Gelding an older stallion.....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kareng

Reaction score
As many of you probably know I have stopped breeding horses - made that decision about 3 years ago. I have 2 stallions - one is 15 and I've had him for 12 years and the other one is 7 and just had 5 years. Since I stopped breeding no real need for stallions. My older stallion is a keeper but I couldn't see him living alone and he couldn't live with the mares - not breeding anymore and quite a few of my mares are older including 1 that for her health shouldn't be bred anymore. So, 2 weeks ago I made the decision to geld my older stallion. Well, I took him over Thursday night for his procedure Friday morning. Our vet keeps them through the weekend and so when they came home they are done with antibiotics and well into their recovery. Well, while he was there the vet determined he needed his teeth done so he had that done as well. I picked him up Monday and he is going great. I was a little hesistant due to his age but I am SO HAPPY that in the near future he can go out and live with his girls that he has produced some lovely babies with. He certainly deserves his retirement just as much as the girls do. For me and for him, I feel it was a very good decision.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my experience in case there were anyone who was considering gelding an older stallion. I will also share the cost involved which I'm sure for people in other areas can be much higher. Total gelding cost was $185.

kareng

Last edited by a moderator:
I've gelded several mature stallions and had no problems with any of them. I think it's a great idea for those boys who don't need to be breeding any longer.

Congratulations - enjoy your "new" horse!

Karen,

Thank you for sharing that. And Kuddos to you for doing it. Fifteen is not too old, IMO. We also gelded our very first stallion at 15 without a problem. It's good for people to know that gelding an "older" fellow can work out wonderfully.

Ma---

Karen,

So happy for your boy! What a wonderful retirement he will have now and kudos to you for giving him that chance!

I too have gelded an older stallion. Mine was a rescue estimated to be in his 20's at the time. The vet was somewhat concerned and I had two to do that day so we did Wiz first so the vet could watch him longer (while he was gelding the 2 yr old). Well, Wiz did just fine and my little 2 yr old took FOREVER to get up and get back to normal. So much for assuming the older gentleman would have the issue!

It's been about 3 years now and Wiz lives with the herd (as does Corona who was also gelded later in life) and all is well.

Congrats again!

We gelded Debonaire at 24 - he is 29 now and a happy camper. He still postures with the stallions and then forgets why he is doing so and moves on. He can still be a little bit "herdy" but soon forgets why he is putting all that energy out and goes back to hanging out with his best friends. He has turned into a great babysitter for the young colts - still keeps them in their places and gives them a run for the money - I love my old guy, he is pretty cool. With the way he is going, he could easily live another 5-10 years.

Stac

THanks for that info. I have an older stallion that I drive and will not be using him for breeding here.

I am a little worried about how he would act once gelded, regarding the "studly behaviour".

I think it would be kinder to geld him though, than leaving him intact and never using him.

Is there a health risk with having him intact and never using him? I bought him 2 years ago for driving and he was used up until then.

I hope he is going to be very happy in his retirement years! Good for you for thinking of his quality of life. One word of caution (and I realize you may already know this) for the mare that shouldn't be bred - if her being mounted would be a problem you may want to remove her from the field as he may continue to mount mares when the mood strikes.

Lori,

The mare that shouldn't be bred is one that had a late term abortion and almost prolapsed. The vet didn't tell me not to breed her but after I saw what she went through I'm just not willing to take the risk. It's just not worth it. I hope that I never see a mare completely prolapse. I know that I've seen it in sheep and it's not pretty. So, I would consider it a risk if she were to become pregnant which won't be a problem before too long.

Thanks everyone for posting your success stories. It's wonderful to see so many older stallions gelded - especially the one at 24! That makes mine look like a youngster!

Kareng

I just gelded two this week one was 5yrs and the other is 2 1/2 yrs the cost was $125 for the surgery and $15 for drugs. But we gelded a 13 and 15 yr old last year and they did great and are not beginner driving horses.

Thanks for the input - from everyone - I have an 11 yr old stallion I have been back and forth on gelding. He doesn't seem to be going anywhere LOL, so he will likely be a gelding before long.

Jan

Latest posts

Back