I come in peace! What is this world coming to???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SWA

Reaction score
Ok, this is going to be a bit of a "vent fest", let me tell you!!! I'm so rattled right now, I am literally SHAKING!!!! I don't know if I'm shaking from fear of not fully understanding just what the heck happened? Or if I'm shaking from ANGER of knowing what "could" have happened??? Good grief!!!! I really don't know why I'm shaking, just that I am, and the more I think on it, the more rattled I get!!!
default_wacko.png

Today started out WONDERFUL! After my morning chores, I came online for a little bit, then around lunch time, I went outside to let my dogs romp around about while I ate a sandwich. Then my little stallion, Rolex, gave a little nicker, and it made me chuckle at him and say... hey there boy, you're thinking what I'm thinking aren't ya, LOL! It's such a beautiful afternoon, much warmer than last week, where it was 30 degrees out at high noon for a couple days there. Today, much warmer in the 70's with a nice breeze though that made it just so beautiful out. So I finished my sandwich and got my harness out and hitched Rolex up for what I thought was going to be such a glorious afternoon stroll to the forestry trails.
default_unsure.png

I didn't think to take my cell phone with me, as I really didn't expect to be gone all that long, just was gonna head over to the nearest trail to let him stretch his legs for a bit, then call it a day. Something I've done dozens of times already since we've lived out here. The only thing that was different this time, was the "time of day" it was to get a notion of thinking this would be a good idea.

Normally, my "strolls" with one of my horses was always early in the morning or late afternoon. My last experience of the late afternoon drives though was pretty much nixed, when I was out by myself and this group of kids was all on bycycles, there were 4 of them, ranging in ages of about 13 to 15 years old. The oldest one though, was a little strange to say the least.

When I go to the forestry trails, unfortunately I HAVE to make a small trek through this little neighborhood to cross the main road (SR 42) that the nearest forestry trail is directly off of. Back when we first moved out here, I didn't know that trail was there though, so would just trek around the little neighborhood itself. Always had a joyful time of it, as there are lots of elderly folks that would come out to see my horses (whichever of them I was driving for the day) and would have lots of fun just visiting with them. It's the elderly folks out here that I absolutely ADORE!!! But that one time, this group of kids was out on their bikes, I guess just coming home from school. But, when they saw me with my horse treking through the streets of this neighborhood, they would make it a point of meeting me at the end of each and every street (about 5 blocks worth) and the oldest of them would make these weird barking sounds at me, I guess to see if he could spook my horse or something??? I don't know, but that boy was just not right in the head, but I wasn't too worried as they never did try to do anything else other than making those weird sounds this boy would bark at me with at the end of each street of each block. So I just went back home that day and decided from that time on, I would just take my strolls early in the morning when I know kids of that neighborhood "should" be in school. Leaving me to just enjoying visits with the elderly folks that I've since made wonderfully enjoyable friendships with.

Well...till today.... {{{SIGHS}}}
default_wacko.png
Now I just don't know what to think????

We don't live in that neighborhood, we live back in the woods here behind that neighborhood in the Blue Lake Estates. Their neighborhood is called something like "Lake Cathryn" I think, but we have to drive through it to get back to where we live back in the woods beyond it. Then behind us is a lake with hundreds of acres, but I think it's all privately owned. We do have permission to have our horses down to the lake, from the owner of the property of it from our side of it, but with the severe lack of rain lately, the trail to it is sugar sand and my little guys can't tote my chunky butt through it without it being a chore to them. I didn't want to do that to them, so for now, have just been sticking to treking through that neighborhood in front of us that stands between us and the "maintained" forestry trails.

So anyways, I'm out today, same as always, just in the middle of the afternoon, but still early where school kids should be in school, but definately later in the day than my normal morning stroll time. I was out having such a good time, Rolex feeling good to go, and just a beautiful day to boot, and we're just making our way through this little rinky dink neighborhood to get to the other side where we can cross over the main road to the forestry trails!

Well, about half way through there, out of no where, these three kids come around the corner of one of the side streets. Two girls and a boy, all in their late teens, or possibly early 20's I guess, so either should be in high school and skipping, or out walking the streets, evidently with no "job" to be getting to. Either way, they were up to no good!!! Unbeknownst to me though...at first.

