Good News Friday ---- RETURNS

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitney

Reaction score
I haven't posted in a long while. Busy with tons of projects, but really miss everyone on the forum. So heres my good news this friday, Winter hay is in the barn and it smells WONDERFUL. Have a minifantastic weekend!

It's great to see you back!

My good news is an ongoing "project" but one that's going good even though it's not horse related.

I've re-connected with a friend who is geographically close and now is also close again as a friend. She basically taught me how to ride like I had my own horse after I had my own (big) horse for 5yrs and couldn't, let me drive a mini for the first time, lots of ETC.

She was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes a few months ago. She told me before the diagnosis how she was feeling and I kept thinking "that sounds like diabetes, but she's so active and so thin." (She has a physically active job in addition to all the horses she boards, trains and owns, and, while short, I don't think she weighs more than maybe 95# and is not even remotely overweight.). When she called me and told me the doctor said her fasting blood sugar was "over 500", I was very scared for her.

She lives a mile away, and alone. I cook for just H and I so I asked her if I could start sending her over dinners, and we've been doing this for a couple of months now. She is on just "metformin", which is a pretty mild diabetes drug. She is feeling TONS better. Her fasting numbers are now routinely around 100 in the morning, 180 or so (or less!) after meals., and her A1C, which measures how well your body has handled sugar the past 3mos, has gone from 14.7 (dangerously high) to 7.1, which is high for a non-diabetic but kind of the target for a diabetic, and this is just in a few months and just with the things I've taught her, and the food I make (which is NOT low carb, but with better carbs and just I think it's really helped that she has a consistent dinner that's just ready to heat and eat (or take out the fridge and eat) when she's ready to eat.

So it's good news about one friend, but multi-dimensional. I feel great and proud of her to have been doing so well. Her endocrinologist says she's one for the record books! It's been great to reconnect our close friendship (I just have to make sure I don't let some drama from other people creep in as that is not something I handle well!), and it's also fun to have another person to share the food I cook with because it's not been too long since I realized I like to cook, but darn, it's hard to cook for just 2 people.

Sooooooo.... that's my good news along with, OMG, is there a better time of year to enjoy having horses than the fall???? I love doing things with ours this time of year when it's cooler, lower humidity, and just seeing some of the pretty colors starting to come into the trees. We are pretty lucky people (all of us!).

My good news is that after a long convalescence with my broken leg (horse fell on it)I am now back in full horsey slave mode.

YAY!

My good news is that I am back in the barn after knee replacement on Th Sept 5.My first day back was Th Sept 19(Karl had eye surgery that day and is out of commission for 10-14 days.)I got a friend to come in and clean the 2 big stalls and 3 small stalls in the barn.I can do the feeding and turnouts with my trusty footed cane in 1 hand.I am so glad to be back in the barn with my critters.Had to make some adjustments for the dogs-older Corgi developed back issues while I was in hospital.She now has a ramp to get up steps and old dog learned new trick.Went grocery shopping and rode 1 of those motorized carts in store-didn't knock down any displays or run into any human. Redner's employees were so nice-at least 4 offered to help me.(wouldn't happen in our Walmart here in town)Progress with the knee but I am still really tired and take lots of naps.When I heal completely I plan on becoming a Cougar and chase younger men.1 I have now is only 5 years younger than I am.Just kidding-I'm planning to keep him.I couldn't run this big farm without him.

Latest posts

Back