I come in peace! What is this world coming to???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please do tell the police. To paraphrase, (not sure this is exactly word for word) "All that is necessary for evil to triumph if for good men to do nothing."

Pepper spray is a good idea and ALWAYS take your cell phone. If you can't write down tag numbers, maybe you can take a photo if your phone has a camera.

By the way, you have all this written down. Copy it and give it to the police.

Last edited by a moderator:
While pepper spray or bear spray are good to have, they aren't always a good defense...

In this case, with him going to Rolex's head, you couldn't spray him without also spraying your horse. If there were any wind, you could disable yourself as easily as them.

I would DEFINITELY report them to the police -- although you don't know all of their particulars, a report would be on file in case these creeps bother you or someone else again.

Thanks so much all of you.

Marty, thanks so much for your encouragement too! {{{HUGS}}} I am no longer working though, haven't been working in about 2 years now, just after my 2nd of 3 brain surgeries. I'm going to call my brother in the morning and talk with him. He's a Police Officer in our old hometown where we grew up, (where I used to work too). If he advises to, then I will go ahead and call this into our County Sheriff's office (as we don't have a local PD out here in Paisley) to make an incident report at least.

I don't know if I'll have ever have the nerve to venture out into "their streets" by myself anymore, not after today!!! I do have 5 dogs here at home, so thankfully when hubby's at work, I'm not home by myself, perse'. When I drive up and down our own little road, Tracker usually runs with me, but I don't take my dogs when I go "out" into the neighborhood, as I wouldn't want to chance them becoming a nuisance themselves by chasing all the cats that folks seem to have up there...lots of elderly folks have their cats, and I wouldn't want my dogs, and through them, me as well to become unwanted among them...so always have just kept them home when I go anywhere beyond our own little road. Think that's where I'm gonna keep myself from now on too, at least untill from time to time when hubby might have the "go-ability" to go with me.

Kootenay, yes, there is a small creek that runs over this trail about 3 miles down, then the trail that roots from there going about 7 miles further is Forestry Ranger station. It's been a long time since I've gone down that far though, so I don't know if there might be a bridge over it now or not. Last time I went that far, there was no bridge though. Just the small creek running right across the trailway itself. This is the same trail though, the creek is about 3 miles down to get to it from our end though.

I am so glad to hear you have all those dogs!!! I have trained several of my dogs to run along with me. Or do you have room in the cart? It would be a shame for you to have to be stuck at home because of these brutes. I would make a police report as others have advised. I would also start training one of your dogs to either ride in the cart or run along next to it. In my younger days I used my Samoyeds and Akita in harness to pull me on skates. Now we use a 4 wheeler and tie a lead to the rack and the dog runs along with us. We don't go real fast but they love going for a good long run. Maybe you could try it at home with the cart and see how it worked. I have always used a bicycle or 4 wheeler to exercise the big dogs. Good luck I hope you find a solution so that you can regain your freedom and the thing that brings you so much joy.

Last edited by a moderator:
So sorry this has happened to you Tanya..

I quit driving in our neighborhood years ago because of this type of problem..

Only ours was with teens in cars..
default_no.gif

You should report it to the authorities but they won't be able to do anything until they actually touch you, or your horses.

I was driving my Mum and her friend home from shopping in the city many years ago.

Some drinking people in a pick -up pulled out to pass and tossed a beer bottle into our path.

My car hit it on the tire and the tire exploded and we got stopped inches from a tree.

There were witnesses and we had the license plate as well.

The police said if we had hit the tree and been injured or killed they may have been able to do something!

It seems to me that our laws favour the criminals!

our laws do unfortunatly give all the rights to criminals.. HOWEVER i would certianly recommend calling the police and weather they can do anything at all INSIST they file a report. The more reports they have about this (should it happen again) the easier it is to legally pursue it if/when you figure out who is doing it. Just because they didn't threaten you bodily they are still threatening to do damage on personal property, and although that isn't as much of a "crime" unfortunate it's still a threat. By telling the police it may also prompt them to do heavier survalliance of that area looking for trouble. I wouldn't hesitate to call and tell them even if they do nothing more than take a report. I have gone through this myself personally however it was someone i knew doing it.

You know.. you can also let the Animal control know that young man threaten to kill your horse. More people that know about it the better.

Do you have enough room on your cart or can you make a rumble seat for one of your dogs? You could harness the dog, with a quick release leash...and/or train said dog to stay in the cart until you command other wise and take a dog with you.

Now that DH is laid off..if we get some good weather.... he loves to take walks but I can't go that far. So I will drive Maggie next to him as he walks...she is very good about matching the speed of the human walking. Tell you, know one and nothing will bug us with barrel chested DH with me!

Regardless of the fact that the "law" can't do anything until it's "too late", you should still call the authorities and tell them about these "kids?". The fact that they were walking and later driving about a neighborhood that has elderly means that they could have been intimidating those people too. The police or sheriff needs to know about them as a potential threat to the neighborhood. Don't feel "silly" calling them. It's more like your duty to report this incident.

I agree with carrying the cell phone and with contacting some of the "nice elderly" people in case you ever need their help. Sorry this had to happen to you.

