Fun thread to pass the time on Cold Days

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a really neat thread to read!

I took my vet tech/animal siences with a major in Equine tech out of high school.

Could not find any work where we lived.

Then, for something to do when my son went to school, I went back to school and became a RPN,

Registered Practiacl Nurse, and I now work in a local hospital.

Plus play on the farm with the horse's and alpaca's on my days off!!!
default_smile.png

I am currently a Freshamn in High School, so no "real" job, but I am looking
default_wacko.png
default_laugh.png

Part time, I work as an Amateur Natural Light Photographer and I am also registered for CPR, First Aid and Babysitting through the Red Cross.

As a future college student, I hope to go to school Majoring in Vetrinary (Mainly Farm) and also possibly have a degree in Physical Therapy. This is because, after being a vet; I would like to open my own breeding facilities and run that while providing Hippo Therapy.
default_laugh.png
Big goals.

I work for medical supply company. We build heart transplant machines. I do the paperwork required by FDA and ISO.

My hubby drives those big luxury buses for people with deep pockets.

I'm a vet tech, I worked in private practice for 14 years and decided on a change and now work for a research company.

I am mostly a stay -at -home Mom to all my 4 legged "babies". always have been a stay at home Mom, but I have always taken care of all the farm animals, and we have always lived off of only one income. But, for 3 1/2 months out of the year, I am manager at a 1,600 acre "Fall Produce" Farm, which ships produce all over the US, the store offers everything "fall", along with hot ciders of every kind, pumpkins, gourds, etc..that runs from Mid August to Nov 1..then this year, after the produce was done.. we opened a Christmas Shop,with trees, wreaths,garlands, and speciality gifts, that was open from Nov 10 to Dec 20. That would be my only paid job! I do numerous volunteer jobs.(only wish some of these would pay!!) .. I also "teach" stamping/scrapbooking/card making classes once a week, and at times other crafts, in winter thru early spring. We have always been "farmers", and have always had horses, at one time dairy and beef cows..now just beefers, along with about 25 dwarf goats which my DIL has, besides farming..my hubby has been employed at the same company for 38 years as a welder. Our son now does most of the farming, with my hubby helping him out. I am tossing around the idea of opening a stamping/scrapbooking shop of my own, but with the economy the way it is..I am not so sure about it, so that is still just in the "thinking" stage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our family owns a trucking company here in North Western Ohio, we pull for Whirlpool (The largest whirlpool Branch in the United States, if you have a whirlpool washer or appliance its very likely that it was at one time on one of our trucks). My dad retired from it all, but my brothers drive & manage. We have about 15 personally owned trucks, but 3 of our drivers own their own truck..we for the most part have 15-18 trucks on the road at all times.

I work 24/7 basically..best part i can work from home..in the car...at the barn! I do dispatch, so my cell phone never stops ringing
default_wacko.png
. Whirlpool calls me and i get one of our drivers in the truck with directions and location trailer #'s ext. Im just the middle person who gets the driver in the truck and on the job. Then i also do paperwork (invoices, billing...backpay ext) 1x a week over at the office.

After high school when i graduated in 2007, i went to work for my brothers...did the above until around September of this year then had some personal issues with it and was a part time manager at Walmart up until recently...two monkeys & a baboon could run that store better then the management they had there now
default_wacko.png
. Just wanted to give that a try...was offered a management position and jumped on that, but found out that was just not for me, so i am now back HAPPILY working for my brothers agian and i am here to stay as i can work around this and college.

I am just about to start med school too, working for my brothers is something that i can do at the same time while doing med school which is really nice. I have my first classes online starting Monday. I would like a career in the medical field (planning to get my RN)...i really do like the job i have now for my brothers, it totally works for me and i am SO lucky to have gotten that straight out of high school as i know others in our area would die for the job i got straight out of school..and the management job i had with just a high school degree, but i want something in the medical field.

I have a few horses in for training at the moment too, which i do because i enjoy it..not at all trying to make any money..if i was trying to make money i would not be charging what i am charging. I have allot of free time, even with all of the above, and i enjoy helping others and filling in that extra time
default_smile.png
. Its just something i do just because i love it, money has nothing to do with it.

