Getting Ready to Jump Into Driving... Now, what else can I do with my mini?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So yesterday we not only took Best of Breed at the dog show, but were done in time to still have some day left.... and I was anxious to try for Legend's first solo. He did GREAT.

Legend%20Driving%201-X2.jpg

[SIZE=11pt]Walking, trotting, extended trot, even canter and turning with sidepass. Solid horse with a butter smooth trot. In his winter woolies. YEEHAW![/SIZE]

That looks good! Can I ask you what cart that is? If you already posted that, I'm sorry as I missed it...

Urgh, I'm so jealous. I am just twiddling my thumbs waiting for my cart!

Bellcrown Aerocrown purchased through Jack Bloss of Rocky Mountain Carriages... he not only assembled and delivered the cart to our place, but then carefully fitted the shafts and even my harness to the horse and cart and gave quite a bit of good guidance. I look forward to taking driving lessons from him.

The colors are my Dad's racing silk colors (minus the white). He was quite a man (and sometimes quite hard to live with) but he had gumption. He went from banking in Chicago to buying a Thoroughbred horse farm in Kentucky (in shambles), restoring it, and ended up breeding a stakes winner (Big John Taylor).

Rest in peace, Dad. Well done. This is in your honor.

http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Results.cfm?type=Horse&refno=602623&registry=T

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/big+john+taylor

LOL... it is a cut down longe whip I got at Big R. Not the greatest whip, but I had it, and .... well, some quality time with a hacksaw and replacing the heavy cord with some parachute cord yielded a whip that was actually fairly light and balanced.

I'd be lying if I said I knew the ins and outs of using it though. One of the things I plan to learn. Jack had some input on that but I did not quite follow. Currently waiting for the DVD Bending the Driving Horse at Jack's suggestion and that will probably be a good start.

How much work do you need to do with your guy yet, before you are looking at driving? Is he just being started or were you doing a refresher course in ground driving with your new harness?

Yep, looking forward to seeing your new cart all put together.

My new guy is pretty skinny, needs gelded and his teeth and feet done (he also had lice), so we are waiting a little bit. Mac needs just about everything, lol.

Latest posts

Back