Gracie Dropped - now what??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdomep

Reaction score
Why? Why? Why? Do these guys keep us guesing! She still has no bag to speak of- her nipples are long. And now she has lost the UFO look and is like a "U" (not quite a V)
default_wacko.png
:

Share with me your recent births and the girls goofy signs.

Minnie was SO off last spring we don't feel confident with knowing when this one will go...

Evies bag was big, nipples soft, the full moon came and went and it should have gotten bigger but it didn't, it got smaller. It stayed small and but hard, one day a few weeks later, I noticed that her nipples were getting soft and mushy, and mushier. One night she had WAX and within a few hours she foaled. And thank God we were there for her, don't believe all these yahoos who say you don't need to be there. We'd have lost Evie and the foal, the head and neck were so twisted, when he came out, his tongue was hanging out and purple, we thought he was dead but were just trying to save Evie at that point. Hope yours foals soon and safe.

Oh Julie...as you know Bunny started bagging up 5 weeks or so before she had Abbie?

she had never bagged up like that before? Usually bagged up 3-5 days before delivery.

But! like a day before she delivered her "Udder" area
default_smile.png
was tight as a drum...she was engorged..BIG time...also the evening before she exagerated (sp?) peeing and when I looked at her crotch/vulva area the pee that was still dripping a bit was blood tainted...so I am not sure it was the actual pee?..I had never seen that before with any of my girls either??
default_rolleyes.gif
:

The next morn though she was pacing and PACING with her tail out....settled herself in the farthest corner of the pasture and proceeded to give birth to Abbie
default_wub.png
:

Here's a pic to refresh your memory...
default_smile.png

Firstpic.jpg

SWEET.jpg

Hi! As I read your post and everyone's replies, it's an exciting time, isn't it? We recently had a standard donkey born from our BLM jenny and that was a whole new experience. We have witnessed several mares (minis and full-sized) and one mini donkey so we're not really new to foaling but I get a "gut feeling" when they are getting close. Subtle changes are the key as far as I can tell. Our BLM donkey has probably had as many as 8 babies, having been in the wild until last Dec and she's 9 now. Anyway, her nipples were very enlongated even before she bagged up. Actually, they filled in and looked shorter as we got close to the delivery date. She exhibited all of the "normal" signs we all watch for but on the day she foaled, she got very crabby around the gelding donks. That night, we had her alone and her constant walking began. They are very stoic animals and don't show pain until it's very bad. She stomped her back feet as though she had flies on them, but just a few times. Then, we saw what we'd never seen before: she spread her back legs as though she was going to pee and she had a huge contraction. She did this a couple more times but never layed down. I thought she was going to deliver standing up! On the third one of these, the bag started coming out. Then, she layed down. One leg was way ahead of the other. Next, the head and then, FINALLY the other leg...whew! The sack broke from the first leg force but the head was so far back that the sack was over the nostrils. I couldn't stand waiting but we sure didn't know what this wild donkey would think of us going near her at this time! We decided I had to get that sack off the nostrils so I went in the corral with cookies, which the jenny loves. I slowly walked to her face and talked to her and gave her a cookie. She seemed fine with this! As I walked and talked, I worked my way down her back patting all of the way. I got to the baby who was now out to her girth but not moving and I pulled the sack over those huge wet, heavy ears and left it there. Mom was still relaxing and not at all worried! I gave her another cookie as I left and she stayed down for a much longer time than I'd seen others do. In fact, the baby began moving almost as soon as I removed the sack and was trying to get the front end up before the hips were out of her mother! This has been a very unique experience having the BLMs and they sure are different than our domesticated ones.

Watch for the suble differences in your jenny's actions is my advice. Take care, sleep when you can and good luck!

[SIZE=12pt]Thanks for sharing that experience with us... That is interesting and good to know too!
default_yes.gif
: Shannon
default_smile.png
[/SIZE]

I agree with the subtle changes and watching them on camera, you get a good idea of there habits. With Evie, she always stood in one corner, when she laid down, she'd go to another spot, opposite corner. Her stall was big, about 16 by 22 so gave her plenty of room. The night before she foaled and the night before she did foal, she stood in a different corner, I figured she was close. And when she laid down to foal, she went in a totally new place. She also stood up and pushed like she was going to pee and the white bubble came out. But laid down for the legs and then we were there, the head hadn't come out because it couldn't, we had to untwist it. But I hadn't thought to much about the fact that she'd stood for that first push but now that I read that, I guess she did too. I don't recall ever seeing a horse do that.

When Gracie had Vernon she did it by the book LOL Every sign at the time they should have appeared did- at around midnight Kari called with the she's up/down/up/down again get over here... we got to see the entire delivery. This one WILL not be as easy I can tell...but I went back to my books and saw that her last heat was Nov 18-20 last year so perhaps she still has a few more weeks or more...we have no idea how long she went with Verny...

Minnie was such a pregnancy nightmare - that's why I think we are nervous moms
default_wacko.png
:

Gracie did have a slight bag show up yesterday
default_yes.gif
:

Well, you know how long I'd been watching Evie! I stood here some nights, shoes on, ready to run and I stood and stood, until I gave up and tried to relax. She did the craziest things but now, keep in mind, her baby was twisted, just his neck twisted, his head sideways, trying to come out the butt so mayb that had something to do with her antics. But she'd sometimes lay down and chew or bite her feet. A few times I saw her lay down, on her legs and her whole body and head would just jump or major viborate about 5 or 6 times. She did dumb things, I thought she was just a first time jenny and confused but now I wonder if she knew something wasn't right. But I am thankful every time I look at him that I was here to help when the time came.

Back