Getting Papers in my name

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aidansmama

Reaction score
My new little horse is registered but the people we got him from never had the actual papers just a bill of sale and a copy of the papers. The breeder had lost the originals but gave them a photocopy of them. What is the best way to go about getting papers in my name? I have contacted the breeder twice but have not heard back, hoping there is another way around it.

There isn't. You will need the owner of record (whoever is listed as the current owner on the papers) to sign the forms for a replacement certificate and transfer. If you would like to send me the name on your horse, I will check to see if they have been transfered at any time.

Does the person you bought from have a

Signed transfer or just the bill of sale? If there is a signed transfer that person can send in the transfer and the request for a duplicate certificate--because after all it could be that the buyer lost the papers after the breeder turned over the paperwork. I don't think that a bill of sale will be of any value. If there is no signed transfer then the owner of record would have to request the duplicate certificate. I'm speaking of AMHR here, not AMHA.

It was really very bad of the first seller to hand over only a photocopy of the papers and a bill of sale. A signed transfer and request for duplicate papers would have been much more helpful.

Make it as easy for that seller as possible. Use sase when you are requesting forms from him. Don't leave it up to email or phoning or texting--if he doesn't want to bother with your call he won't answer it. Send your request through the mail. You could even register the letter to verify the breeder receives it. Be polite; stress the welfare of the horse.

I went through this a few years ago while helping an older woman disperse a herd.

You may also consider paying for the duplicates, sending the breeder prepared transfer papers that only require a signature, etc. Definitely someone needs to check the registries to make sure the horse was brought permanent, as that is another step if it wasn't done. It's pretty much the same in both registries, so if the horse is double registered, you'll need 2 sets prepared for the breeder.

This should have been done for the first sale, as this horse wasn't registerable or transferable for that sale.

But, the breeder may no longer be a member of the registries, so offering to pay for the transfers is probably your best bet. And I would also suggest mailing everything, and put in a return envelope with postage -- so all the person has to do and sign and post the envelope.

Good luck.

It isn't the breeder's fault that you don't have transferable papers and it's not their responsibility. I would be kind, congenial and not only offer to pay expenses, but also offer to pay for their time and effort and I would pay in advance.

If it's not worth it to you to pay the breeder for his service, then why would it be worth it to him to do it for free?

Dr. Taylor

Actually it is kind of the breeder's fault there are no transferable papers, if indeed the breeder is the one who lost the papers and then sold the horse with only a photocopy and a bill of sale. (unless of course the breeder sold the horse as unregistered and provided the photocopy only as a matter of interest--we do not know that of course).

If the breeder sold the horse as registered he should have provided the actual certificate so that subsequent owners would have the chance to have the papers in their names.

But please do ask your seller if they have a signed transfer--it will be much easier if they do, as long as they will then give you a signed transfer.

Even if the person you bought the horse from has a signed transfer, if they do not have the original certificate then the person whose name is on the papers will have to sign the paperwork for the replacement. A transfer only works if you have the papers or the application for a replacement certificate signed by the person whose name is on the papers.

MinimomNC--for AMHR that is not correct. I know someone who had it happen the way I described. If buyer has the signed transfer they can obtain the certificate themselves--they do not have to get the seller to apply for the replacement certificate. It was a surprise to me, but that really is the way it works.

Yes with the AMHR I have sent in a signed transfer of ownership and a request for duplicate cert with the appropriate fee with no issues. HOWEVER this horse has changed hands not once, but twice, so if the horse is still in the breeder's name, you probably need the breeder's signature on a transfer in order for it to be valid, as they should be the owner on record. If you have a transfer from the breeder to the first owner (the person from whom you bough the horse) and then a transfer from the seller to you with all of the necessary signatures, AMHR should print you the duplicate cert and it will have all of the changes of ownership listed.

It could be possible that the breeder sold the horse without papers for some reason, or the horse was not reg. or had cert taken away, you never know. Does the photo on the copy of the cert match the horse? Basically, the important thing is having the signature on the transfer matching to the owner on record with the office. It is not entirely the breeders fault, as if they gave the buyer a transfer and the buyer (the seller in your case) never paid for a duplicate. Many breeders and sellers invest as little money as possible into sale horses and there may be a reason this horse's papers never were issued. If someone here with access to the stud book can help you look the horse up in the appropriate registry they will be able to tell you the owner on record. If you get the owner on record's signature, you should be able to get a duplicate. Ask one of these nice people to do a look up for you. They will need the horse's registered name/number and appropriate registry. good luck.

Latest posts

Back