Gangway Northwest........Here comes Winter!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We ended up with 7" of powder snow....then we had the freezing rain, so now everything is CRUNCHY!!
default_unsure.png
I'll take some pics later when I can make myself go out in the cold....its 21 Degrees right now....
default_gaah.gif

This morning at 7:30. The horse is not wanting out of the barn

Sunday21009.jpg

I cleared off this kids' picnic table last night so I could get an idea of how much snow we were getting

Sunday21015.jpg

They say the worst is over. It is still snowing here, but luckily the high winds did not hit my area. However, there is a dusting of snow everywhere. In the woodshed, carport, barn...
default_sad.png

I really feel for all the people stuck at the airport, and for those that have never had this.

Pics I just took...tried to stick a measuring tape thru the snow/ice to get a pic of the 7" mark, but it wouldnt break thru the ice on top....
default_wacko.png
LOL (dates on pics are wrong...need to fix that on the camera...lol)

100_1456.jpg

100_1457.jpg

100_1458.jpg

100_1459.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! I was raised near that area. We are now on the eastside of WA. I know how difficult that can be for people in that area....typically, that side of WA/OR doesn't have the equipment to deal with that amount of snow. I went up to surprise our neighbor lady (her husband just passed away this fall...) by shoveling her walk and driveway this am. When I was all finished, I worried I'd just made it more slippery for her...so I cautioned her about walking out on it. She thanked me profusely and then I turned to walk away...not so gracefully both my feet went out from under me.... Only my dignity was hurt a bit...we both laughed...
default_new_rofl.gif
and I said.."There, I just demonstrated why you should be very careful and how slippery this is..."
default_new_shocked.gif

Stay safe and warm, ~ Becky

View from the computer room window ...... It's snowing still, although

it's warmed and changed from small teeny flakes yesterday to big flakes today.

We're up to about 10 inches - 30 miles from the ocean. Hate to think how much

the rest of you guys are getting.

Horses are snug in their rooms munching away, still.

The snow below this, that has fallen today, froze over in the night when it started sleeting.

Just seems they are better off in their bedrooms.

SV300870.jpg

It apparently started snowing again and covered the footprints made earlier today...and now it is a mix of snow and freezing rain....*sigh* (I seriously think I jinxed the winter by telling my fiance Deb who is from Florida that it "almost never snows and rarely sticks".....
default_laugh.png
default_rolleyes.gif
)

Words fail me, other than HOLY SH1T!!! Didn't I already say Uncle?

We have over 12 inches -- more where it has drifted -- with a 1/2 inch crust of ice from the freezing rain. Our little dogs would sink in over their heads, if not for the fact that they can't break through the crust!

We woke this morning to see that our beautiful apple tree, provider of the most succulent, delicious apples you can imagine, had fallen under the weight of the snow. That is a huge loss, but we just have to be thankful that it fell away from, and not on, the corral fence.

The horses love it, but then they have mom and dad keeping hay in front of them, feeding them warm beet pulp and hay pellets (extra soupy) and de-icing their troughs around the clock.

It is unbelievably gorgeous up here, even if we are completely snowbound. Our trees are completely laden with snow, branches bowing to the ground. Our Mountain Hemlocks always look slightly comical with their nodding tops and drooping branches, but never so much as now. Even the t-post caps wear cute, tidy cones of snow.

By some miracle we still have power, at least for now.

We made a huge pan of lasagna, figuring that if the power goes out it will still keep (in a snow bank if neccessary), and it will be good cold as well as hot.

If the power goes out, our well pump won't work, so we set up several days worth of beet pulp and hay pellets and filled extra buckets of water, all stored in our already tiny bathroom. Our heat will also go, which means we'll have to huddle under the comforters with the dogs and cats.

The true measure of deprivation, however, is that I've run out of my absolute necessity: fresh ground coffee. Keith trekked 2 miles down our hill to our little country market, where the best he could get was Folgers "gourmet" -- now that's an oxymoron! But at least we have power to MAKE coffee, and it is hot...

Oh yes...no need to worry about Christmas shopping...Christmas has been officially postponed. My long-planned lunch with my best friend, Nancy, has also been postponed.

Our big entertainment, other than a couple of lousy movies rented from B & B Market, has been watching the nonstop weather coverage on TV. Portland is virtually shut down. I-84, the major east-west artery, is closed due to ice and gale-force winds. Other highwats and major thoroughfares in town require traction devices or studded snow tires.

Even the hospital where Keith works has cancelled all clinics and elective surgeries (which means the day surgery department where he works). OHSU sits high above the city on one of its highest hilltops, and access is via one of Portland's most notoriously treacherous roads.

Throughout the city, they've asked everyone to stay off the roads except for emergencies. While we can laugh at such drama over a few inches of snow, the freezing rain has truly devastated the entire city.

But all told, we're doing great up here, safe at home on our hill, even if I do have to drink nasty coffee!

I haven't read through all the new posts.But as of two days ago we had 12" of snow, night before last.. added another 2 inches of snow then a thick layer of Ice on that, DS has th epaths to the animal pastures dug out and yesterday they filled up. Will ask him to measure the snow some time today but from the looks of it..it will be 16" or more. I haven't been able to go out in the snow...DH brought home a nasty fku which I ended up with. So please cuse the spelling..amd using a different key board from a distance from the computer,,..

