FWF Little Blue Boy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looked in my 1995 Reference book and it says he was a dapple grey. :saludando:

But he turned dapple gray from some other color - like bay or chestnut. What was his ORIGINAL color before he grayed out? Anyone know? No prizes here, just curious.

Well....he could have been Silver Dapple. Imany of those were registered as "dapple grays". But the only way to know for sure, would be to see a foal picture of him. I did see photos of him as a yearling, and he looked to be a Silver Dapple at that time. (hadn't grayed out yet).

The picture that Tom Wilson showed me, who bred him before Fredrika Wagner bought him he was black as a baby and turned grey. Much like my Sweet Tart.He goes back to the Michigan ponies thru Midget Mike but thats not on his papers. Thats just what Tom Wilson and Tom Taylor have told me. I visited the Wilsons twice before Marie and he died.

Lyn

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Lyn; that is very interesting information. And if he was black as a foal and looked dapple gray as a yearling, isn't it likely that he was really black? If he had been silver dapple, wouldn't he have been more gray as a yearling instead of looking "dapple gray"? Dapple gray as a yearling sounds like what I would expect from the normal graying process for a black horse. (See what I am learning on this forum!).

[SIZE=12pt]My colt, Sterling, was born looking beige. He clipped out at about 6 weeks of age as a beautiful silver dapple. His color is super (sometimes I wish I hadn't sold him). Colors in these minis just amaze me.[/SIZE]

Here's a picture of him as a baby.

Hock_ActionAvatar.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]Here's a picture of him at the 2005 Mini-O-Rama where he took I believe 5 out of 6 blues in color.[/SIZE].

Sterling2005MiniO.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]A friend of mine just bought a Blue Boy son - I believe he is 20 years old now - he's a black.[/SIZE]

Barbie

It has recently been pointed out to me that SILVER DAPPLE is not GRAY. They are two different colors. A gray horse turns white after a while and a silver dapple can be a silver dapple all it's life.

Thank you all for the info about him.....Black it is!

I have a Blue Boy daughter - she's 25 now :aktion033: She's registered as black and basically looks chocolate brown, with grey hairs throughout - not like a roan, they're more sparse than that. I haven't had her tested, but my uneducated guess is that she's chocolate silver. She has silver buckskins out of golden buckskin stallions.

I don't mean to hyjack this thread but something caught my attention.

"It has recently been pointed out to me that SILVER DAPPLE is not GRAY. They are two different colors. A gray horse turns white after a while and a silver dapple can be a silver dapple all it's life."

I started a thread a few days ago about my guys color and seeing this got me wondering. He is gray with dapples and someone said his color is gray. What do you call a gray horse that has dapples but isn't a silver dapple or maybe there is no such thing???

Leslie

I don't mean to hyjack this thread but something caught my attention.

"It has recently been pointed out to me that SILVER DAPPLE is not GRAY. They are two different colors. A gray horse turns white after a while and a silver dapple can be a silver dapple all it's life."

I started a thread a few days ago about my guys color and seeing this got me wondering. He is gray with dapples and someone said his color is gray. What do you call a gray horse that has dapples but isn't a silver dapple or maybe there is no such thing???

Leslie
You are right Leslie....Gray & Silver Dapple are two completely different "colors". Altho "gray" is technically not a color...it is a "modifier" that causes base colors to fade out. Altho, people use "Gray" to describe horses that carry the gray gene, so as to properly identify them as a horse who will gradually fade to white.

To answer your question, a gray horse with dapples that is NOT a Silver Dapple, would be a "Gray" (they are born a base color & gradually fade out)

Do you know what color your boy started out as? Do you know for sure he's not a Silver Dapple? What color are his parents?

Thank you Lyn; that is very interesting information. And if he was black as a foal and looked dapple gray as a yearling, isn't it likely that he was really black? If he had been silver dapple, wouldn't he have been more gray as a yearling instead of looking "dapple gray"? Dapple gray as a yearling sounds like what I would expect from the normal graying process for a black horse. (See what I am learning on this forum!).
Yes...if he was black as a foal, he would technically be a black horse who also carried the gray gene & "grayed out". But he would be considered a "gray" on his registration papers as an adult. Since I had never seen his foal pictures, and the yearling photos I saw of him looked so much like a Silver Dapple.....I assumed that's what he was originally, and then went white from the gray gene. But now that I think about it....horses that carry both Silver & Gray genes are considered "Silver Whites" and usually go completely white very rapidly, or are born almost white. So, if he had originally been a Silver Dapple & also had the gray gene...he would have been white by the time he was a yearling. :eek: Sure wasn't thinking on that one!

Just goes to show you how a graying horse (at certain stages) can mimmick Silver Dapple very well.
default_yes.gif
:

Last edited by a moderator:
A true grey horse that has dappling is correctly called a dappled grey. Since silvers often ( but NOT always- and, some will 'start' without and then develop it as they age-or, even have it in one season and not in another, to further complicate proper description! )have dappling-often large, 'star-shaped' dapples- it seems that the term for silver came to be called 'silver dapple '-which in my opinion is a misnomer, and therefore, can be misleading-IMO, a silver WITH DAPPLING should NOT properly be described as a 'dappled grey', but, as a 'dappled silver'-not a 'silver dapple'. I will be the first to say that I have NOT studied this subject in great depth, but through years of experience and viewing of horse colors, but I personally believe that a silver is a silver--there are shades and tones, but those are only variations on the basic 'theme' of silver. Now, it does appear that silver can sometimes be present as a "modifier" to other color genes; thus, you get color descriptions such as silver buckskin, etc. This does not change the fact that DAPPLING can occur in many coat colors; it is not exclusive to either true grey OR to silver. It is more than anything, that the terminology that has been in common use is misleading. A very basic genetic difference is that true grey does not skip a generation; that is, a true grey HAS to have at least one true grey parent; the gene for true grey does not 'hide'--if a horse has even one copy, it will be 'seen' in the phenotype(outward appearance)of that horse. The same is not true of the entirely different gene for silver.

Margo

Dona,

All of my colt info (sire and dams color) is in the thread titled "color test question" it's on the second page of the forum.

Leslie

Latest posts

Back