I've spoken with my brother about this and we have this taken care of now. Would like to leave this in the hands of local authorities now, and just try to move forward now.

default_saludando.gif
Wishing everyone a happy and peaceful day!
default_wub.png
{{{HUGS}}}

I hope this is resolved quickly so you and Rolex can enjoy your strolls again! How crummy that some degenerates can ruin it for others
default_thumbdown.gif

I've spoken with my brother about this and we have this taken care of now. Would like to leave this in the hands of local authorities now, and just try to move forward now.
default_saludando.gif
Wishing everyone a happy and peaceful day!
default_wub.png
{{{HUGS}}}

Good News, just like you said, have to move forward and try to put this behind you.
default_wub.png

Shari said:
I would put fliers up around that area, stating information wanted for a young man that threatened to kill your horse. Many other folks will not like the idea of an animal killer about because if the kid has killed an animal once they'll keep doing it.
default_new_shocked.gif
Now THAT is asking for trouble. Not only is it going to really p!ss off the punk in question, it puts your contact information right out there for him to find so he can come and hurt you or your horses!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_no.gif
Nope, uh-uh, no way. Make a report with the police, talk to the neighbors so they know what's happened and can keep an eye out, then do what you have to to keep yourself safe.

susanne said:
While pepper spray or bear spray are good to have, they aren't always a good defense...
In this case, with him going to Rolex's head, you couldn't spray him without also spraying your horse. If there were any wind, you could disable yourself as easily as them.
That thought had occured to me too.
default_rolleyes.gif
Still, it's a nice threat! *LOL*

I have permission from quite a few of my neighbors to take the horses on their property and I did use those escape routes when I was being threatened. I was sincerely afraid that the group of young men had rape on their minds so I was desperate to get OUT of there. I went into "Defensive Driving" mode and Kody and I headed home at a fast trot and ducked behind hedges and parked cars to hide when they drove by each time. As soon as they were safely out of sight to circle the block we'd pick up a dead run until we saw headlights again. I have never been so scared as when we turned onto our street (having not seen them for a few minutes) and their car was parked on the dark road between me and home.
default_ohnoes.jpg
If I'd been riding I would have ducked onto the pipeline that runs parallel to the road without hesitation and gone around them in the dark but that wasn't an option with a cart as you have to cross a steep narrow ditch. I was so angry at myself for having left the cell phone at home (something I almost never do). If I'd had it I would have simply stayed out of sight at the end of the street and called my dad to come down from the other end with a light and his gun to spook them away. As it was, I felt I had no choice but to pass them. I got out in the middle of the road and stayed far away from them and at the first sign of a car door opening I was prepared to ask Kody to bolt. Thank God for well-trained, smart, brave little horses!!
default_pray.gif
The car kept idling forward to stay just ahead of us but finally pulled into a driveway to turn around. As soon as they were in a position where they were turned away I sent Kody into a gallop and we ran for our lives. I was so scared!! Thankfully there were three neighbors I have the property agreement with just past that so I ducked down the driveway of one with more than one exit and hid on his property until they left and my heartrate was a bit lower. Kody took such good care of me that night- he never hesitated whether I was saying "Run!" or "Whoa, Hide!"
default_wub.png

Good neighbors, a cell phone and a little forethought can save your life.

Leia

I agree with Leia! Limit your exposure as much as possible.

I can tell you that if this had happened to my wife or one of my loved ones a very quiet and incognito hunting party would have been formed immediately. Being found hanging upside down from a pole in yer underwear (or not...) after being firmly "caressed", has a positive influence on herd behavior.......

Bb

Shari said:
I would put fliers up around that area, stating information wanted for a young man that threatened to kill your horse. Many other folks will not like the idea of an animal killer about because if the kid has killed an animal once they'll keep doing it.
default_new_shocked.gif
Now THAT is asking for trouble. Not only is it going to really p!ss off the punk in question, it puts your contact information right out there for him to find so he can come and hurt you or your horses!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_no.gif
Nope, uh-uh, no way. Make a report with the police, talk to the neighbors so they know what's happened and can keep an eye out, then do what you have to to keep yourself safe.

Leia... I had a friend do this and none of her contact info was on the fliers. She worked with the Police..forgot what department handle these kinds of things..but the police info was on there as point of contact. Guess I should of been more clear.

Lets just say if I hid from the problems I have had here...things would be much, much worse than they are.

As for Bear spray,,, people that don't know animals will not know if you will use it on them or not. Sometimes just having it, will make them back off.

Please do tell the police. To paraphrase, (not sure this is exactly word for word) "All that is necessary for evil to triumph if for good men to do nothing."
Pepper spray is a good idea and ALWAYS take your cell phone. If you can't write down tag numbers, maybe you can take a photo if your phone has a camera.

By the way, you have all this written down. Copy it and give it to the police.
I'm so sorry this happened to you Tanya...reading the series of events made me very scared for you and Rolex. Thank God you both are safe. I too would report it to the police...at least they will have it on file. Hard to say don't let them intimidate you, because I can feel how shook up you are by just your words. Make sure you have all your guards up at home as well for the safety of your little ones. It's ashame idiots like this find humor in intimidating people. I'm glad the creep did'nt touch Rolex....just bad vibes there all around. Keep safe, Tanya....thinking of you and your little guys.

I've used pepper spray before, be VERY close to the intended recipient and down wind. Empty the entire container on them too. It takes about 45 min for the stuff to wear off. (I had to be sprayed with it in order to carry the stuff for work).

I recently added the local police department's phone number for dispatch, and the local animal control to my cell phone.

Calls to 911 in our area are handled by a city that is two hours away and there is a delay in responding.

It is ALWAYS good to carry a charged cell phone and alter your plans if the phone is dead.

You might consider putting local important numbers in your cell phone for easy access.

We did animal control because of loose pit bulls and rottweillers and loose dogs in general. Sometimes this number is as important as the police.

Latest posts

Back