RIP Little Remington....you were loved

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The vet called this morning, he is up and walking although wobbly. They tube fed him twice last night, syringe fed once. He doesn't have enough suction right now to try to nurse. They are milking Lizzy for him, she has some but not alot.

They are planning on doing the rope squeeze. She is trying to get it done this morning, I guess it works best if done before 3 days old.

I am so very thankful I found this vet. She truly seems to care about him. She stayed at the clinic last night in the stall with him so she could feed him.

We are heading up in a bit to see him, and hopefully will have more news by then.

If I need to move his updates to another are please let me know. Thank you for your kind words and advice.

This is your foaling thread, so all information about him and his dam can stay right here. Glad to hear he is holding his own. Hope that rope squeeze helps him (I've never used, just watched the video).

I'll be praying for him and for you! They are both beautiful. It sounds like you have some good, caring vets! You didn't say but did you find the placenta for the vets to examine?..just wondering if Lizzy expelled it all.

Saying lots of prayers here for you, too.
default_pray.gif
:pray
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif

And his updates belong RIGHT HERE!

Come on little Remington!! I'm praying that no news is good news...
default_yes.gif

Last edited:
We talked with the clinic earlier, I don't have a full update as my vet was super busy, but the tech let us know that they did do the rope squeeze on him. It did help, but not as much as they were hoping for. While we were visiting he was still out of it, just very tired. He did wake up and started walking around.

She unhooked him from his iv and let him explore, it was wonderful to see as the last time I saw him he had oxygen on him and was squirming (it looked like he was having a seisure). He couldn't hold his head up much, but he did walk around a bit. He looks like he is sleep walking.

Anyhow, after they squeezed him the tech said that he had just "run through" there a bit ago. I would have loved to have seen that. They said he does have more energy, just hasn't gotten his suckle back yet.

We will get a full update from the vet in the morning. I know they are super busy and am trying not to call alot, even though I want to call constantly. She told me "no news is good news" so I keep that in the back of my head.

Lizzy is well, although to me she looks depressed. She tried to leave her stall with us. First her baby is taken, and she is taken from her home and left in a strange place. They have been watching her temp. She isn't producing much milk. They milk her about every 2 hours. They are only getting about 2 ounces.

As for the placenta, that is my fault. I was so worried about him after I found him, my husband buried it to keep the coyotes away. I know she passed it, I saw it, I just didn't think to look to make sure it was whole. They did give her a shot of oxy to help her milk let down, and said that would hopefully push anything left behind out. But they are watching for signs of that since I can't say if it was whole or not.

I think that is about all for tonight. I do have hope now he will make it. Even if I have to syringe or bottle feed him, I am willing to do whatever I can to get him through this.

His vet is wonderful and I know she is doing everything she can.

She sounds just fabulous, and I, too, am hoping that no news is good news. You have done a wonderful job, and your quick actions kept him alive and got him to a safe place. Now, we will just pray for his will to survive, and it sounds like he's really trying hard. I'm sure the stress is hard on Lizzy, but she's in the best place for her AND Remington and will get the attention SHE needs, too.

Don't worry about the placenta. You did the right thing focusing on your baby. They will be watching her for any signs of infection, and you did what was right -- focusing on Remington. They'll figure it out, so we'll all just pray for Remington, and thank you for your quick actions to bring him along this far. You've done wonderfully, and we are all just praying that Remington pulls through. Little ones give us some great scares, and we'll look for some positive reports in the morning.

Rest well, you've done a great job!!

We've worked through some other "dummy foals" here with good outcomes, with lots of prayers and attention from caring owners and good vets. We will expect the same for Remington. We're here for you, and know you are supported by friends who sincerely care for what you're going through. I've had a dummy foal in the past that survived, with round-the-clock hourly feedings for the first 3 days, and constant attention for the first few weeks. She survived, and went on to be a brood mare herself. And I know that Renee in Italy has a thread here for her little man from a year or two ago, and he also made it through. So, we're thinking positive thoughts for a good outcome for Remington, too.
default_pray.gif

I talked to my vet today, she said they are both doing well. Pretty much the same as what the tech said, he does have more energy, but still not sucking right. He doesn't stay latched on even just a bottle.

He wanders around the clinic as he pleases, picks a corner and lays where he wants.

She did say most foals have no residual effects from this.

I am feeling so much better and don't even mind that he is still at the hospital as he should be fine.i am really looking forward to them both being home, seeing them running around in the yard.

This is a good report!! Most of the "dummy" foals seem to outgrow their early problems, and go on just fine. Just a "bump in the road" that can be lethal if it weren't for attentive owners like you! You've done so well being so careful with him, and we're so happy he's doing better.

Can't wait until we can hear he'll be coming home to your waiting arms!!!

Good news!! Looking forward to see his progress?

Both Lizzy and Remington are home!!!!!!! He is much better. Still "slow" as in still wanders around, standing in corners, but he is running, cantering, following people, and his Momma.

Lizzy has started rejecting him. We have to watch them together as she is biting and pushing him around. She will stand and let him try to nurse if we hold her still, but if she isn't held she will keep walking away from him.

We will keep trying to get him nursing off his mom, the vet thinks she may not have enough milk, they have been milking her and only getting 2 ounces at a time. I won't give up though, I will keep working with them.

He is in the house for the night, I do live in Florida but we are under a frost warning tonight, and without a momma to cuddle with, we are following the vets advice to keep him in tonight. Yep I am a crazy animal lover that will bring them right in. ;)

I am feeling much better. He looks great, active and just looks like a healthy boy.

I wish it all worked out with no problems and his mom was able to raise him, but we will deal with what has been going on and try to do the best for them both.

Im SO glad he seems to be doing wellish. Still sounds to me like a bit of dummy foal syndrome - often the mares will reject them cause they are not "right" (it may be worth roping him again?? maybe the vets didn't do it enough?) Also, did they check his eyes for any blindness?

I think its cocoa that brings in a mares milk? I could be wrong.

Such good news!! I'm in Florida, too, and it was a cold night last night. So glad you brought him inside!!

I'd keep trying holding mom so he can nurse -- the stimulation of true nursing (not just pumping) may help bring in a greater milk supply!!

I'm just so excited they are both home, and Remington made it through!! Congratulations again on all your hard work in keeping this little one alive!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back