Gracie's Mini Mommas' To Be Page- All done foaling! Five Healthy Foals!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are some pictures that I took today of the two boys after we turned them out together for the second day in a row. Lexi and Fancy seems to be getting more comfortable being together today. The weather is supposed to be so gorgeous for the next week, I believe I will leave them turned out 24/7 now in the pasture.

We will start with the oldest. Here is Superman at 5 days old

IMG_2021.JPG

IMG_2024.jpg

naw!!! both are SOOO gorgeous!! no wonder you had to pick Superman up and snuggle him!!! my colt Finn used to do that too
default_smile.png
I might have encouraged it more then I should of LOL he lay down on the farrier the other day LOL so the farrier trimmed his feet while Finn was lying down
default_thud.gif
LOL he lay down on me to the other week and at 7 months old he is getting a little heavy LOL they grow out of it eventually LOL or so I am told hehe
default_whistling.gif

how is Jasmine looking? sounds like she is getting close as well
default_smile.png
such excitement!!

oh I am partial to the pallys as well especially those dark rich ones
default_thumbup.gif
your very lucky to be able to have such beautiful horses and now foals
default_smile.png
how is Gracie loving them?
default_smile.png

I am in love with that Superman of yours!! And that second picture of Rocky is perfect!! I love his little face
default_smile.png

I need to quit looking at your thread- it is making me so jealous!! Haha
default_smile.png
I just want Mary to do thi thing already!

I know I am creating a monster, but who can resist
default_giveup.gif
??? Superman kept trying to crawl in my lap late yesterday afternoon, so I picked him up and he cuddled and took a nap in my arms
default_wub.png
:wub
default_wub.png
I do believe I am a goner when it comes to Superman.
Oh my! That's a picture for the magazines!! Both boys are adorable!!

Thank you guys! The boys were so fun to watch today!

Oh my gosh... these days are just crazy anymore. Today was another super busy day! I had to get my 2 yr old QH colt ready (clipped and bathed) to meet the hauler tomorrow as he heads off for the trainers. The transporter called me and instead of a late morning pickup, he wants to meet at 6am and we are meeting an hour away. So I have a 4am wake up call and will be loading a colt that has never been in a trailer before in the dark. Plus with my hubby at a sales meeting, Gracie and I had to do all the ranch chores ourselves today and plus we have a county 4-H horse coordinators meeting. So we just got home, got horse trailer hooked up for the morning, fed dogs (we did not have time before meeting), fed kittens and are just now getting ready for bed, well at least Gracie is any way.

Jasmine's milk is turning a real yellow now. It tested 3 squares tonight. So she is adding a square every night so far. Her vulva still has some relaxing to do and it is not red inside. I do think we are getting close and will have a baby before the weekend. She is eating a lot slower too.

Oh so cute! I know the feeling of busy too! This time of year seems like you cant get it all done, and afraid to leave

Good morning friends! I am a bit loopy and feel myself headed for a crash in a bit since I only got 3.5 hours sleep last night, so I figured I would update now. The horse transport got me up even earlier and I had to meet at 5:30 am and hour away. The good news was this colt was an angel to load. Walked right in, off-loaded at the meeting spot and walked right in to the transport trailer too. I sure hope he keeps that up in training.

I checked Jasmine this morning and while her udder is not huge, it is acceptable and what is coming out now is yellow and very slippery/sticky and she had a tiny bit of wax as well. I will milk test her again this evening. She has also slowed way down on her eating. It is taking her almost all day to finish her hay. She is such a small little girl. I will try to get some pictures later today. She is such a pocket pony and such a love bug, but she is even more now.

Update on Da' Boys! Rocky is rockin' and rollin'. He is such a handsome and strong colt. I love his head and eye! He is going to make a lovely show horse I believe in both halter and driving. He has some nice movement. He is not as friendly and while he likes scratches he is not one to come up to you and once you catch him he does some leaping. Superman on the other hand is a pocket pal. He wants to be with you and be scratched all the time. He is stronger and full of himself. He is still suffering seizures but infrequently. It appears it is when he wakes up from a long nap and he is startled or you touch him too soon. After he has one, he is exhausted and out of it for an hour or so. My vet and I talked yesterday and she said unless we want to run a bunch of tests and such, that as long as they are not increasing in severity or frequency she feels we should just give him some time. We could try medicating him but the meds are hard to adjust on these little guys. Plus when the vet was here yesterday, she got to see him running and playing and acting completely normal as he does 95% on the time. So as long as he does not put himself in danger, I would rather take the conservative approach.

I totally agree that at this point it is better to just wait and let him grow out of it. I am sorry you didn't get much sleep but I am so glad your colt was such a good boy for you. Both your boys are gorgeous and I am sure they will do very well in the ring
default_yes.gif

Jasmine is a 30.5" 9 yr old AMHA mare sired by Celebrations Tennessee Legend out of a mare by Nestucca Sir Charles. She has had two previous foals with no complications- one bay and one buckskin. She is 331 days today and foaled previously right around 330 days. She is looking pretty darn close. Her milk test last night was still at 3 squares, but it is changing from slimy sticky yellow to slimy sticky yellow creme. Gracie is out giving her a spa treatment (she is going to be doing school until July I think at this rate) and I took some girlie part pics and will get body pics after she dries. Her udder appears pretty ready to me, but her hooha still needs to elongate however she is mushy in her hinny muscles. Oh and as you can see in the pictures, she does have a tiny amount of wax.

