Gracie's Mini Mommas' To Be Page- All done foaling! Five Healthy Foals!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gracie just went out and checked on Superman and he is nursing well. The thing is, we brought the mini's in to our back yard where the dogs are to the stall fronts. We usually being them in through the back. The horses and dogs have always gotten along just fine, but the dogs have never had access to the arena, pasture areas or paddocks. This has definitely been an eye opener for us. We will consider our options and maybe consult a dog trainer as well. This dog is a show champion and now Gracie's agility dog. He is such a great boy in every other way. He is phenomenal with other male dogs and the tiniest of puppies and does ok with our full sized house cats. So this is a big shocker. We love this dog and we do have kennels and crates. So for now we will make sure he is always confined when we have the minis out.

I pray the filly fairy comes to Northern California when the next three foal! The nail test was right on with my QH mare and the first two minis, and says the next three will be fillies.

Oh no, on the dog! I have found that dogs and miniature horses do not mix. No matter the size of the dog. JR's are really aggressive little dogs. I call them miniature pit bulls. I had mine put down. She was too aggressive. I have two dachshunds now and they are not allowed to be where the horses are. I have to watch them closely if I bring horses through my yard. I don't trust them.

Hope Superman heals quickly and gets back to his friendly self.

Oh, I am so sorry you had to go through that. That exact thing happened to me with a large foal and a pit bull cross dog I had. I was walking the mother and 3 day old foal out and the foal decided to romp around and run. My dog played with him, but then the foal started running for real away from the dog because he was scared. Well, my dog changed his attitude and went into catch and attack mode. It was a nightmare. The dog actually got the foal down and then the foal got up and ran again and far this time. My poor mare was in hysterics. We finally caught the foal in a large pasture and instead of moving him, brought the mom to him and let them be. we had a puncture wound in the neck by the mane. We put the foal on antibiotics and let them be for a few days (other than cleaning the wound). Happy to tell you that the foal ended up being one of the most friendly foals we had and he had absolutely no issues with dogs whatsoever. I think Superman will be fine and will trust you again soon if not already. He was probably in shock, poor thing. I have a JR/Chihuahua mix and she loves to follow the foals, but as soon as the foal starts to run, I am on that dog and she comes back to me. I know from my first experience, that I have to keep complete control on her and not let her get it in her head that she can run and play with these little foals. It's definately always going to be an issue because the dog loves to run and chase the larger minis, but they just ignore her so nothing ever comes of it. So scary, I am so sorry you had to go through that
default_sad.png

Oh, the other lesson I learned from my dog chasing the foal is to never lead the foal and the mama out without leads on both of them. The little guys learn very fast how to walk on a lead, and all issues are then avoided with them running off and the dogs chasing. Sometimes the biggest problem I have is finding a halter to fit, but llama/sheep halters work pretty well. I have leads on my foals 90% of the time from the first day they go out, but if I can't I either carry them or put the dog away. Maybe you could try that??

Hoping for another foaling for you tonight, you seem so close!

Wow Jasamine looks so ready!oh poor Superman, and Gracie, and you! So sorry to hear that, some dogs instinct to hunt is so strong. Praying for a speedy recovery.

Thanks everyone! Superman is doing well this morning and seems to be back to trusting us at least for the most part. His face is a little swollen and I chatted with our vet this morning again just to go over things one more time. He is nursing well and by now the Banamine is out of his system. We just turned them out for the day after doctoring him and we did carry him out to the pasture this time as he was very reluctant to follow mom and kept running back to me and sticking by my legs and not moving. He loved being out and started running and playing while Rocky ran laps around the whole field.

Yes, part of the attack problem yesterday was because Superman darted off and Gracie ran after him chasing him because the dog was chasing after him a little aggressively and she panicked. I think her panic made things worse. All the other dogs listened and stayed away and off except him so that is what bothered me the most. We have done a lot of dog rescue and rehab in the past and our JRT's have always been great with other dogs as I am very strict with all our dogs. And yes, I have seen many JRT's that are aggressive, they are terriers or "terrorists" as we like to call them. I am hoping my son will soon get his own place that will allow dogs and that he will take this boy for us. Since he is a former show dog and now a stud dog, he is very valuable. The good news is we have lived in our home for 11 years now and we have never had a dog get in to the horse area, as our fence is very secure and we have free ranging chickens that roam the horse area as well and if the dogs were to get loose there, they would be have lots of chicken dinners, so we are and have always been strict on gates. Now I will be more so!!

No changes to Jasmine. She still looks the same. I just ordered the Foal Time Test Strips to try out when my Predict A Foal tests runs out. I think I have about 6 more tests left of that. I am anxious to try out the one drop deal.

Thanks everyone! Superman is doing well this morning and seems to be back to trusting us at least for the most part. His face is a little swollen and I chatted with our vet this morning again just to go over things one more time. He is nursing well and by now the Banamine is out of his system. We just turned them out for the day after doctoring him and we did carry him out to the pasture this time as he was very reluctant to follow mom and kept running back to me and sticking by my legs and not moving. He loved being out and started running and playing while Rocky ran laps around the whole field.

Yes, part of the attack problem yesterday was because Superman darted off and Gracie ran after him chasing him because the dog was chasing after him a little aggressively and she panicked. I think her panic made things worse. All the other dogs listened and stayed away and off except him so that is what bothered me the most. We have done a lot of dog rescue and rehab in the past and our JRT's have always been great with other dogs as I am very strict with all our dogs. And yes, I have seen many JRT's that are aggressive, they are terriers or "terrorists" as we like to call them. I am hoping my son will soon get his own place that will allow dogs and that he will take this boy for us. Since he is a former show dog and now a stud dog, he is very valuable. The good news is we have lived in our home for 11 years now and we have never had a dog get in to the horse area, as our fence is very secure and we have free ranging chickens that roam the horse area as well and if the dogs were to get loose there, they would be have lots of chicken dinners, so we are and have always been strict on gates. Now I will be more so!!

