Fun thread to pass the time on Cold Days

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marnie

Reaction score
I love the thread with everyones pictures, how about this.

Let's tell what we do for a living and our spouse's too if you'd like.

I'll start. I've done production work all my life, my hands work better than my mind. I stayed home for 10 yrs to help farm too. I got laid off Aug 8th so going into business for myself now. We're building a little barn just for a petting zoo, I'm going to have a farm/traveling petting zoo/party type business, working on the details and the website, it'll all take time but hoping to be up and running by June. I think that's why I'm so anxious this yr for winter to get done, so I can get on with it all. I am going to start taking some computer classes starting Jan 24th, even though I'm 59, I may have to go back to work some day too.

I married Nate, a farmer, 14 yrs ago so I guess, my husband was, is and always will be a farmer. It seems it gets in the blood and doesn't let go, kinda like horses.

So what do you do for a living or to support your "horsey" habit?

Here's a picture of the shirts we had made for our petting zoo, it'll be Barney's Barnyard, our little donkey Barney will be our Mascot.

shirt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a food microbiologist. I test food for bacteria that can cause food poisoning. Its a good job, but since we're a small company, I don't make a ton. But I do plan on taking over the business in a few years. Hubby is a wildlife officer. He likes carrying a gun to work.
default_laugh.png
No, I think he likes working outside and out of his truck.

My husband and I both are Air Traffic Controllers for the federal govt. We work at two different airports about 80 miles apart. We've been doing this for over 10 years. We both love what we do, but the agency is so screwed up right now and management is awful. We have to do a lot of shift work...work 3 nights and 2 days within the week and can never get holidays off.

Our days off fall during the middle of the week, but we actually like that. We both have the same days off and pretty much the same schedule. I like having during the week off because whenever we do something, boating, fishing, hunting, run errands we are the only ones out..not crowded, I love that.

For my first ten years out of college I was a state police dispatcher, I then moved on to a local police department as the Administrative Assistant to the Police Chief, I have done that for 12 yrs. My husband was a State Police Sergeant for the commercial vehicle divison he is now retired.

Julie Flanigan

Victory Pass Stable

Cumberland Maine

Well i'm not married (lol!) but i'll jump in on this game...

Right now i work at a barn doing barn work. After HS i plan on going to collage for Graphic Design so i can be a freelance Graphic Designer. I also want to train/deal pleasure horses in my spare time.

I love reading these threads and hearing about all the different things the members do for a living!

I'm a financial planner / money manager. My father and I are long-time business partners and own a practice together (since 1995). We have an office in Warrenton, VA and some wonderful administrative employees who help us do a good job for our clients. I'm registered / licensed as an investment advisor (and operate my own IA firm), and as a stock broker and registered principal. I'm also licensed for life and health insurance in my state and several others. I love my profession!!!

Prior to what I do now, I was a mortgage loan officer for "the" local bank. I like what I do now much better
default_smile.png

well i was a stay at home mother till my son went to school. i told my husband that i wanted to go back to work done that but they did not like it when i told them that i need a weekend off to go to a horse show. the first time i asked off. you would of thought that i killed somebody the way they acted. but in all i like it at home. you can never tell what will happen.

At present I just stay home, look after the animals and am on call 24/7 for my special needs daughter wherever she is at the time (school, lifeskills etc) but I have done Teachers Assistant (TAs work with handicapped students in our 'inclusive' school system) and supervisory work at area schools. My husband is a heavy duty equipment partsman . We ran our own business (actually 2 of them concurrently which was exhausting) for 15 years but sold out 7 years ago so we could have a bit more holiday time. When you work for yourself the boss is always watching and NEVER wants you to take time off. lol. We are much happier now and I have the time to pursue a few of my interests, horses, gardening and writing.
default_wink.png

I am the office "token old guy". Just sit over there, don't touch any thing and we'll ask you if we need anything.
default_wink.png

Actually I'm starting my 20th year with the company; my 47th year in (data processing, information systems, information technology, etc.). I was a real mainframe tekkie in my day. These kids I work with are way past my knowledge base now but I know a lot more than I want them to know I know so I just keep quiet and do my menial task of maintaining the records and billing on all our data circuits. Keep the carrier vendors in line. They put me in an office way out in the boonies (but 20 min from the house) that is manned by only 2-3 people. Some days I'm the only one here.
default_smile.png
They don't bother me and I don't bother them.

