Gangway Northwest........Here comes Winter!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leia obviously you haven't met Jimmy, he shivers horribly when it gets down to 40deg. Always has. For a mighty stallion he is truly a wuss. As for the others. It's for me I am sure but last year I caught Jasmine shivering right along with Jimmy. I figure I don't know when it will rain or snow here. Back and forth. I haven't been able to vacuum the dirt off so worried about normal fluff. They are happy and actually look forward to getting into their blankets. Guess my horses are just spoiled rotten little brats.

I also admit, my kids probably dont "need" their blankets, but I feel better when they are wearing them. They enjoyed getting them off for awhile today and being able to roll and run, but they didn't put up any kind of fuss when I put them back on tonight. Chip and Sandi poked their noses right thru that neck hole, no questions asked.

If they're shivering, they need blankets, no question! I've got poor Spyder double-blanketed right now until his appetite comes back. I'm sure he's overheating, but hey! Like you said, sometimes it just makes us feel better.
default_smile.png

Leia

It snowed like crazy out here on the Kitsap peninsula, but nothing compared to Arlington.
default_new_shocked.gif
It is definitely colder tonight than it was last night. I have gone back and forth on the whole blanket thing. Tonight Windy is blanket free, but I may go out in the middle of the night and put it on her. If I can't sleep, I need to put it on, whether she really needs it or not. I am ready for things to get back to normal; it will be a while before I complain of rain, I promise.

There was still the crazy dog stuff. After stealing the horse's carrot the dogs had their ten minutes of outside time.

DSCF0787.jpg

DSCF0796.jpg

A foot and a half of snow here in the Skykomish Valley. Very beautiful. Very cold. We now have a weather alert for this weekend predicting sustained winds of 50+ mph gusting to 70-90. That ought to be just dandy. Hope our power stays on, we will have to go somewhere else if not...our little toddler will not do well in the kind of outage we had a couple of years ago that lasted 9 days. Keep your fingers crossed they were wrong on that one.

It's 5:39am and snowing here in Scappoose. They are expecting between 6" to 10" tomorrow of more snow. Then it will turn to freezing rain which will mean a layer of ice on top of everything. Tomorrow they will stay in warm and dry and out playing slip and slide. I am going to try to get pics before the ice hits though.

Yeah Leia my horses are in their mid teens and can't seem to handle the cold so much. Except for Koda and Duckie but just doesn't seem fair to not blanket them also to keep them dry and warm.

I just want it to stop now. Tired of having to drive in this and having to freeze while doing the barn work. I'm way past my teens and the cold really gets me. How many layers can a person wear?

Its got to be way worse for Susanne and Erin up there on those hills.

"name='Shortpig'

the cold really gets me. How many layers can a person wear?"

This is what I was wearing in our tropical 33 degrees at noon yesterday, before the next round of snow came thru.....

I had gloves, a hat, a ear warmer band, 4 layers on top (a turtle neck, a sweatshirt, a heavy fleece, and a windbreaker) 3 layers on the bottom (thick low socks & knee high socks over the top of those, leggings, heavy sweat pants and my hiking boots..... If one of the horses had bumped into me and knocked me down, I'd not have been able to get up LOL LOL I was so bundled.

When you really get to bustling in the barn it's almost to warm....but it feels good when you're puddling along or out in the pasture.

Not sure what I'll add to the mix of clothing when the temps drop low, low on Saturday & Sunday.

Stay warm and safe!

Snow2008-ZuniMe.jpg

Hey Nancy! You'd be like that kid in A Christmas Story who can't even put his arms down once he's all dressed up to go outside!

I have taken a ton of photos of this incredible snow event and put them up on my blog. If you'd like to see how it is here in Arlington, please take a look. I'll be putting up more today.

Everybody stay warm!

Jayne

Those are great photos Jayne.....Very Christmasy!

As close as we are to the coast we've had no where near as much

as snow as you guys are getting hit with. Thank God!

It is such a dry snow though which is so unusal for us. Usually we

get the soggy sloppy snow.

I liked going back to see the warm weather photos on your blog

from November LOL

I remember thinking in November after we got over that Veteran's

Day storm, that just maybe we were going to have a nice

winter this year..... Which would be a nice change from being flooded

out in 2006 and the hugemongous wind storm and snow in 2007.

What was I thinking??!!

I asked Michael if all this weather was coming from the Frazier River

Canyon in Canada, if maybe that meant it was really nice and warm

there now and would be a good place to visit. I'd like them to come and

get their cold and snow.

Stay warm and safe over the week end as I hear it's going to get nastier.

Those are some impressive photos Jayne!

Ella.. not impressed

Ella.jpg

Alpaca's.. not impressed

alpacatrio.jpg

Before the main storm

all.jpg

after

woodshillsmist.jpg

paturewoods.jpg

I'm on the West Coast of British Columbia, Canada. We've been averaging temperatures of about -6C (not sure what that is in F) during the day but with the windchill it gets to -20C. The entire country is below zero and likely everywhere in the country will have snow for Christmas! Not something that usually happens! About a 1hour drive from my house where friends of ours live they received 26INCHES of snow in a 12 hour period!!!! Down here we received about 12-14inches of snow in that same time period. That's on top of the many, many inches of snow we had prior to that snowfall! It's meant to snow all week next week. The horses are absolutely loving all the cold and snow! They would much rather be experiencing what we are now that the rain/mud that is normally happening during fall. Finally I dont have to blanket because they're so warm in this weather without the rain! Ahhhh I just love this weather my life is so much easier. Even with frozen pipes and all that it's still much easier and better! I'd take -20C and snow over rain ANYDAY!