Well my longest job is as barn help/manager. Been doing that at a private dressage barn for ohhh, 13 years next month
default_new_shocked.gif
Though we only have 3 horses now (the owners 2 and my guy) it is much more peaceful without boarders coming and going!

And I am also a certified 'Saddler', though I don't make saddles now. I started my own business in 2002, and I do pretty much anything and everything leather, English riding equipment, repair English (and the odd Western) saddles, dog stuff, etc, etc.

Then I do a bit of house sitting, dog boarding, dog grooming on the side for a bit of extra cash.

~kathryn

Fun to read what everyone else does for a living....

I am a Chemist for a pharmaceutical company. I test liquid injectables before they are sent out to pharmacies and hospitals, etc. to make sure that they are safe for the patients that receive them.

My husband is a Rural Operator for the County. He is always busy- he is also a diesel mechanic, he welds, he farms, and has cattle...

That pretty much sums up our jobs I think..

I'm a Senior Beauty Advisor for a well known pharmacy chain.

Hubby is retired. We used to run a hauling business for miniatures so we have been to many of your farms and miss seeing our friends alot.

I work at the corporate office of a high end department store. I work with customers who can't pay their bill, file probate claims, and do bankruptcy stuff. I love the company I work for but I plan on going back to school once I figure out what I want to do.

I am an office manager........husband is a Heavy Diesel Mechanic and works on the North Slope in Alaska (Prudhoe Bay) way up by the Arctic Ocean.

Brrrrrr :Cold-Scared

My husband and I own a catering/event planning company here in S.Fl. We have a great group of people that really help us to look great for our clients ( mostly corporate events ) I do no cooking...cant boil H20....Hubby and our executive chef takes care of all the food and I design menus and food buffets and basically just make everything look pretty. The client tells me how they invision their event and its up to me and my team to design menu, entertainment, location, transportation or any other wacky thing they can think of!! Its really fun but also very stressful when we have several events going on in one day and the client thinks that THEIR event is the most important!!

This is a fun thread...thanks for starting it!!

I am a professional dog groomer, working on taking clients as a dog trainer and seriously thinking about trying to get through to vet school.

I am a Machinist at a major glass making factory. Yes, it's typically a man's job, but I really enjoy doing it. We fabricate parts for the machines out of metal. My husband is a firefighter.

I am a facility manager for the federal gov. I currently work with 2 veterinarians. I have worked for the feds for 30 yrs. During my career I have worked with over 20 vets in private practice and for the government. I look forward to retiring in the next couple years.

My husband is a structural engineer. His most prized work was rebuilding the Pentagon after the attack in 2001. During the 11 months working on the Pentagon he worked 20 hours a day only taking enough time to come home and bathe and change clothes. He recieved a plaque with a piece of the plane on it and several awards for finishing the job before the 1st anniversary of the attack.

Live on a small farm and am a Housewife and Artist.

Latest painting I am working on.

sleepingmia6.jpg

DH is an Engineer.

I am a retail store manager for a huge retail chain.

I have been some type of retail executive most of my career.I have a teaching degree but ended up in retail. Yuck.

I do volunteer work as a pet loss counselor and am writing a book about my pet goat.I have 22 chapters done and have been working on it for nearly 2 years.

My husband works with computers and honestly I am clueless what he really does. lol

I would love to just stay home and play with my horses.

It's very interesting hearing what everyone does for a living.

I am a manager of a consignment tack store. Love working there, the only drawback is I see too many things I want and it's hard not to spend my paycheck in there. I was also a volunteer for a therapeutic riding centre but recently had to stop as I couldn't make my schedule fit their lesson times. I am hoping to get back there soon. I miss it.

My hubby is an operations manager for a large public waste removal company. Lots of hours for him.

I am a stay at home mom, PCA for my dad, and I clean stall for my riding instructor 3 days a week, plus am a barn manager for the barn I'm at now which is a differant abrn than my instructor's. I seem to not have alot of time even though most of my jobs are part time.

christy

Back