good supplement for arthritis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katie12

Reaction score
I have a mini Mare that has trouble when she first gets up. Wondering what good supplement anyone would recommend for a mini.

I have gotten the best results with liquid Corta-Flx. My 20 year old QH mare with arthritis showed significantly improved movement within 48 hours of being on the product. Another good choice would be Equinyl CM (pellets). Flax seed, with its abundant omega-3 fatty acid profile, also provides anti-inflammatory properties and may help with arthritis. Feed approx 1 oz per day (a heaping tablespoon) to a 250 lb mini.

There are many anti-inflammatory type products on the market, most of which contain glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM, hyaluronic acid, devil's claw, etc., or a combination of many of these ingredients -- all of which are considered non-prescription neutriceuticals. They should all be considered "medications", however, and given with due care. Remember that devil's claw should not be given to pregnant mares as it can cause abortion -- so be sure to read your product's label carefully and follow the manufacturer's directions in terms of dosage. If there are no instructions for ponies, I generally provide 1/4 of the full size horse dose unless instructed otherwise.

Robin C

[SIZE=10pt]I know of a product that does great for my big mare w/ arthritis... [/SIZE]

Equine Missing Link w/ Glucosamine...

you can order it online at www.Doggiefood.com

it runs $28.99 plus $8.00 shipping for a 5 lb bag

it would last a couple of months using on a mini, my big horse gets one scoop once daily. She really does better because of it.

I'm sorry to hear your mare is having a bit of a problem. You've received some good recommendations so far and I would like to add one of my own. Springtime Inc. has some really great, natural products for horse, dog, and human. We have been using the dog product Longevity for about 14 months now with fantastic results. We also use the human Joint Health Capsules. I have used their Gamma for a horse with Cushings Disease and it was wonderful. Regarding arthritis and joint health for horses, I would recommend their Joint Health Formula. Visit their website to learn more, read lots of testimonials, and be sure to read the section on how the guy started this company. It's worthwhile reading and a story about him searching for help for his Akita, Buddha. Their products can be spendy but they always run buy two get one free type promos which we have made good use of. http://www.springtimeinc.com

The dosages on their packaging and web site are for full sized horses. They will tell you the correct dosage for minis and will go by the weight of your horse.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really loved the results that I saw from Corta-flx. I used the powder form, and I really believe it made a difference.

Best wishes,

Liz R.

Latest posts

Back