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, okay...I'll say it -- UNCLE!!

I know that other forum members in northern climes are reading our whine -- I mean thread -- and guffaw at what we consider a great snowfall. I know...we're spoiled rotten. In between your laughs, just remember that it's all relative. Normal for us is the 40 degrees F forecast for Christmas Eve. I'm dreaming of a green Christmas!

The sad thing is, I know I'll fondly remember this dry cold and the lovely powder snow when the freezing rain hits...Forecast: more whines!

It's now 2pm, I'm only now warming up after our mid-morning trough de-icing, and it's time to go out again. This time we need to tackle the onerous task of takng snow off the roof of lodgepole structure that makes our ugly singlewide look a bit less like an ugly singlewide. Yes, we're paranoid, but the thought of it all coming down on us is a bit daunting...

Keith does the actual work. My job is to hold the ladder steady while he throws vast quantities of snow on top of me...at least that's how it ends up.

This morning we went tracking in our winter wonderland...two silly city people (still), taking wild guess at what sort of animal had travelled our road before us.

Keith managed to make it home from work last night, armed with a new set of chains. When he got up to go back this morning, there was no getting the car out of the driveway. I took this as a sign -- yesterday was just warm enough to melt the top of the snow, but not warm enough to clear the roads, which means that at 5am they were surely slick as snot. Not a comforting thought, especially considering the 30 foot drop-off with no guardrail into a frozen creek.

Here it is, six days til Christmas, and I haven't begun my shopping.

Reporting from the frozen wilderness, this is susanne.

jayne, I keep meaning to tell you how much I love your blog! I can't register, so I can't post a reply there, so this will have to do.

Am glad Keith made it home last night Susanne. Robert wasn't able to go to work yesterday or today... he is really good driving in this weather but there is only so much even he can deal with.

You need to buy yourself a nice bright colored hard hat Susanne,,, in case Keith dumps too much snow on you.
default_wink.png

Have to admit.. I am worried about that old shed and hen house out in the back. No way to get the snow off that thing safely. Will just have to cross my fingers. Is still snowing abit a bit more heavy now. Sigh ~~

Am wondering if they closed the roads up to here because the USPS never showed up today.

You could always order the gifts and have the delivery people bring it to your house.
default_laugh.png
Let them deal with the snow!

Stay safe and warm everyone....and I would love to see more snow pictures!

Today is the day, aren't we all lucky and excited about having a huge dumping of snow. My daughter got back about 20mins ago from picking her hubby up at work at the Portland Airport. Said they now have as much snow in portland as out here. I will kick everyone out of stalls to clean and get ready to feed them. They will love me for that one.

Vicky thru her biggies out in the snow yesterday and was surprised (not so much) when dear sweet Cinders ears flattened back, her eyes glowed red, and she was snorting fire over the prospect of being put out to die. Good ole Tango takes it a little more in stride.

Pictures of my littles are on the photo formum

I've been watching the hour by hour forecast that said the snow should arrive around

3 PM here, close to the coast and the wind early this evening.......

So much for forecasts.......snow arrived about 10 AM, the wind is just slight for now.

Batten down the hatches Northwest buddies.......looks like a snowy windy week end before

we can look forward to even a bit of warming at the first of the week.

Then we can start thinking of grumbling about the mud...that sounds like a luxury right now.

OK....this snow can stop anytime now!!! Its been snowing non-stop since 5 am....sigh!! I am sooo tired of it (never really liked snow in the 1st place), but now its almost Christmas and I have stuff to DO!! (No, I do not drive in snow...lol)
default_unsure.png

Yup add me to "Enough already" crowd!! 12" and counting and some really high winds.
default_wacko.png
Anyone have a snow blower?

We just went out and removed all the snow build up from Jimmy and Kodas barn roof. When it was built the roof was put on the wrong way so no real support for each of the metal strips. Now they are locked back up and eating their hay I hope.

We now have a total of 6" of snow and it hasn't stopped even once since it started early this morning. It does look really pretty though.

Help I've fallen and I can't get up! Just kidding!

Winter2008011.jpg

Shari said:
Anyone have a snow blower?
Don't need one...Mother Nature's doing a wonderful job all by herself!
default_new_shocked.gif
I drove home after work yesterday while it was still clear to check on Spyder and do some chores but when there was already an inch of snow on my car an hour after it started snowing I figured I'd better spend the night at work rather than face the morning commute after it had turned to sleet. My sweetie's parents picked me up at the office and we went down to Seatac International to get him...I'm told the landing at 10PM could best be described as "difficult."
default_unsure.png
The words "white-knuckled" were also mentioned.
default_rolleyes.gif
The drive home wasn't much better! The windshield wipers kept freezing up, the snow was being blown around in winds so strong I had to lean and shield my eyes while walking, I-405 was completely covered in loose white snow several inches deep with not even tracks for a lot of it...yuck!

I've never seen conditions like this. When we got back to my office parking lot the middle was clear (except for the ice) but all the snow that had fallen was piled up against the cars and office windows in huge drifts. I know this is normal for some of you, but with all the trees around here we just don't GET drifts. It was up to my knees when it had been clear that morning!
default_new_shocked.gif
I got some pix which I will try to post later.

Stay safe, everyone.

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back