Image 3.jpg

Image 1.jpg

Image 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is Jasmine after her spa treatment. She is just way to cute and such a sweetheart!

Image 4.jpg

Image 6.jpg

default_risa8.gif
looks like she won't be long
default_risa8.gif
how are the boys doing?
The boys are starting to get a bit curious about each other but still have not played. Rocky is a spitfire who today decided to not follow mom to the pasture but rip around our 150 x 250 foot arena at top speed. We were cracking up but Fancy did not think it was too funny. Superman had another seizure this morning when we went to get him and Lexi to take out. We woke him up and thought he had time to wake up and when I touched him he seized. It breaks my heart. He recovered in about 2 minutes and we carried him out to the pasture. He is bad at following his mom and he is so curious about everything else.

I would say Jasmine is on go for a foal today/tonight.
default_smile.png

As to the seizures, I've seen them in miniature horses over the years. I'm betting your foals' was caused by the difficult delivery and while painful to watch now, he will outgrow them, Takes a little time, but I think he will be mostly normal in a few weeks. Both of your foals are just too cute!

I would say Jasmine is on go for a foal today/tonight.
default_smile.png

As to the seizures, I've seen them in miniature horses over the years. I'm betting your foals' was caused by the difficult delivery and while painful to watch now, he will outgrow them, Takes a little time, but I think he will be mostly normal in a few weeks. Both of your foals are just too cute!
Thank Becky! I sure hope in a few weeks Superman will outgrow it. I know the odds are on our side. He is healthy in every other way though and his mom is a regular milk cow. He nurses and she sprays milk as he drinks cause she has so much. He is peeing all the time, a lot, cause he gets so much and he is gaining weight every day. We notice he is getting heavier to carry.

I will milk test Jasmine tonight and see where she is at. I think we will for sure have a baby in the next day or two. She did sleep a lot last night, both sternal and flat. Maybe she was resting up?? LOL!

So close again, are you getting any sleep? Lol. Praying for safe foaling and hope to see an announcement in the morning.......
default_smile.png

Gracie and I are so upset! One of our Jack Russell's (our AKC Champion male) attacked Superman tonight when we were leading them to their stall. We normally carry Superman because he is not great at following mom but tonight he was a big boy and was following mom so good and as we went towards the barn the dogs were following like they always do and Superman took off running and the one dog jumped at him and got him on the face and Gracie started screaming and running after him and that made the Superman run farther away and the dogs began to chase him. It was pure chaos for a minute as the terrier bite at and latched on again. One f our other dogs almost joined in too but thank God listened and stopped. I had to pry the jaws apart on the terrier. Gracie was hysterical and picked him up while I beat me a dog. If I had a gun I would have shot him, I swear. I was so upset and should have known better. This dog has a string prey drive and he had not been out with any of the foals before. All the other dogs had and are fine. This dog is fine with the older minis and large horses but not small animals, but I would never have thought he would have gone after a mini foal. Poor Superman has several scrapes on the side of his cheek and some very minor puncture wounds on his nose and cheek, but under his jaw and chin he has two large puncture wounds. I clipped the wounds and flushed with Novalson and applied antibiotic ointment while waiting for a return call from my vet. She called me back and said that I did exactly what I should have and that gravity was on our side with the worse of the wounds since they were under the jaw and chin. To not suture them so that they would drain. To wash daily and apply the antibiotic ointment. We also agreed to give him a light dose of Banamine so that pain would not keep him from nursing. He keeps draining some blood and fluid and you can tell it bothers him because he keeps wiping his jaw and chin on his legs. Poor Gracie was hysterical. Superman is just such a special boy to us, not sure why, besides that he is so tiny and our first result of our breeding, so she is devastated (as I am). Plus he is now scared of us and before he was all over us. I hope that fear goes away.

Jasmine's milk test is the same as yesterday: 3 squares changed color. She still can clamp her tail and no hooha changes. Just a nice udder. Our other mare, Angel is getting a nice udder too. She has some fluid coming out and it is pretty sticky. I could not get enough out to test tonight and she is our difficult mare to catch and do things to, so milking her is not easy.

Oh Sandy I am so sorry that you and little Gracie have had such a terrible ordeal.
default_sad.png
I think you will have to consider re homing your JR with so many new foals this year. Please give a big hug to Gracie from me and you go and have a nice strong
default_472.gif

Oh poor little Superman, and you and Gracie!

I'm sure Superman will come back around- I bet he is just confused and frightened, but tomorrow when he realizes you and Gracie aren't going to let anything happen to him he will forget all about it hopefully
default_smile.png

I think it's about time for another picture update on the boys.... Haha, I can't get enough of them!

Soon enough it will be the boys and your new filly! ;)

Back