Fun thread to pass the time on Cold Days

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, for 29 years now I have worked as a professional equine events announcer (surprise, surprise
default_laugh.png
). I actually worked for The Boeing Company when I got tricked into doing my first show. Sharon has been an AR/AP person before and now between shows and in the winter months we work as on site apartment managers. Sharon of course also is a ASPC/AMHR/ASPR Show Steward and works s a ringmaster or gate/paddock managers at shows as well.

Mark & Sharon Bullington

Hubby and I are both retired now.

My last job was building airplanes for McDonald Douglas and before that I installed the hydraulic system for the main landing gears in the B-1-B bomber. I worked in/owned a bakery for about 12 years started there while I was in high school.

Steve was a butcher and he was the supervisor of a poultry processing plant. He still butchers for something to do occasionally.

I am a Christian school teacher. This is my seventh year teaching since I graduated from Bible college. I taught for four years in Idaho at a tiny Christian school before God moved me down here to California. I now am in my third year of teaching second and third grades here. I had eleven students my first year, eight last year, and eight again this year. It is a bit challenging having the two grades even with just a few students, but I love spending time with the kids, getting to know them, and helping them along in their education and lives.

Another dog groomer here.

After working as a purchasing agent for almost 20 years I was looking for something more creative and less stressful.

After I completed my grooming course, I opened a small salon in my home.

My hubby is a full time autobody paint technician and our at-home general handyman.

I work in Corporate Communications (Public/Media Relations) for a well known company.

Liz R.

I am the GM for a large non-profit arts organization. We produce 10-12 shows each year, 8-10 concerts and tour throughout the SE. Our education program is close to my heart, we offer dance, theater, voice for all ages and have a program for special needs kids and adults. It is hectic and stressful, but I meet a lot of wonderful people and my job is NEVER boring! :)

If you are in TN come see us! www.ccplayhouse.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I work for a small Family run photography studio. I have worked there since my high school co-op there (almost 2 years now).

My job title is "digital imaging assistant" but in truth i do everything around that place but take photos and do pay roll. I love my job, and the people i work with.

My boyfriend who i live with gets paid to go to school. He is taking his masters in computer science. He also works as a TA in the schools computer science department.

I work for a cattle genetics lab.. 12 hour days, 3-4 days a week, makes for long work weeks, but pays good and gives me 3-4 days off to work with the horses
default_smile.png

This was a neat thread! I'm amazed (and JEALOUS!) at how many are able to afford to live off of one income or one income plus a little part-time if they are in a relationship! What's your secret?
default_smile.png
I mean, we could totally do it - if we didn't "HAVE" to live on an acerage, have lots of critters, own a truck/trailer, etc
default_rolleyes.gif
. All my passions, though - wouldn't want to be wthout them!!

What's your secret?
default_smile.png
In my case the only secret was necessity. When our daughter was born we still believed I would go back to work full time once the kids were in school. But... life had other plans for me.

I think anyone can manage on one income but there are sacrifices that must be made.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been an RN for.....yikes! 29 years!! The majority of it has been as an ER nurse! My husband used to work in a mill and when it closed went back to school and became......an RN!! Now we both work in our local ER.
default_smile.png
It's kind of fun being around a "newbie" and seeing his reaction to things.

I work 35-40 hrs a week as a nanny, I've been a professional nanny for 8 years now, and let me tell you it's not an easy job! But I love "my" kids, and they enjoy visiting with the Mini horses, so it works out well. I've been with this current family for 2 years now, they have a 9 year old, 6 year old & a 2 year old.

What's your secret?
default_smile.png
In my case the only secret was necessity. When our daughter was born we still believed I would go back to work full time once the kids were in school. But... life had other plans for me.

I think anyone can manage on one income but there are sacrifices that must be made.

Totally understand, I work daily with families/individuals with disabilties. Life changing for those families, to say the least. In regards to sacrifice, like I said, if I gave up living on an acerage and all of my animals, we could also afford to live off of one income. But I could never ask my husband to support all of us, and wouldn't think of it, as it's much more my passion than his.