The two girls were laughing and cutting up with each other, and the guy...well he just had this strange straight look on his face, no smile, nothing. Just straight faced and looking directly at Rolex. The girls were evidently having a good time though, so I thought they must just be ribbing this guy or something and he was just not amused at their humor I guess??? Well, they were still walking down the street toward us, but out of ear shot of me, where I could hear they were saying, but getting closer to us, and all the while the guy was zeroed in directly on Rolex. I'm thinking... Ok???? But not too alarmed, as both the girls seemed to be having such a good time, still laughing and cutting up with each other. Well, as they got closer to us, they started to cross the street to walk up to us. I'm thinking, ok, they must want to pet Rolex or something, so "ok"...we'll stop and talk and they can pet him and what not.

Well, I said "HI" to them, (now they are close enough that I could smell this strange odor about them. I don't know what it was, but whatever it was they all WREAKED of it something awful!!!, but not full grasping the moment of it all, I was still all ready to offer to let them pet him and all, but before I could say anything beyond my greeting, the guy comes right out and says to me, "If I ever catch that thing pooping (his actual word for pooping was much more colorful) on my streets, I'm gonna have to KILL IT!" The whole time he was speaking this venom he was staring dead at Rolex, and now I'm just sitting there in my cart completely STUNNED!!! And these two girls are just having a ball at finding humor in his declaration! Then before I could react, he reached his hand up toward Rolex's face, not in a striking manner, just up and toward him, when one of the girls grabbed his arm and turned him away, and the other girl shoved him away and both still laughing, then the one said, "Oh come on, let's just go", and just that quick they all turned away and walked back to the corner they'd just come around from.

I was just so completely flabergasted at this! And just sat there wondering..."WHAT THE HECK JUST HAPPENED??????"

I couldn't respond to this with words, I had none, and even I could have thought of what to say...I don't think this guy would have even heard me. There was nothing there to even speak to, just a COLD BLACK HEART, was all that was there in this guy. He had no weapon in his hand, that I could tell at least, and I don't know what he might have intended by reaching up toward Rolex like that, but he wasn't going to just "pet" him, that's for sure!!!

Well, the whole thing rattled me enough to say, Ok, I'm going home! So I turned Rolex around and started to head back, then something STUPID in me just said...you know what??? I'm not gonna let some doped up punk ruin my day like this!!! So I tried to just shake it all off and turned him back around and started back on my way toward the road that would take me over to the forestry trails. We finally made it over, and at the beginning of the first trail that's there right off the main road at that point, there's about a good 1/2 mile stretch of it that is straight, and you can see all the way down it from the main road there, till you reach the first bend on down the road. Well, we crossed the highway there and was not at the beginning point there of the actuall forestry trails on that straight way part, when this old klunker pick up truck came speeding up behind us, and slowed down when it got even with us, was kind enough to chuck out a beer bottle at me and then speed up past us down toward the bend. As they passed, while the beer bottle is flying over my head, I realize that the people in this truck was the same two girls and that guy, and they were now with two more guys, one of which threw the bottle at me. Well, once they got around the bend up ahead of us, all the hairs on the back of my neck rose up on end!!!! I don't know if they were up there waiting on me to come around that bend or not, but sure wasn't gonna trek any further to find out!!!!

So with that, I turned Rolex back around and headed back home!!! I prayed, "God please just help Rolex get us out of here and back home ALIVE & UNHARMED?" THankfully, we are back home now, and unharmed, other than being so rattled that I don't know what to think! I called Lee and told him and he says I should call the police. I don't know what they could even do though, as the guy's threat was not on me, it was on Rolex. That alone makes me SO ANGRY, but I don't know if it's anything the police could even do anything about, unless and until that punk was actually dumb enough to make good on his threat.

Those blooming idiots were definately out on the streets though, not only doped up on whatever they were doped up on, but now also, driving and evidently drinking too. If I do call the police, now a good almost 3 hours after the time it all happened, I don't know if there's anything they can do. I don't know what to do! {{{Sighs}}} I have never seen these kids before, and have no idea where they live out in that neighborhood, and am almost scared to death that if I do still call the police and the police do find them, will they then retaliate and come to kill my horses????