I have all the modern office equipment and a full blown PC with dual monitors and a very very high speed internet connection.

My time is flexible and no one checks on me. In any case I have a Blackberry so I get work emails and phone calls, anywhere, any time. I have 4 weeks of vacation and I get every other Friday off. Plus 8 holidays and 24 floating hours that I can take anytime.

For this they pay me very well.

Retire, you gotta be kidding.
default_smile.png
default_smile.png
default_smile.png

I am a stay at home mom,I clean a few houses and take care of peoples animals while they're gone. One barn work for does therapy for kids,she's hoping to use me as a barn manager in a couple years. They just built an indoor riding facility and they just started recieving court appointed children. One lady i'v fed for takes in deer,racoons, squirrels, a little bit of everything, the vets office refer people to her.It's a nice job to do with kids,they can go along
default_rolleyes.gif
. My husband is a foreman and just purchused his first horse,I think i'm rubbing off on him
default_laugh.png

Neat thread---

I own my own Graphic Design business and love it... prior to Brooker Graphics I owned Brooker's Tack Shop (thats where the GOTTACK came from). Just moved to NC near Raleigh and I would also like to find part time work with horses. As prior to moving, I owned Neva Forget Ya Stables for 20 plus years and really miss it. There were bets going on as to how long I would be able to go without owning a horse- it lasted 2 months and I purchased my 2 minis. I believe I would have goon bonkers if I had not got them!!!

Lisa

I'm a freelance copywriter. Someday I hope to do more creatively gratifying work, but in the meantime I enjoy my flexible schedule, pajama uniform and learning about different clients' businesses. I do occasionally help out at the family business (air freight), and there's a rumor going around that someday I'll take it over, but I'm pretty sure that's just a rumor.
default_wink.png
Mo is an automotive technician (that's what they call mechanics these days).

Just retired after 32 years with a major chemical company. Started as co-op, and ended up as Customer Service Rep. I LOVE being retired! Especially with all the stuff going on with my old company. They were doing a major joint venture and the other "foreign" partner backed out.

Hubby is General Supervisor for the city. In charge of everything having to do with streets, etc. He's retiring in August. Not sure I'm going to love THAT! Having him around all day every day
default_new_shocked.gif
But we'll work it out. Only been married 31 years, so we're still learning.

We also farmed for most of our marriage - horses (of course!) cows, pigs, sheep, goats, chickens, turkeys, ducks - I think that's it! Just have the minis and pigeons now.

I have been a hairstylist with my own salon for the last 16 years...Now i live in switzerland with my new husband and i help him run his hotel. I work in the kitchen along with him when i am needed, our hotel is also a restraunt. When I am not in the kitchen I am managing and training our young staff in service , housekeeping ,and with the reception ...all this in another language
default_wacko.png
its mind boggeling some days, but i enjoy the challenge. you can see ous at www.hotelkistenpass.com

great thread.
default_saludando.gif

Im not married but I own my dog grooming spa and boutique so in a way I feel like Im married to that building!

Bonus is Im never without a clipper for my minis!

I'm a college professor, I teach Accounting at a state university. I love my job...where else can you talk about something you like, the students have to listen and then get paid for it! My husband is also a professor, he teaches Marketing and some other business courses.

This is a neat thread.

My family is in the newspaper business. We own a couple of daily papers and one weekly. It's fun and exciting and changes everyday.

I live with my boyfriend and do all of the housework and take care of the horses and dogs and am going to try to make it in the training world but right now I just train and show my own but am trying to find clients that will let me show for them but its a lot harder than I thought especially with the economy how it is but my boyfriend hauls cattle and hogs for people, buys salvage vehicles and fixes and sells them, and he hauls scrap metal.

I'm a full time social worker and then I also do direct care for people with disabilities part-time. I also spend a LOT of time volunteering for our local shelter (www.wesavepets.com), not quite a "job", but I put in a lot of hours there each week!

Hubby is a robotic welder at a factory.

Latest posts

Back