Frosty

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SHANA

Reaction score
Well Frosty passed away today. I am sending her body for a necropsy to see why she died. I e-mailed the lady I was going to trade with and told her saying I was doing a necropsy to see what this filly died off and if not contagious then we would go through with the trade. I thought this more then fair. Anyway she refuses to trade saying her boarders have threatened to move their horses elsewhere. They said this before the lady knew the filly had died. I thought with a necropsy that would put this ladys' mind at ease as well as those of her clients and boarders. My friend, Robert, says that e-mails are legally binding. He is a lawyer. I am so upset and mad. What would you do as I thought I was being more than fair.

I don't know about the trade situation, but I wanted to say how sorry I am for your loss... you worked so hard to save that little filly. Our thoughts and prayers are with you....

Chris

So sorry to hear of your loss of Frosty
default_sad.png

I hope you find the answers you need and get the trade deal worked out.

If it is meant to be then it will happen..

I am so sorry about Frosty...I have been following your posts on her, and after last night when her poo was better I thought she was going to be ok...As for the trade, I am of no help there. I have only had horses come back to me because it did not work out for the buyers, or the buyers did not do what they were supposed to do, so I gave them their $$$$ back and went and got the horse. We hope that you can get some answers from the necropsy....
default_wub.png
{{{{HUGS}}}} Theresa

ETA.... I would deal with the loss of Frosty FIRST, then deal with the trade situation. Right now you are raw and might say/do things that you normally would'nt. (I know that when I lose a horse or foal I don't think right. I am down right upset and mad and don't say/do the right things). Give yourself a few days to asorb/sort out what has happened. Then go from there....

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know all the details, but I have a filly that is just recovering from a very serious illness, and I won't set foot on any of my horse friends farms until she is completely well for at least 2 weeks. I won't jeopardize their herds even though the vets felt she is no longer contagious. I also won't move any of my other horses for at least 2 weeks in case one of them is developing something.

The necropsy may or may not tell what was wrong with your filly. I sympathize with your loss, but I can also understand the other lady's concern.

I am sorry to hear about Frosty, but I sympathize with the other half of the trade in ths matter. There were so many ideas about what might be wrong put out here by you from your vet that it would really worry me, too.

I AM REALLY SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR FILLY
default_sad.png

AS FOR THE TRADE, IF I WHERE IN THE SAME POSTITION AS THE WOMAN TRADING WITH YOU I THINK I WOULD DO THE SAME THING. I HAVE 10 HORSES HERE AND I WOULD NOT RISK THE CHANCE OF SOMETHING HAPPENING OR CAUSING MYSELF ANY VET BILLS IF I COULD HELP IT. I DO NOT HAVE 100% FAITH IN NERCROPSIES AS I KNOW OF PEOPLE WHO HAVE HAD HORSES DIE AND NOTHING WAS EVERY FOUND. PUT YOURSELF IN THIS WOMANS SHOES, I COULD NOT LOOK OUT IN MY PASTURE AT ALL THOSE LITTLE FACE AND TAKE THAT CHANCE.

I am so sorry for the loss of your horse.

What happened?? I know your post last night said she was doing great?? But this just demonstrates that the smart thing to do was end the trade that was going to happen. Especially since you thought she was fine now and she wasnt. Necropsy so many times dont show what happened or at least that has been the case with us. Honestly if I was you I would just end the whole thing with the trade and let it go. I know if it was me and now the horse in question died suddenly I would no way bring in a new horse from your farm right now. Nothing personal but its just too risky.

To me it would not be worth losing a customer and a friend to pursue this legally. I think the other person had every right to back out of the trade.

Kay

I am really sorry to hear that frosty passed away.

But on a side note...i think there are some things that are better discussed in private when it comes to a sale/trade agreement....

Hon, I am so very sorry that Frosty died. As for the trade....if it were me trading with you-soon as I would've heard about the illness the trade would've been cancelled. Just let it go Hon, fighting will only make matters worse, imho.

