gelding by the "signs"?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockysticksfeatherfarm

Reaction score
My Aunt told me this on FB I am not sure what she means, the vet didn't mention this. I don't want to sound dumb by asking but I am having a hard time finding info on it...

Make sure that the signs are right before you geld him. It should be in the knees or below. Look in the almanac or pull it up on the internet. We are gelding a colt next month on March 11th. The signs are good for March 6th to March 12th. You will have to look for Feb. There is much less bleeding and it does not effect their mind so much.

I have my yearling colts app for next week and he is starting to show signs of puberty so I am not really wanting to put it off, but I also want to do whats best for him.... maybe this only applies to large horses? what do you guys think?

I do not believe the sign of the moon changes anything, but to each their own. I'm sure the Vet will do the surgery whenever you would like. I do not know the moon signs.

Dr. Taylor

I have to disagree with Dr. Taylor. I have had several colts gelded 'in the sign,' and it truly does make a difference! Little to no bleeding! I also wean foals by the sign. IT WORKS!!

I recently gelded a boy of mine. Don't know if it was by the signs but I have a great vet and it was an easy procedure for him. First time I'd ever witnessed a gelding and I was amazed at how quickly and easily it. I didn't want to put it off and I don't know that I would have waited but it's interesting to hear about these theories.

Personal opinion... gelding too soon can affect development, joints, etc. Geld when you need to, but I would be in no hurry.

My bias is from dog experience though.

I always geld by the moon signs, my vet does too, he doesn't like to geld at other times because they bleed less, swell less, and just do better. I wean by the moon signs also and it is much easier.

Mary

I've never paid the slightest attention to such things; have had numerous horses, both large and miniature, gelded, and never had ANY issues.

Margo

Grabbed from another horse forum:

"A 2000-year-old practice (still not scientifically proven) sets gelding
time based on astrological signs charted in the Farmers Almanac. When
castrating according to astrology, look for downward trends, or signs
“moving away from the heart.” Also look for the moon in Pisces for
optimal castration times. Almanac users say recovery is easier, with
less blood and swelling; some say “it couldn't hurt” to consult this
time-proven method still in use today."

I guess I would tend to look at it like acupuncture... you don't have to buy the explanation (astrology) to observe the correlation or benefit or whatever. Growing up on a farm, I know lots of things were done according to the moon, seasons, etc. People have been doing this stuff for a very long time and lots of the drugs we take for granted came from folk remedies and native traditions. (Lots of other stuff came from there too, maybe not so good, so I'd be interested to hear of any studies on it. Hey CSU, study idea!).

http://www.farmersalmanac.com./calendar/best-days/

I have enough Celt and Native American in me to not write it off...
default_whistling.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm... well I'm all Celt so maybe I better go find an Almanac! My wee guy is 7mths and jumped up on my 11yr old daughter's back the other day like as if he is "finding himself"...

My vets do not believe in it, but while I was there making an appointment the Ag teacher came in with a trailer full of show hogs. He only castrates by the moon.

I used the moon sign for the last 3 I had done; I'm not going to say one way or another, but if the moon can control the tides there must be something to it. For thousands of years folks lived close to the earth and were more aware of natural phenomenon than we are. How could the whole, complicated thing have developed if there weren't some basis in fact? Where there's smoke...

http://www.almanac.com/bestdays/timetable

I geld when I'M ready and the colt/stallion is ready, not the stars or moon or....

Have never had problems. All have healed quickly, including a 16-17 yr old stallion that we gelded. In fact, he healed the quickest. If both testicles are dropped, the temp is cooler so no/few insects, and the horse is healthy, why not?

I wean when the time comes when it's most convenient for me too and so far have never had problems. No ulcers or anything else.

Here we have always gelded when we wanted it done/when the vet was available/when the weather is right (not too hot, during fly season, not too cold)we have gelded in the spring, in the fall, and once in the winter during a very mild spelland have never had any issuesno excessive bleeding, no infectionso I cannot say that I put any stock in what the almanac says.

I am curiousfor those of you who say you have always gelded by the moon and had less bleeding.if you have always gelded by the moon, how can you know that you have had less bleeding than if you had gelded during a time when you consider the moon to be unfavourable? LOL If youve never tried any other time then you cannot say that one of those off times would have resulted in any more bleeding than what you have experienced!!

well the dates for Feb are the 9th and 10th which is the weekend so those are out anyway, I am just going to keep his appointment for next Wednesday and pray for the best. The weather has been amazing and it feels like spring
default_smile.png

Back