Goodbye, Kyan

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you, everyone, for your thoughts and comfort.

He should be out in the sun today, chasing Mouse. Now Mouse will get all fat w/out Kyan to run him around. Our neighbors nicely let us use their excavator to lay him to rest. He is in our woods at the opposite end of the property to the barn and house.

When they took him there, Gramma ran til she was exhausted...

default_sad.png

Now to continue trying to adjust to this. Our best guess is that he may have been upset by the explosion when they blew the rock pit at about 4:15 since he was the only horse in the barn (not by anything but a fluke as I usually put them all outside). He may have just flung his head, or reared, or...? His right eye was very swollen and red, and that was the only mark.

All of the thoughts, the shock you are all feeling are indeed in my head and heart as well.

Liz

Liz, I'm so sorry words can never say. :no: I told my mother when she got home from dinner last night and she was horrified and wanted me to pass on her condolences as well. We had an Arab filly that we lost suddenly when as near as we can figure she must have reared or spooked and hit her head on the wall. All we heard was a thrashing out at the barn and by the time we ran the short distance from house to barn she was down on the ground and was gone in moments. We had her autopsied but I was very young and I can't remember if the vet said she hit the delicate bone right over her eye and shattered it or if she hit a particular nerve cluster. My mom's first suspicion was that Kyan had probably done something similar if the only sign was his eye.

I guess we'll never know. He will be missed and I'm holding a big old hug to give you in a few weeks at the Pacific Crown show. Hang in there and hug Kyan's momma, grandma, and brothers for me. I hugged Kody and Spyder a little closer last night after hearing.

Leia

Liz, I am so very sorry about your loss of this nice young horse...please know that my heart is with you.

Seems as if there is more than 'enough' heartache related to having miniature horses so far this year; we love them dearly, which makes these terrible events even more terrible to endure.

Margo

All I can say is your forum family is here for you.

Thinking of you, so sorry for your loss
default_cheekkiss.gif
:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Liz, I'm so sorry to hear about Kyan. I remember his first foal pics on the forum and what a cute little guy he was. I liked him even better in person at the Liz shoot....and I loved the father/son pics she took. You must be heartbroken. It does sound like he died from a head injury.....just one of those flukey things we can neither predict or prevent. It's hard to believe he's gone :no: ......I'm so sorry. Good Bye Kyan, rest in peace.
default_bye-sad.gif
:

Oh NO :no: Oh I'm so , so sorry (((HUGS))) Oh you must be so sad (((((MORE HUGS)))))

Oh no :no: no no no :no: I've been away for the last couple days and just saw your post. My heart is breaking for you - there is nothing I can say that will ease your pain. Please know I'm keeping you in my thoughts and prayers, Liz... of all people, you know I understand....

Big hugs to you my friend,

Liz

Liz, I'm so sorry. I hope you find out what happened to him. I know it won't bring him back but at least you'd know the reason for the sudden death.

Joyce L

What a shock, to leave a healthy, lively colt & come back to find him dead. That is just so sad.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Liz I am so sorry..is very hard to loose a pet. Hope you are able to find out what went wrong with him.

<Hugs>

I am so sorry for your loss. It's such a shock. He certainly was a beautiful boy!

Hugs

Bonnie
default_wub.png
:

Liz

I'm sosorry to hear of your loss, and Tony, please accept my sympathies as well.

Liz, I am so sorry and this is such a shock. He was such a beautiful boy with so much potential and a mirror image of his daddy. I have included one of those "father/son" pics that Sandy (Sedeh) eluded to...

Incredible5-1.jpg

Kyan & Incredible 2006

Oh my god, Nootka.... I can't believe it! I saw the title and was hoping I'd misread! I'm lost. I have no idea what to say. He was such a precious, beautiful boy...

I hope you can find out what happened, or at least that it was an isolated incident. It must be so hard for everyone... I'm so so sorry. I wish I could fix it for you, sooo much.

I know you understand, Liz, and I don't think we'll ever know much more than that we think he hit his head just over or right on his eye. Whether it was the explosion or not (they blow the rock pit to get more material to crush, they had notified us of this, but they have been putting it off for a few days now, and there never was a specific time. They do this fairly commonly a few times a year, and our horses have never really showed that much reaction, the ones in the pasture just startled a little then went back to their grazing), we may never know.

I am always thinking if I could have just persuaded him to go up that "maze" to the upper pasture, or if he had been gelded prior, and able to be on the lower pasture, or if I'd found a good new home for him earlier ... or... what if is big right now.

Thanks for posting the pic, Debra. I did fix my page, but it's hard to put Kyan in the past tense (as in "was" not "is" or "will be."). I am still giving myself little breaks from reality in the form of denial, but it will be hard not to have him here in the future.

It will be comforting to see his father next weekend. They were so alike.

Thanks everyone...one just never knows.

Liz M.

:no: aww I really admired that little guy. How sad. I am so sorry.

God Liz, this is just so unreal. He was such a vibrant little guy just spreading his wings in the showring and getting ready to fly. I was really looking forward to seeing him next weekend and now there will be an empty spot in our hearts. Again, I am so sorry and what a tragic loss.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back