No changes to Jasmine. She still looks the same. I just ordered the Foal Time Test Strips to try out when my Predict A Foal tests runs out. I think I have about 6 more tests left of that. I am anxious to try out the one drop deal.
oh Sandy I am so sorry to hear that Superman had a rough time with Gracie's dog
default_sad.png
how upsetting for you all...
default_sad.png
I am sure you will come up with the best arrangement for them
default_smile.png
I have two dogs an older golden retreiver who loves my horses and plays with them all day ( my 7 month old foal goes up to him and plays with him
default_smile.png
) but my little cavalier isn't allowed in with the horses and he is a different nature to my retriever and I don't think they would get along to well. I think dogs and horses get along ok depending on both dog and horse and how they have been brought up.

I know you will make the right decision and I hope Gracie and Superman are doing alot better now
default_smile.png

wow Jasmine looks ready to burst! I'm so excited your getting the foal time test strips I used them when my mare was in foal and they were brilliant! so easy to use, only thing is that u have to check them as soon as you have tested the milk, as they do darken after a while.
default_smile.png
good luck and I hope you have a new little FILLY!! very soon
default_smile.png

SURPRISE!!!!!! Angel (yes Angel, the black mare) foaled tonight at 6:25pm while we were out riding. She was 326 days today. I checked her udder late this morning before we turned her out and I could one get a couple drops out and it was a light yellow color. I did notice tonight, right before we brought her in, that she was walking at a good clip across the field, but did not think much of it. We brought the three expectant girls in to the barn before we rode. We had a couple other of Gracie's friends here riding and I was watching them. I had noticed at one point she came out in to the paddock and had obviously rolled in the shavings. At this point Angel and Jasmine were together in the one stall and paddock. A few minutes later as Gracie rode by, she made a comment that "boy Angel sure had a good roll" and when I looked I saw that she was covered head to toe in shavings. I was just going to go check her when Gracie screamed "mom! she is foaling!" Sure enough, the amnion was sticking out along with a hoof and a bit of a nose. I was the first one to her since I was not mounted. I immediately felt relief when I saw that there was another leg. Angel did some serious rolling to make adjustments. The first think I noticed was black legs with white and a back head
default_488.gif
and then the rest came out and it was a gorgeous black and white..... FILLY!!!!!
default_488.gif
default_new_multi.gif
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif

She measures a 7" cannon and approx 21" to 21.5" tall!! She Was up fast and looking for food. Angel was very painful afterwards and even with Banamine she is still down quite a bit but did eat her bran & grain mash and nibbled some wet alfalfa. This little girl was running and bucking within an hour. She is very strong and nursing well. Since I did not have a halter monitor on her or even have her under camera yet, I thank the good Lord that we were out there and she chose to have a daylight baby!!

Introducing Angel's filly "Oreo"

Image 9.jpg

Image 8.jpg

Image 7.jpg

Jasmine, who we thought was next in line to foal is looking about the same. Her milk tested about the same tonight as it has the last two nights. She still has pretty good tail function and her hooha is not very swollen or relaxed. So, we wait..... two more to go!

YAY for your gorgeous new little FILLY!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow congrats Sandy and Gracie, on your gorgeous new little Oreo! she is just stunning!! what perfect markings, and already so correct and that head!
default_thud.gif
default_firstprize.gif
a winner for sure!!

YAY you guys must be so thrilled! Tell Gracie she did a GREAT job looking out for her SO well!
default_yes.gif
default_worshippy.gif
well done Gracie, and well done to you to Sandy! another beautiful safe baby to add to your little boys!

Thank you filly fairy for the filly we ordered
default_worshippy.gif

I have even commited this post to pink, in celebration of your lovely new filly
default_drool5.gif
she is just so adorable I think I am in love!!
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

Congrats again!! come on Jasmine! we know the filly fairy is at your farm, so lets go again
default_smile.png
hehe Hi Baby!
default_517.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
lol I can just imagine Gracie leaping off and charging towards Angel leaving her poor horsey wondering what on earth happened
default_new_rofl.gif

Congratulations!

WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Congrats! Wow! She is beautiful!! And so amazing that she foaled like that and you just happened to be there!! How incredible
default_smile.png

Can't wait to see more pics of her! She really is a stunner!

Now come on Jasmine, let's see that baby! Then only one more left, right?

Thank you girls! Luckily Gracie's friend grabbed her horse's reins and Angel was so kind to foal out in the paddock so Gracie's friends could watch from atop their horses. Neither had even seen a foal be born before. They had front row seats!! LOL! The picture of Gracie in her helmet drying the foal is priceless really, huh?

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on another gorgeous foal! And a filly too!
default_yes.gif
Some miniature mares don't give a lot of warning and their changes are very subtle. Guess you just found that out!
default_smile.png

Congratulations! She is beautiful! Love her markings! So glad it all went smoothly this time and worked out. Now for Jasmine to get a move on it! Lol

Congratulations on your wonderful surprise FILLY!!! !!! And I LOVE the photo of Gracie with her helmet on. She needs to enter that in the Dressage Today helmet contest!!! See their website for details. She will win for sure.

Latest posts

Back