I'm so VERY sorry for the loss of your little one, but I can empathize with the other person involved. If I remember correctly, you've had some tough losses of horses. As a buyer, that would make me nervous - NOT that any of them were your fault, I don't mean to say that. But I personally would just feel better buying from someone who's had better luck healthwise. That's a tough thing to say, and I suppose I should strap on the flame suit right now, but I'm just being honest.

Shana, please, please, please deal with the issue of Frosty. The trade should be the LAST thing on your mind. I know you are upset, but like the other poster said, dealing with the trade right now will only make things worse. And you really need to have the herd examined as a whole by a vet. (it doesn't matter where they are or if they have had contact with your other horses or not-don't speculate, just do it and put your mind at ease) If your vet is giving you shady answers, get another vet's opinion. You need to worry about your remaining horses before you worry about getting more horses.

AND...I really hate to be the bearer of bad news but if you go to court over this, the other party will win. She has every legal right to cancel the trade. Yes, there are binding contract laws, but the law will be on HER side when the judge hears that she canceled the deal in concern for her horses. The law only protects you if she backed out for no good reason. I would say she has a very good reason. And this is not to say you take horrible care of your horses, this just means that you need to figure out what is wrong. Halt everything and deal with your current horses. There will be other trades..the world is surely not short of nice minis and once you get things clean and clear again, then maybe you should look into other horses..right now, there is too much going on to worry about MORE.

Hang in there and keep your chin up.
default_saludando.gif
I am really sorry about Frosty and I tried to put this gently, so don't take it the wrong way. It's just an outsider's point of view from a person who has been there. I had trade deals with my breeding rabbits and lost my herd 3 times and lost over $2000 invested in new herds to people who's vets insisted their rabbits were not ill or the illness they had had cleared up. It was gut wrenching, a huge drawn out war and I learned a hard lesson. I got out of rabbits for this very reason. I would hate to see you or the other party end up like this.

First and foremost I am truly sorry your filly died. What a horrible situation.
default_no.gif

But Shana I have to say that here you go airing your dirty laundry on the Forum. AGAIN. This is what turned this situation into a mess to begin with. You really don't "get it." There is absolutely no way anyone would side with you in a legal situation. Save your money and take care of yourself and your other horses.

You publicly posted:

Well vet just left and some good news, she doesn't have heart failure but does have Rhodococcus Equi which is the disease I was talking about that horses that are inbred get quite often. I asked my vet to write it down so I could remember it. She has to be on 2 different pills(Erthromycin 3 times a day-not sure if spelled right and Rifampin twice a day) for 30 days. She'll also have to stay in the barn during that time as she'll be very sensative to light. He said that 70-90% of foals with this disease survive if treated properly. Now I have to go to the drug store as both drugs are human drugs and will cost about $100.
I have news for you. I would be running too (whether she actually had it or not).......and so would every other knowledgeable horse person from your deal. If you are going to post personal issues then you have to remember that it could come back and bite you in the backside......which it has. So AGAIN, the smartest thing you can do right now is LET THIS GO.

Shana, please, please, please deal with the issue of Frosty. The trade should be the LAST thing on your mind. I know you are upset, but like the other poster said, dealing with the trade right now will only make things worse. And you really need to have the herd examined as a whole by a vet. (it doesn't matter where they are or if they have had contact with your other horses or not-don't speculate, just do it and put your mind at ease) If your vet is giving you shady answers, get another vet's opinion. You need to worry about your remaining horses before you worry about getting more horses. AND...I really hate to be the bearer of bad news but if you go to court over this, the other party will win. She has every legal right to cancel the trade. Yes, there are binding contract laws, but the law will be on HER side when the judge hears that she canceled the deal in concern for her horses. The law only protects you if she backed out for no good reason. I would say she has a very good reason. And this is not to say you take horrible care of your horses, this just means that you need to figure out what is wrong. Halt everything and deal with your current horses. There will be other trades..the world is surely not short of nice minis and once you get things clean and clear again, then maybe you should look into other horses..right now, there is too much going on to worry about MORE.

