Going to AMHA Worlds for the first time!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K.C. Lunde

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Very excited to announce that I'm headed down to Texas for the AMHA Worlds!! I am going for the second weekend to watch the halter shows. I've never been so should be a great trip!

My 20th birthday is on October 1, the announcement of the World Champions! So I'm very excited!!

Was looking for any tips for a first timer.. As I'm going with some good friends of mine, who are equally new.. When do things go on sale at the trade booths? Ect? Thanks!

There are alot of farms that have elaborate setups in the barns. It is fun to walk around and check them out! Golf carts are for rent as there are several buildings that house horses. There are always venders in the main building that houses the show ring and also across the street that sell tack, etc. They are there from the beginning, even before the show starts. It is fun!
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
How exciting for you! You and your friends will have a blast!

Definately, as you plan, watch as many classes as you can and the grand and champion of champions classes are awesome as the quality of the horses will blow your mind. In past years the vendors have been really good. Clothes, accessories, jewelry (both costume and the real thing!), tack, grooming supplies, gifts, etc. It's fun to walk through the vendors and see all the cool stuff. But another must-see is all the barns! Make time (and wear walking shoes unless you rent a golf cart) to go through all the barns and see the truly amazing setups some of the farms will have. There are usually some really elaborate ones - fountains, flat screen tvs, leather couches, stocked bars, beautiful framed photos, etc. It's just a ton of fun!

Enjoy!

Things to do outside the show: Go to The Stockyards.......They have neat shops and I think most things are very reasonably priced and depending on which hotel you are staying at, many have free shuttle service to it.

Thankyou so much!!! Very excited to see everything!!... Walking shoes... hmmm.. do my cowboy boots count?
default_rolleyes.gif

Stockyards for sure and eat at Uncle Julio's. Great Mexican food.

Typing on iPhone so this will be short ... Western belts with bling (very reasonably priced) bling type purses, shirts, watches. Also have western housewares, tcraps, sweatshirts, candy and more.

Not trap but t- shirts!! Bad phone!

Just Google the Fort Worth Stockyards and you can see what all is there. Every morning and every evening "cowboys" bring a herd of Longhorn cattle to and from pasture, it's a pretty good show.

Oh and I almost forgot the best of all, Billy Bob's, the world's biggest Honky Tonk. They have bull riding, country music, Google that one, too much to write what all they have.

Eat at Lucille's - great seafood!

Be sure to watch Liberty on Friday night if you are in town then. Usually a party/reception happening on the concourse of the main show arena.

Be sure to watch Multi-Color Stallions on Saturday for Monet, the horse in my avatar (I know, a shameless plug)!

Come find me in the Burnett Building. I stall with Scot Free Stables (Lyn Yung) which is near Blue Ribbon Training Center (Ed Sisk)!

Be sure to check out the barns in the Moncrief Bldg - that's the 'high rent district' and where some of the fanciest setups are.

Thanks so much for the tips!! And I would love to meet up with you.. of course will be watching Monet also!

Getting an iphone before I go so I'll be able to checkout this thread while Im down there!!

And PS.. I'd love to checkout the Honkey Tonk, great suggestion
default_wub.png
default_biggrin.png

Within a very short distance from the AMHA World Show show site are some of the best museums ever. On the edge of the show site is the Amon Carter Museum of American Art. It is FREE and it houses some of the best works of Western artists Frederick Remington and Charles M. Russell. If you like western sculpture and art work, this is the place to see!

Also on the edge of the show site is the Fort Worth Museum of Science and History. You could spend days in there, but one of the best features is the enormous IMAX theater which is thrilling. Next door to that museum is the National Cowgirl Museum and Hall of Fame. There is also the Modern Art Museum and the renowned Kimbell Museum that is a must see. The lunch at the Kimbell Museum is a delight and is within walking distance of "our" arena. Have a wonderful lunch while surrounded by priceless works of art.

Travel up and down Camp Bowie Blvd. which is adjacent to the show site. You will find other small museums, restaurants and boutiques full of bling and other treasures.

As mentioned before, for "nightlife" go to the Stockyards area for shopping, restaurants and the best live country music you can find. Billy Bob's is the "Worlds Largest Honky-tonk." Inside are more than 20 bar-stations, live concerts, food and live bull riding on Fri. and Sat. nights.

You will not have enough time to do all the things you'd like to do in Fort Worth, so plan on coming back again next year!

The best advice I could give is to introduce yourself to as many people as possible. The best way to learn is to take advantage of others' years of experience and knowledge. Networking can get you a LONG way in this industry......that goes for buying, selling, opportunities, etc.

Latest posts

Back