Last time I watched the news it said it was going to snow all week?

This weather is even crazing for these hills.... DH has to try to get to town to pick me up some needed things.Croaa your fingers for him.

Another couple of inches here as well. Swept off (as much as I could reach) the woodshed roof last night. There is about an inch of ice under the 12" of snow. News today is of roof collapses
default_new_shocked.gif
I will be getting the ladder out and finish the wood shed and do other structures as well. I think Christmas will also be delayed here. More snow expected in sometime the next couple of days. Power went out last night sometime, but is back up this morning. I suspect the heavily laden trees are to blame. The animals are no longer playful in this stuff. Corgis have to bunny hop and have to try hard to find an area in which they can squat. The horse just hangs around the barn. First day of winter today...I am ready for Spring rain
default_sad.png

Today I have to deice and dig out my truck can't stay home from work all week afterall. And it is still snowing. I am really getting tired of trudging thru the deep snow and ice to do anything at all outside.

I'm dreaming of a green Christmas

Just like the ones I used to know.

Delaying Christmas...now THAT sounds like a good idea!! I have to work Christmas Eve and Christmas Day and while that was bad enough with a normal commute, I was about ready to cry thinking of having to stay the night here and not see my family at all over the holiday. I do however have the following three days off so I think I'll suggest putting off Christmas until Friday. That idea makes me feel so much better!

I've been trapped in this building for three days and haven't gotten to watch the news, read a paper, go outside, or see how bad the roads are except for Saturday night going south to the airport. My parents say getting to the barn is getting a little difficult and thank God for our new heated buckets! I'm afraid someone would have broken a hip or injured a back hauling water in this stuff. They did lose power for awhile but it came back, same thing with phone lines and internet. We're also on a well so when the power goes out there's no running water. Thank God for generous neighbors!

Susanne, I'm so sorry to hear about your apple tree. What a bummer! Shari, hope you feel better soon. Everyone else, keep taking those pictures! I'll bring the camera home and take some shots tomorrow on my day off. The piles of plowed snow in our office parking lot were each taller than my head last night, now they're taller and twice as wide.
default_new_shocked.gif

Leia

We got 8 more inches last night. I measure 21" on my back deck, but it's compacted some over the past week so I would surely be comfortable saying it was two feet!!

Like Susanne, I have had ENOUGH ALREADY. Hubby is up on the roof of the shop taking the weight of all that snow off of it. Our house and barn are fine structurally in that they are new within the last three years, but the shop is old and we don't know the construction of it, so it's better safe than sorry. We saw a story about a building collapse in a nearby town and that got us to talking what we might need to do. Frank has experience doing this in Wisconsin, but we sure never expected to have to do that HERE!!!

We lost power last night right when we went to bed, and were very happy to have it come back on at exactly 2:04am. Whew. That would be a nightmare...no heat, no water, etc.

I have posted a TON of pics on my blog, so if you want to see what it's been like, please feel free to take a look!

Hopefully the end is near!!

Jayne

Feel free to have yourself a seat
default_wacko.png

DSCF0836.jpg

It seems that the joy has gone for the animals...

DSCF0829.jpg

DSCF0823.jpg

(Kate is mid-bunny hop)

Here are a few pictures in case you're on dial-up and can't see the blog. The first is showing 21" of snow on my back porch. This is from over a week of snowing so I am sure there has been some compaction too. Wow. Just wow.

348202016.jpg

Here is the hubby on the roof of the shop taking the weight off. We didn't build this shop so don't know how it is structurally. Some buildings have been collapsing in our area so we figured better safe than sorry.

348202024.jpg

And here are my two minis, Maddie on the left and Yakki on the right. He's totally up past his belly! But they're having fun.

348202020.jpg

COME ON WARM WEATHER!!

Jayne

I agree! ENOUGH already!!! We go out to do chores and our previous tracks are covered.........The horses are looking at us with the question of, "When is this going to end?" I don't want to measure the snow because I know it will just make me depressed.......

We have a youngster here that came to visit Brianna Friday after school for a sleep-over...........She's STILL HERE because the roads up to her house are so treacherous. I was all set to try to take her home yesterday when we got freezing rain mixed with snow.........AAARRRGGG........The kids are getting cabin fever.

Larry and I have bought most of Brianna's presents last week, and Larry ordered mine which is on its way.......(I know what it is.) But I really need to get OUT and buy for Larry! I can get one thing on line, but not the other........sigh........

I should count our blessings. We have only lost water going to the kitchen sink. All other faucets in the house are fine. So if anyone wants to send me some cheese, I'll have it with this WHINE.
default_wink.png

We just finnished 4-5 days of -30 temperature and about 2 feet of snow.... horses were covered in frost (had ice on their eyelashes!!) and had to use a blow dryer to get the ice/snow out of their feet as they looked like they had high heel shoes on!

This is a snow over hang off the south side of the barn......

We did have a loafing shed roof over the east side of the barn and the snow

load did collapse it......it was new and well built we thought, but definitely

not for this amount of snow.

We knocked this down so it wouldn't land on one of the kids.

It has warmed up to about 39 here today and no more snow forecast

until tomorrow evening and Wednesday's snow is coming with wind.

Christmas is beginning to sound like a potential wash.

SV300900.jpg

SV300903.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back