I'm so rattled right now that I'm finding myself actually angry enough to say stupid stuff like, "if they do come to kill my horses, they better come packing with a bullet meant for me, and they better make sure they are able to make good on their aim while under the influence of whatever they are doped up on, because they are going to have to come through ME to get to my horses, and HEAVEN HELP 'EM if they miss, cause I WILL shoot back, and TRUST ME... I WILL NOT MISS!!!!!

I know I'm just venting with I say that, but still, I'm just shaking from even thinking it, and I'm just so rattled over the whole thing right now...I hate that these doped up punks have made me feel like this!!!! I come to this town in peace, and for the most part, I love it here!!! The elderly folks out here, I absolutely ADORE! Why do people like these little twirps have to exist??? BLACK HEARTS!!! Wish they would crawl back into whatever woodwork they came out of and just STAY THERE!!!!! All I wanted to do was just enjoy an afternoon stroll with my horse...was that too much to ask????

I know I won't be driving my horses anytime soon now, if ever even at all now!!!! Not out here anyways, not anymore!!!! I want to MOVE!!!!!
default_no.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
That must have been a scary awful experience!! I don't know what to say except sorry this had to happen to you. I don't know what half the people think nowadays. Try not to let it spoil your fun. Is there anyone else nearby to drive with? Or a friend that would come and drive with you? Make sure you take your cell phone and next time Don't hesitiate to call the police. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to still call them now so that the incident is on file so if anything should come up again(I so hope it doesn't) at least there is a prior incident report.

Deep breath sweetie, deep breath! I know it's scary when that sort of thing happens (I've been there, out alone driving after dark on a holiday and got chased around the block by some drunk 20-something guys in a beater car) but you've got some alternatives you wouldn't have with a big horse. You know all those elderly folks you're friends with? Get permission from them to take the horse on their property if it ever happens again! Duck Rolex straight up the front walk and around the back and knock on the door. Have them call the police. At the very least that's harassment and assault, and they're probably violating some other law by threatening your property/livestock. It probably is a bit late now but next time carry your cell phone and let them see you using it. Getting caught is no part of the plan for punks like that.

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience, give it a few days and go out in the early morning. I guarantee you worthless punks like that will not be awake in the wee hours (they'll be too busy sleeping off the last drunk/orgy/drug high).

Hugs,

Leia

Edited to add: Four words- "pepper spray" and "driving whip!"
default_new_shocked.gif

What jerks.
default_no.gif
I don't usually drive by myself except in our back pasture. I've always believed in the buddy system out on the trails when I was still horseback riding and just don't feel comfortable going on a trek without someone with me! I'd definately carry my cell phone from now on and at least let someone know where you're going and for approx how long! Sounds like Rolex is a real trooper though!

I am so sorry this happened to you, but this kind of thing is everywhere. I would be worried about them finding where you live. I would never put anything past these freaks these days. I always felt good when I had my Akita with me, 120 lbs of fanged pure protection. I have a Golden and an Aussie now they won't let anything come on our property without sounding off. I am not sure if they would attack but they sure sound like it. My daughter doesn't go anywhere without one of them at her side. Do you have a dog? If not you need one and a hand gun with some lessons. My heart goes out to you. I would like to see those *ss*oles come up to you with a big freaking Akita sitting in your little buggy!

I agree 100% with Leia's post including the pepper spray. I wouldn't let them run me off, but I also wouldn't come unprepared next time either. If you've got a camera phone and they ever pull that again, I'd take their picture for identification--sure sounds like harassment to me. I'd also have recorded the plates on the truck. They were looking for exactly the reaction you had--what a bunch of underage druggies/drinkers are NOT looking for is a visit from the police. Your story makes me SO angry! You have every right to be angry too.

I agree about the buddy system and the cell phone. This is a hard one for me, as I'm a loner and refuse to be ruled by fear, but in today's world, I wouldn't venture onto an isolated trail alone. We regular drive our gorgeous rail-to-trail, but with it's limited entry and exit points I would never drive it alone.