Well, right now I work as an 'instructional aide', in quotation marks. Most instructional aides work alongside a teacher, aiding them, hence the name. I work in an after school program, and I teach two classes of roughly 20 students each-a 3rd grade class, and an animal science class that has 1st-6th grade students. So I teach...I'm just not a teacher!

I'm actually planning to find myself a good technical school this year and study massage therapy. My end goal would be to have my own business, working on humans and maybe some canine/equine massage, too.

Not married, but boyfriend used to do glasswork, economy tanked and he currently works retail. He'll be going into the Army soonish, though, to be a satellite systems technician, or something along those lines.

What a neat thread. I'm retired now. I was a RN for 10 years but the stress got to me and I buckled. Before that I was a Travel Agent for 10 years, I hated it people constantly complaining and hearing all day long, "I want the cheapest flight." NO KIDDING don't we all. Anyway, I bailed out of that and then got into something EVEN more stressful, the nursing. I loved it cause I was a pediatric nurse but the politics I couldn't take, so I switched to working for a blood bank and the constant traveling and again the politics got to me. I just wasn't cut out to be a nurse. I was to nice. So now I stay at home with my dogs and horses and my husband is a retired Marine. We do pretty good together, and don't drive each other toooo crazy. I don't miss working at all. TJ

Pretty neat to see the range of jobs that everyone (and their SOs) hold.

For me, full time (over time?) vet school student. I also feed and muck in exchange for living where I do, and having a horse with me. Works out pretty well for both parties....probably 8-10 hours a week for no rent. Lastly, I am involved in a fair number of clubs/student jobs that eat up any free time I have.

And of course, I am paying to do this. :D

But it will be worth it, eventually.

Very interesting to find out what everyone does for a living!

I am a store support manager for a retail chain. I travel from store to store doing everything from stocking merchandise to actually running the stores on a temporary basis if there is no manager in place. I love my job, I am off on weekends when I take care of my parents and play with the horses.

I am sometimes out for the entire week and it is a lot of hours per week but it is never boring. I travel 3 states going from store to store, very seldom in one store more than one day. I also do loss prevention checks and education for employees and managers.

My favorite thing in my job is teaching the managers and associates how to catch shoplifters. I think I like this part of it because I hate a thief and love to catch them. Even at my age, I can still run down a shoplifter on occasion.

We owned both a bakery and a restaurant for several years and I have also been a loss prevention manager for a large corporation.

My hubby stays home and takes care of the animals and the house. He supports me in everything I do. Even though he is disabled and sometimes it is really hard for him to take care of the animals, he loves them just as much as I do and spoils them a lot worse than I do.

I just saw this - neat thread.

I "work from home" as a consultant doing data analysis on my computer for a select few out-of-state clients. It is the best job in the world and supports my addiction (the minis). I worked for the state of CT (GREAT benefits) for 34 years ,and retired 5 years ago. I worked in lab research (my first job was designing tests to make sure the moon rocks were safe when the astronauts returned from the first moon landing in 1969) and then as an epidemiologist for the state department of public health.

My hubby is in IT at a small insurance company and I never know exactly what he does.

This is a good thread.

I work as a research biologist. We test pharmacutical drugs to determain if they are toxic or what their toxic levels are and also test if they are cancerous or not. Ive been there for only a little over a yr but there is alot to learn and interesting. It can be hard to do some of the things we do but it is nice to know that we are doing it to help people and animals.

Alisha

I wored as a paramedic for 15 yrs and my husband said after being married for 19 yrs he wanted me to stay home and do nothing.........so June 2007 I became a full time housewife.......I enjoy being at home but can get pretty lonely sometimes when you were use to all the human interaction. Now I spend days on the internet, with my horses, dogs, cats, chickens and my husband just did some trading and got me 10 more Rhode Island Red hens and a grown turkey (never had one of them before)........and I love it he gobbles when I speak to him its great.............and I have tons of fresh brown eggs...........lol

My husband is a Maintenance Lead Man for a carpet distribution center. He has worked there for the last 20 yrs........WOW............lol

Latest posts

Back