.

Jan

IThey definitely get fed but not like mama does it LOL.
This seems to be a theme
default_biggrin.png
. Hubby and I work opposite shifts, so my horses are blessed to be fed 3 times a day in the winter, with the mid-day feeding just being a "snack". All winter, I kept saying ARE YOU SURE you are JUST feeding one flake divided by three at the noon time feeding? Just ONE flake total? (See the horses were getting tubby, my gelding looked as pregnant as my bred mare, and the hay was dwindling fast). He assured me - SEVERAL times - that was the case. And then one day I counted the flakes in a bale and confronted him - there was NO WAY he was only feeding one flake at noon. OH "only one flake total you say?"
default_rolleyes.gif
. Sometimes the listening skills are a little lacking.

Then again he hasn't quite caught on that he can talk about football for 15 minutes and I can throw in a comment here or there without actually listening to a thing he's said.

My husband kept telling me that when we retired perhaps I can have a horse. But, he did not like horse people and did not want to associate with them.
default_new_shocked.gif
I was a horse person. I had owned horses before I met him, I just had to sell them, also before I met him. Being a single mom, I could not afford to care for them and the kids. So, horses had to go.

Well, after listening to that for a several years I went shopping. Came home one day and told him I found a really nice hobby farm, and oh by the way, I was leaving.
default_aktion033.gif

I have been on my own for 11 years now, and it is oh so nice!!! If I want to buy a horse, I can. No one to question me. No one to criticize me. No one to tell me no.
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png

Not to say I would not like a man around the house. One I can take out of the closet when I need something done, then put back in when I am finished with him.
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif

Well, my hubby is an interesting case. He was adamant that he did not want me getting a mini, no way no how. I weedled my way to getting him to look at a couple. The whole time he was driving me to see him it was "I am crazy" "Can't believe we are doing this" "I must have rocks in my head"

The same day we stopped in at Lori's (MiloMinis) and she mentioned that adults could drive them and that there is even miniature horse racing, NOW, all of a sudden he made it known which horse he wanted, takes the pics to work to show his colleagues. After his first lesson (which I pay for, although he does drive me 1 1/2 hours to Lori's for our lesson every week with no complaint) he was "I can't wait for next week" "I can't believe how much fun that was" "I could do that again right now"

And now we are arguing(in fun, sort of
default_rolleyes.gif
) about who gets to show him next year. That's when I sprung we need a 2nd one, we could compete against each other TEE HEE... I'll post when we choose mini number 2...far cry from not even having one..LOL

My husband is definitely not horsey. He tolerates the horses-we've had them over a year now-with fairly good humor. I sometimes offer the price of something-especially if I got a great deal and can say, "it was worth $$$ but I got it for $" but otherwise he does not ask. Bless him for that.

He sometimes comes out to the barn. He often has suggestions which I listen to with equal attention, whether I think they are ideas with merit or just silly.

He sometimes helps out. I never ask him to, but he usually finds little projects. Weed whacks the fenceline. He spent the summer with a crowbar digging all the rocks out of my dry lots. He says the horses like him best because he is the only one who does not ride them. (Big horses, obviously!)

And when I bought the cart for the mini (thanks, Geri), I pointed out to him that I earned the money extra, outside of usual household income. He also never asked how much it was. Thank God.

-Mayville (Amy)

I think you have got it pretty well figured out, Matt
love0034.gif

Plus, you might be surprised at how Kev talks about the horses when you're not arround...
love0075.gif

I've overheard H before when he didn't know I was listening. Most recently after our foals were born and he was with an electrician up in the barn. Our cameras were on so you know I listened to what they said and H was telling the guy all about Ducky and Passion (Cover Girl wasn't home yet), their dams and DunIT AND he got it all right, too
default_cheekkiss.gif

He's proud of them, just like I am
default_yes.gif

PS not to mention, H's is a really good barn builder
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
My husband was also a horseman -- that takes care of just about all issues
default_laugh.png

He NEVER complained about cost, needs, numbers. Plus we loved and enjoyed one another beyond all words I could ever express.

No doubt in my mind he will be there with our herd that has crossed when my time comes to join them. I have had a blessed life in so many ways....and I thank God every day. Trying to share some of my good fortune when I can.

[SIZE=12pt]My husband bites his tongue when it comes to my new love of horses...as he spends a small fortune on his motorcycle which he races.[/SIZE]

What I spend on the horses, dogs and cats is nothing compared to what he is spending on his bike. So, I feel no guilt at all!

We have only been married for 2.5 years and he is still getting used to having indoor dogs and cats. (thats what he gets for marrying a vet tech!)

We need to support each other in our passions!

My hubby is always saying "they aren't my darned horses" until I start making a sale list. Then it is a whole different story. We have been married for over 34 years now and the only way we get along is by telling the other person "I can either do it my way or you can do it your way." I do bite my tongue a lot, but then so does he. If either of us wants something done and the other complains, the basic response is: "I said I was going to do it--I didn't ask you to do it, so just shut up" Of course that does sometimes start the main event.
default_rolleyes.gif
But I won't go there.
default_biggrin.png

. Sometimes the listening skills are a little lacking.
It's called selective listening LOL.......an acquired skill practiced by most spouses!

Jan

Sometimes my hubby will feed the horses for me, and he'll give them less than I've instructed to give.
Not funny really, I know, but I laughed out loud when I read that. That's calculated intelligence!

He's not a horse kind of guy--he has no horse sense...but if I need a new run-on, fence post, extended or new stall, feede, treats, hay or straw Mark is there for me right away. He loves being a big part of that side of it.
This sounds a lot like my husband. He doesn't know anything about horses, but he adores them and has a fit if I sell one or "threaten" to sell one and will, without being asked, help me around the farm/barn no matter what I need done. However, I never ask him to help me clean stalls! We just finished building a 10' x 20' metal pole barn run-in shed. It turned out to be a HUGE project and we had never worked with metal before and it was a total pain in the rear
default_thumbdown.gif
, but we did it together and we finished it a couple of weeks ago and it looks fantastic
default_thumbup.gif
, if I do say so myself!
default_biggrin.png

I am lucky and I know it.

I would not stay married to someone that punished me over my passion. Screw that! I am free, I do what I want to do. My husband never, ever questions me about the horses, ever. Of course, I never, ever indicated that I would ever be any different, he knew what he was getting himself into when he began dating me.

Latest posts

Back