Of course, your incident in the neighborhood proves that you have to be careful everywhere. Unfortunately, a single person driving a mini appears invitingly vulnerable to a bully. Assuming they weren't totally out of their minds, having your cell phone in your hand would make you look a bit less like an easy target.

How well can you wield that whip? The mother bear in me smiles at the thought of what that could do...

Take care, Tanya!

I never go out with my horses with out my cell phone. One time as we entered the hills we encontered a car load of guys with guns. we did an about face as I was dialing 911. Even if they were not up to no good we are in an area that you can not even go out and target shoot. The poilce passed us as they were going out to take care of it. Never leave home with out the cell.

Yep.....Cell Phone and Pepper Spray. Make friends with all the neighbors on your route and tell them what happened.

I would also report those kids to the police as that area sounds like a "hang out" for juvenile delinquents to smoke pot and drink. And once you share your experience to the neighbors in that area, they may also have an idea who that one guy is. He sounds like he's someone who the police may already know about!

I am so sorry this happened to you!

I would call the cops. Give them a description and let them know that they smelled weird. I bet the cops will up the patrol in the area and that will make the kids find a new hang out spot.

Do not let them stop your fun! Bring your phone, and a camera next time. Good luck

so happy you are safe and home.
default_wub.png

I just do not understand these kids today, they are not someone you want to deal with.

I would not go out there again, without someone knowing you are going?

I do not want to frighten you, but years ago i would say he was just being a bully, and showing off with the girls, but bullies today are not like our kids being bullies, they fight to really hurt, and sometimes kill.

Yes, talk with the police and just ask if there has been any other complaints about these kids.

Be carefull
default_no.gif

That would have scared me too. You just don't know how people like that are going to act. I'm afraid I wouldn't go alone again. I think I would have a talk to some of your older friends and see if any of them have seen these kids before or know anything about them.

I have a gun, know how to use it, and would not be afraid to is it meant protectin me or my horses.

Pam

I hope you called the police!!! Did you get the trucks licence? I would put fliers up around that area, stating information wanted for a young man that threatened to kill your horse. Many other folks will not like the idea of an animal killer about because if the kid has killed an animal once they'll keep doing it.

Yes, there are nasty people all around sadly.

I would recommend you carry some "bear spray" much better than pepper spray....and learn how to use it. Also driving with someone else if you can would be safer but I do understand having to go alone.

Me... I have gotten rather... oh .. I don't know. Lets just say... at my age and gimpiness, people better not threaten me or my animals. I will stay all legal..like but those kind of nasties won't be liking life.

Dirty Demons!

I have similar problems here, but it's dirt bikes and those who ride them.

I also believe in mace and a cell phone. I may be small, but i'm not going to take that abuse from anyone.

I'm so sorry that happened to you. It's absolutely terrible, and I hope that you have no further troubles with those people.

:Kim

You might go talk to the police. They may have other complains on the same punks.

You hate filing charges, that gives them an excuse in their little pea brains to retaliate and if you do nothing they win.

So sorry this happened to you. I'm sick just reading about it.
default_no.gif

Have you ever watched the FX show Sons of Anarchy ? Shame you can't get SAMCRO to deal with them
default_wink.png

my towns full of low lifes like those kids too, its seems the lunatics are running the asylum,

where i used to live i would have been afraid to walk by groups of youngters,

they are so abusive, the worlds not a safe place anymore

bring back disapline

what a terrible experience...

I really hate this happened to you. But Tanya, where are you going to go if you move? There is no safe perfect place on earth but if you find one, let me know and I'll come with you.

You are in law enforcement and you know you should make a report of this at the PD just in case something happens. Meanwhile, I would be keeping a very close eye on your surroundings and pay attention to everything. These kids are up to no good as you said and you have to trust your instincts.

Tanya I am so sorry this happened to you, I would be scared too if someone threatened my horse like that. Someone posted that you should talk to the elderly people you have made friends with and if it happens again you could go to their house as a safe place, that is really a good idea and never leave home without your cell phone and some spray be it pepper or bear. Just tell the police about this incident so you have it on file in case something like this happens again. Give Rolex a hug and a pat for me and hugs to you too.

Yvonne

Latest posts

Back