Greiving

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey

Reaction score
First, I have been wanting miniature horses since I was a teenager. There is not an animal as sweet as them. I fianally bought a colt and a bred mare. The only downside was the mare was kicking and bighting at me after one week of her being here.

The foal (Little Lynn) was born Monday morning at 8am. Her and my mare did not bond until the next day. The mare would not let her feed off her because she was tender.

This was my first foal and from reading websites was under the impression that she could wait for 12 hours to take the colostrum. The next day I went out and she was still alert and healthy. I thought great, she is nursing, everything is good. As I watched for an hour to see if she would nurse , I didn't see it. I kept putting her on her mom but she would not nurse. I called the vet immeditaley but it was too late. The vet took her blood and gave me the milk supplement, gave her an enema and left. By the time I made the milk and went back to get her she was weak and was not walking good. I had to force feed her (which was awful) and she got more weak by the minute. I tried to call the vet again, but only got the voice mail. The temperature had dropped down to 45 degrees, so I brought her in my house. The vet called back around 8pm and said that her blood test showed that she had no colostrum. He advised me that she only had a 10% chance of living.

I held her and fed her on the hour, every hour, but she took a turn for the worse and died in my arms at midnight. I have cried and cried all day long today. To think that she was so healthy and because I thought she might of got the milk in the evening, that I lost a perfectly good foal.

I have now read forums and now learn that I could of bought a breast pump and got the mare's first milk and bottle fed the baby. I should of took her and done this in the first 6 hours of her life.

I wanted to share my story so that if your foal is born and not nursing to call the vet asap.

This is a terrible experience and I feel I will feel guilty about this for the rest of my life.

Joey

I'm so sorry you lost your foal, I know it was very hard to post this, but I appreciate you posting it, it's always great to learn from others experiences. Again, sorry for the loss of you foal.
default_sad.png

Sorry For Your Loss :no: Everyone makes mistakes and some are harder than other but oyu always learn.
default_wub.png
:

I'm so sorry it had to end this way for you and your sweet little foal.

I know it's little consolation, but there are experienced breeders who have totally missed the fact that the foal wasn't nursing or the mare had no milk.

I'm so sorry you went through this.

You didn't know......you just didn't know somethings but your vet should have been much more helpful to you when he arrived when he did.

You can be a breeder for many years and things are going to happen and do happen to the most experienced people so please try not to be so hard on yourself.

I"m glad now that you have found this forum. The people here have been a wealth of great information for me and many others that have helped get eachother through and over these humps. Maybe through the forum you will find someone close by to get together with too. If not, you're here anyway so that's a good thing.

How's your mare doing?

Welcome.

I am so sorry for your loss. Sharing it here is a start towards healing. Things happen to these little ones even if we watch 24 hours a day. We feel as close to them as our own children. Don't beat yourself up and hopefully you can turn Mom into a loving mare.

She is probably grieving too and can use the attention.

I lost one a year ago at two months. I was halter training and she went up flipped and came down and broke her neck in just the space of a few seconds. It isn't something you get over quickly. I will never forget her. I had named her Angel so maybe God wanted her back sooner. I still panic every time I put halters on the little ones now.

default_crybaby.gif
: Greiving with you. I'm so sorry you lost your little one. You did the best you could.
default_pray.gif
: Your in my prayers.

Blessings and Hugs to you, Joey, in your loss.

Thank you for posting about the horrific lesson that you learned about your first mini foal. "Little Lynn" did not die in vain. Someone here on this forum will read your post and learn something from it.....another little life will be saved because of you, so your baby's spirit will live on both from that and your special memories.

Sadly, your vet also did you a disservice in not checking your foal's IGG (antibodies) early on, but that's yet another lesson learned....... This has been an awful experience for you, I know, I've been there more than once.....POUR your love on your colt and your grieving momma mare.......it does help in time......

MA

I am so sorry on the loss you loss of your foal. (((Hugs))) to you. You did the best you could of in the end, and in the beginning you just didnt know. It was no ones fault. You will learn so much from this forum, that I am sure in 1 yr from now, if you have another foal due, you will be well prepared and will have learned so much more. WELCOME to this forum. Corinne

Oh Dear im so very sorry for your Loss of Little Lynn, Please dont feel guilty, your mare needs you. (((((Hugs)))))) To you, and to your poor little mare.

Helen

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much for your support. A friend of mine recommended this forum to me to help with the grieving. As for my mare, she is actually doing fine. She was restless last night and whiney when I checked on her. This morning I let her out of the stable to be with the others. She looked and looked for her baby for about an hour. After about an hour she started eating on went on as normal. I gave her some sweet feed also. I wondered about taking the foal out there for her to see, so she could accept the lose, but now know that it is better that I did not take it back because she still would be loving on it.

I do want to breed her again to help her and I forget about what happened last night.

I am glad that I joined this forum. You all have some BEAUTIFUL Minis!! It is nice to see all the different ones.

Sorry about the spelling on the post. I was typing to fast and did not spell check.

Joey

[SIZE=14pt]So sorry about your filly, It is really hard to learn the things we need to do and watch for after the fact. Glad you are reading the forum now and maybe the next time you will get a quicker start.[/SIZE]

Lyn

So very sorry for your loss we lost our first foal ever as well WE got a bad diagnosis from a vet who knew nothing about minis an lost her at 40 days. Dont beat yourself up over this it is a lesson you wont forget and time will heal. ((((HUGS)))

I am so terribly sorry you lost your little foal. (((((HUGS))))) Now keep a good eye on your mare because her system may be stressed though she might not show it now.

Wishing I could help ease your burden,

I am so sorry you lost your beloved foal. It can happen to the best of us. Now, you will know what to look for. I had one born last night at 8pm. It was the easist birth so far. Foal just slid right out, was up in no time and mom had plenty of milk. I thought great, I relax on this one.(not like the last 3 all Maidens) went in the house and watched them on the monitor and the other mares getting ready. Noticed the little guy was walking all over the place but not going under mom. Well, Izzy and I went out and he had no idea of what to do. (dummy foal) Took us 6 hours of milking, syringing, bottle feeding and I had the tube ready to place into his stomach. I think it was the threat of the tube that finally made him nurse. So I thought too that evrything was great and was lucky that she was still under camera.

Ginny StP

Latest posts

Back