Gangway Northwest........Here comes Winter!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baybrianna

Reaction score
So far we've been feeling sort of spoiled, I think. Here in Central Oregon our night temps have been below freezing, which was okay......in the 20's to low 30's. And the highs were heavenly -- in the 50's!

Not - no more! We've been getting winter storm warnings for days..........Day time temps in the teens and 20's .........Lows in the SINGLE DIGITS.

Time to button down the hatches and make doubly sure our trough heaters are in good order.....don'tcha think???

And knowing our old house pipes, I'm taking a nice long shower, plus filling a bunch of water containers and buckets!

Whoops, I entered this on my daughter's account. Sorry, this is MA, miniventures

Last edited by a moderator:
You know what? It is a PAIN having a child who is old enough to use the computer!!!! :arg!

LOL MA!!!
default_laugh.png

BTW....BRRRRrrrrrrrrr......its not that cold here....in the 40's....but I heard snow is on the way this weekend.....this is what I have to say about that.....PFFT!! LOL

And they can do things to computers that takes weeks for adults to figure out!
default_laugh.png

For the weather....it has been usually warm here. Normally we would of had at least one snow storm by now and Nov1 has been the start of hard frozen ground. Not so this winter, it was near 50* during the day yesterday! Now the news said we would get alot of snow starting tonight and through the weekend. Should prove interesting.

And here I was thinking WOW, Bri sure sounds adult today!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_rofl.gif

Yep, they're still predicting snow here too but so far the temps haven't gotten below 32 once this year. Not that I'm complaining!
default_new_shocked.gif
Spyder's beet pulp and grass pellet soup is very hard to fix and clean up after once the hose freezes and there's no running water down at the barn.
default_rolleyes.gif

I do love the snow but figure we'll probably get plenty of those cold temps in Jan/Feb so I can live with a little more thermal-gear-free barn time.

Whatever. I've got three days off this weekend for once so I guarantee you it won't snow until at least Monday!
default_frusty.gif

Leia

It's been colder than a witches you know what here! We only have about 10 inches of snow right now, none forecasted in the near future, but it is coooollllddd...this snow will probably be here for the rest of the winter, plus additional. Our weather station says it was 11 last night. I hate winter!

The weather forecast for the next week is looking crummy.

Just when I've been thinking we were maybe going to get back

to our more mild winter pattern.

It's been lovely here, with the exception, of the Veteran's Day

storm.

We have a forecast for some nasty winds tomorrow, here on the

Washington coast and then moving on to freezing temps thru

next week.

Guess as long as it doesn't flood, we'll deal.......don't have to

like it but we'll deal.

I have definately been spoiled here too up in the mountains of Colorado. Temps have been in the 50s and even in the 60s, until a few days ago, that huge storm went thru and left almost 3 ft of snow here. yuck. My Dukey Doo, he was scared to death of the snow, I do not know if he has ever seen snow living in Florida his whole life. He freaked today, been in his stall for 2 days, snow melted down to about 14 inches, so we plowed the dry lots and he went out, well no he didnt, I had to put his halter on and drag him out the door. He was shaking in his hooves and blowin, he was freaking out. but after about an hour, he was ok with it. looks like we have another storm coming thru, ugh, I want this to melt first. ha ha ha we worked so hard the other day to clean all the snow away from the barn, so we could walk, then about 6 hours later all the snow from the roof came off and piled about an 8ft high, 48 ft long pile, ha ha ha ha. had to start over again. when my husband mentioned moving to Texas tonight, I did not argue. ha ha ha hoping for the 50s and 60s to come back here soon. thats my xmas wish.

Well I hate to say it but freezing would help me up here just north of Lynden. (In Canada)

Snows due here supposedly.

However nothing can dull my excitement we are finally moving into a place where horses dogs and us will all live in harmony (Dont tell me otherwise it wont work)

I know the real cold isn't due until Sunday, but it was pretty danged cold this morning when I went out to feed -- luckily I had my coffee ready to warm my hands when I came back in!

They're predicting high winds for the coast and somewhat heavy winds for the Willamette Valley -- we're usually sheltered from the wind, and so far it's quiet here.

The bad thing at our elevation is that if there's snow, we'll get it -- and then it's supposed to freeze, meaning that we're stuck with it for as long as it's cold....grrr and brrr -- wouldn't you know, I haven't started my Christmas shopping!

We've got wind and rain and Mother Nature accidently threw in a blue break

in the clouds and a bit of sun. Didn't last long enough to find the rainbow.

We've had nearly a half inch of rain so if it's going to get as cold as forecast

I'd like the rain to stop and NOT have that rain be snow........

We are suppose to get wind tonight in South Eastern, Washington... it is a calm and balmy 41 degrees right now....just enough time to top off water tanks and make sure heaters are working properly. We are suppose to have high winds tonight, rain, and then the "Artic Blast" is suppose to arrive....we will not see temps above freezing for awhile...you know what happens with all that water, followed by low temps....... One day next week the high and low are predicted to be the same... 21 degrees. I was suppose to make a quick trip up the Columbia River Gorge tomorrow, but I am now thinking that won't happen.

Maybe our friends on the West side of Washington/Oregon would like to keep this weather over on their side of the state a bit longer and spare us the Artic Blast???
default_wink.png
We are perfectly fine with 41 degrees...

Yep.........I don't mind the snow so much it's the ARCTIC TEMPS!
default_new_shocked.gif

The NOAA website is saying this is like the Arctic Storms we had in 1990.....

Wind chills next week are going to be 10 degrees below zero..they are saying now.

This is NOT going to be a week of moderate Western Washington winter weather.

I'd rather have the arctic blast without SNOW....tyvm....I hope the snow stays away from here on the Valley floor...please please please! :Cold-Scared Have I mentioned I hate snow?? LOL!
default_unsure.png

Hey.........We got some major wind gusts this evening with our electricity going out for short times........Have a dusting of snow so far.......

No problem........I'm just not looking forward to the MINUS 3 that's predicted for Mondays night!
default_shutup.gif

LindaL said:
I'd rather have the arctic blast without SNOW....
No way!!
default_new_shocked.gif
Then you get all the hard work, dangerous driving, inability to work the horse and general misery and none of the fun! If it's going to be cold, it could at least have the decency to snow so I can get pictures and enjoy it a little.
default_laugh.png

Leia

Latest posts

Back