Hang in there and keep your chin up.
default_saludando.gif
I am really sorry about Frosty and I tried to put this gently, so don't take it the wrong way. It's just an outsider's point of view from a person who has been there. I had trade deals with my breeding rabbits and lost my herd 3 times and lost over $2000 invested in new herds to people who's vets insisted their rabbits were not ill or the illness they had had cleared up. It was gut wrenching, a huge drawn out war and I learned a hard lesson. I got out of rabbits for this very reason. I would hate to see you or the other party end up like this.

Shana, Critter Coutry has some good advice. I "KNOW" your hurting right now and I think it best you deal w/ the hurt and focus on your horses you do have and not focus on the ones you don't have. I also do agree, if you do go to court you will loose and why do you want to risk that, just to have a "trade" is it really worth that. There's so many other miniature horses out there. I know it's hard to let go but now is the time you need to be greiving for what you have lost. PLUS, I agree you need to get another vets opinion if you don't get the right answers from your own vet. Something JUST didn't go down right w/ this and I would wonder why and question it.

Some day you may be able to patch things up with this other party, it's something that just happened, but Shana if you get nasty about it you risk alienating yourself from her and others. I don't think you want to do that, hon. It's no fun being at the wrong end of the stick, just to prove your right and in the end loose. Let it go, I've told you before so many times I've NOT and it's ended up loosing anyway, and it's not worth it. It's MUCH BETTER to conentrate on what you have now and put ALL your effort into that then it is to loose everything in the end. Right now your emotions are running high, your pregnant and that makes it worse, but when you look back at this someday you'll know it was for a reason, you know not now but someday it will come to you.

I'm so sorry Frosty died, I know you loved her, take time to cry for her and moarn her loss Shana. My heart just breaks for you. Hugs, TJ

Shana, I am so sorry for the loss of your little one. We all know you cared about her and did some great nursing care!

As for the trade, I feel the same as the others. Just let it go, sometimes things are just not meant to be.

Shana,

I'm so, so sorry about Frosty. I was hopeful after yesterday's post as others were. I'm sure this was a total shock to you and I know you're very emotional right now...as anyone would be. Take care of yourself and the rest of your horses. I hope little Frosty is at peace now.

I am very sorry for your loss. However, personally I would not rehash this trade thing on the forum. If you feel the emails are binding then take it to court. The thing with taking it to court is that you are going to make a whole bunch of enemies in her and her boarders. Also, If she doesn't want your horses at her farm she may just take them to a sale. Is that what you would want for the horses you have raised? I am not saying she would do that but, it is an opption to solve her end of the deal she does not want. If I were you I would just chock this up to experiance and move forward. Just my oppinion and I am not trying to be mean. Just a friend.
default_smile.png

So so sorry for your loss of Frosty.
default_no.gif

Shana I do not know you, except for a forum member, just would like to say.

Please look after yourself and that precious baby you are carrying.

Would love to know if it is a boy or girl.

The old saying is: do you want to be right or happy.

The loss of a foal for any reason is hard to take, and you have done all you can.

Take care and I wish you Happiness, and God Bless
default_pray.gif
This too will pass

I am so sorry about the loss of your Frosty
default_no.gif
Take care of yourself. Let everything else go for now. Some peaceful words from you to the other party and some sympathetic words from her to you will go a long way towards a good relationship in the future. Let yourself grieve, and then get back to looking forward to your baby!

Barb

I'm so sorry that you lost the battle for Frosty's life.
default_no.gif
I know you did everything you could. You've gotten some good advice with the replies......I know it's not what you wanted to hear, but please just let the trade go and grieve for your filly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back