Getting Ready to Jump Into Driving... Now, what else can I do with my mini?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mac's weight limit? If you go by 1/2 - would be 125... And now we have to check on that as I've got mine pulling much more than 1/2 a lot of times. :-

You know, that GS cart pulls a little "trailer" (2nd cart). Can you hook a little wagon to it directly? The same way that you would pull the "the trailer"?

Sorry about your harness, that's too bad. Leather - Ozark Mountain Mini Tack, Star Lake Tack, Prime Design, Double TT Tack, Mini Express tack - these advertise here...

I like it! I'll definitely look into it when I get some more funds.

I just put a deposit down on my comfy fit harness. I'm pretty excited.
default_smile.png

The Comfy Fit looks really nice!!!! You must come back here to let us know about it once you receive it.

Thanks so much! My wallet does not like me but I think my mini will. I got the delux breastcollar, decided against the euro fit but didn't want the regular. I got some bling on his browband because I could.

I'm about $1,600 in on this driving endeavor now... But I decided that after realizing the biothane wasn't what I wanted - I invest in quality tack for my horses to keep for comfort, fit and long-term use. So I might as well invest all of this to make sure I get what I want and hopefully it will last forever!

I am looking to see if I can get a Mattes harness pad from the person I purchase from in Germany. My mini is going to be living it up!

Any other suggestions are always open on fitting the harness to my mini as well as driving training. I purchased the book breaking and training the driving horse, and it is very good.

So excited to get my harness and cart! I think they will be here around the same time.

My cart arrives in Colorado 2/5... can't wait. Can probably arrange for delivery and fitment the following Saturday.

Aerocrown. YeeHaw!

Awesome, congrats! I think mine will be here maybe on the 12/19th. I hope!

Nice, peeps. I don't think a cart is in my future unless someone around here wants to sell something for a good price:)

I will be needing a harness for my new guy once we figure out that he likes being ground driven. I'm getting the surcingle with the open bridle to get him started.

So, which cart did you order, Mini Rocky? Did I miss which one?

Bill, I can't wait to see your pictures of yours when you get it.

Rennolizzie - That's a great place to start! Wish you were closer - i have equipment that could be "shared" or borrowed. Shoot - i have a whole bunch of youngsters that need ground driving time. Any time you'd like to come visit and ground drive (or drive, too), let me know. Right now airports and major roads are still closed from this crippling storm Leon, but later...
default_smile.png
I'd love having visitors and could put up "your boys" for a while if you ever wanted to do that.

Mini Rocky - I'm guessing the Comfy Fit comes in straight leather, too, since you don't like betathane or biothane? It's one of several "higher end" betathane harnesses I've looked at and drooled over... Which collar did you order for your guy?

I didn't like the biothane but the betathane looked like it was more padded and less... fake, so I went with the betathane. I decided that I could use the durability of the synthetic if it was less sharp and angular like the biothane I was using.

I got this cart, the G&S amish built cart.

006sm.jpg

with black powder coat and copper seat.

I ended up with the delux breastcollar, since I'm not a huge fan of how the euro collars fit but he has a rather thick neck and I don't want him to cut off his air. I'm pretty excited. :D And I got a pretty crystal browband to make him look fabulous.

Rennolizzie, I had Mac for two years before I ever decided to jump in and get these. I ground drove him with a nylon surcingle I bought off National Bridle and an open bridle. So I understand!

Last edited by a moderator:
OOOPs - sorry, I did see your post on the cart. That will look very sharp. I'd been studying this cart too, and look forward to hearing what you think of it.

AHHH, on the betathane. Yes, I much prefer my work harness in beta over bio - just that little bit easier to clean/care for as well, LOL. I agree that the edging is different - but would be on any better made harness of any type. I was very surprised by the differences in weight and edging in nylon used for harness, too...

Nice collar. I now have one of those (by my company) and i LOVE it - as do my ponies I like to think.

OH and here is another company that builds the forecart sized just for minis! This time I just put the link directly - but not sure if that's allowed.

http://www.buggy.com/miniforecart.html

I already have one cart. It is a Gerald easy entry but I would like a lighter cart for my little Wiseguy. Since I am starting Nevada pretty soon, my money can go towards equipment for him first unless I see a super deal near here.

Not too many people around here drive but I am meeting a few. Steve is a nice guy and he is helping train my Nevada starting next week. First, we will perfect round pen while I am waiting for my surcingle and open bridle which I am ordering just as soon as Hubby can help me measure for a bit and remeasure the browband area. Can't wait to get my new horse started.

Nevada is improving by leaps and bounds and he has suddenly decided a gal isn't so bad nor is a gal one to buffalo:)

I definitely wish I lived closer because I would love to help you do some ground driving:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nevada is one state I haven't seen at all (I don't think??). Wish I could pull off a visit - love to visit new states. We had folks thinking we were so weird when my friend and I stopped and took pics at rest stops (both KY and IA had some really neat Welcome Centers/rest areas). I must have been on the wrong highways when I entered both TX and OK - never saw any Welcome Centers or maybe we went by them (TX) due to time constraints...

Trust me, I remember my first driving lessons ("real ones") - and then getting our girls going. Honestly, it's still exciting. Glad that Nevada is coming along for you, too, I remember your first couple of posts about him. I'm sure you and Wiseguy will have lots of fun!

Awesome, I'll put that forecart on my list, a little better in the price range to fit!

What a surprise! I got home from work and my comfy fit harness was here. And oh my gosh, it is sooooo nice! I never knew fake leather could be so scrumptious. The betathane is leaps and bounds nicer than biothane. I am so glad I splurged on this harness. Now I just need to put it on him and get some photos! :D

Latest posts

Back