Front Loading Washing machines

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ

Reaction score
Hi, my washing machine is nearing it's last leg(very old Matag). I am considering new and used models right now but would like some imput from those who own front load washers. They sure seem to vary in price and wondering if they are worth the extra money or not over a regular top load washer.

Recently, I discovered the electric company is offering rebates on new qualifying energy efficent models(ENERGY STAR RATING) of front loading washing machines. My understanding is front loaders are better at cleaning clothes and extracting water out of them in the spin cycle. Thus, taking less time to dry in the dryer.

If you own a front loading machine, can you tell me if you like it and the brand? Any major troubles with the machine/defects etc.

Thanks for any help!

I have had one for about five years now and it definitely gets my clothes cleaner. Mine is a fridgidaire that I got at Best Buy. Holds more laundry too. It has a tumble cycle after washing that fluffs up the clothes so they are not stuck to the basin when you open the door. This helps them dry faster. The spin cycle is sooooo much faster too. If you get a new washer, don't go back to the top loaders.

Nancy

I have an old, now, Maytag Neptune. Bought it in 1999 and it's a winner

as far as I'm concerned. It went thru the flood in 2006 and kept on ticking.

Maytag has since gone to other model names. Epic came after the Neptune

and there is a new one out now.

They are very water efficient as they electronically determine how much water

is needed each load. Then dry quickly with little wrinkling.

Front loader often have a mildew/mold issue from water remaining in the door seal.

I prop my door open between loads to avoid that problem.

My minor irritation with them is really minor.......but you know how you say

drop a sock and it doesn't make it into the load and the machine has already

started it process.....it seems like it takes forever to stop that load so you

can add the dropped item.

Consumer Reports recommends staying away from the Steam models as unnecessary

for most people.

Their current Best Buy Choice, at about $650, is the Fridgidaire Gallery. There are of

course other brands at many more dollars like the LG's and Miele.

Russ

I have had my Kenmore (Sears) front loader for over 5 years now. I have never had a problem with it and yes it does appear to get clothes cleaner, uses less detergent, spins out drier, and much larger loads. I couldn't imagine ever going back to a top loader.

Arlene

We've had our Kenmore front-loader for a couple of years now, and I like it a lot. It uses a lot less water and detergent, gets the clothes really clean and spins them out well. I do occasionally run towels and other heavy items through a second cycle, or an extra rinse, to be sure all the soap has been removed, since we all have sensitive skin here.

The front loaders do tend to get that funky smell after a while, which I've pretty much resolved by periodically washing with hot water and borax, bleach, or a little citric acid added to the wash cycle.

I wouldn't go back to the old top-loader style...

Well I've never had a front loader, but up until last year I had a washer & dryer set of 1974 Maytags operating here in the house. They still were working when I replaced them!

It's funny because they were the same models as shown in the basement of That 70's Show where the kids hung out!
default_smile.png

Hi Russ!

We have a Kenmore front loader washer and dryer, on pedestals...not the drawers...just thee riser pedastals. I LOVE the them....but we've had some balancing issues with the washer. They say they wont go off balance like a top loader...but these things are so powerful when they wring out and are not balanced...sounds like a small aircraft taking off in the laundry room. My trophiy samples chatter on the shelves in my little studio downstairs! LOL The Sears repairman replaced the drum few months after we got it...was still under its 1yr warranty. He recommended getting and keeping the extended warranty on both the washer and dryer because repairs and parts are so expensive on them. So we did and it was GREAT advice. They are going on 4yrs old now and called them out on balancing it again...tech said the pump was going on it...so he ordered it in...replaced it and balanced it again.

He mentioned putting weights in the pedastal to help secure the whole thing. Said he's seen people put 4 heavy sandbags in the base or pedestal and it worked out good for the.

I LOVE how good they are to use, how much you can wash, good cleaning, dries excellent...really like them....but think we'll keep the extended warranty on them just for $$ safety sake.

I have the Whirlpool Duet front load washer and gas dryer. I love them. Way efficient. As someone else said, the only issue with the washer is it can get a mildew smell if you don't leave the front door open between washes.

I have the Maytag Neptune washer and dryer. I picked them because they appeared to be smaller and more traditional looking. Now, I have to laugh as who really cares what a washer or dryer looks like!
default_rolleyes.gif
Anyways, I do like it and it does get our clothes really clean but there is something to this mildew smell someone else mentioned. I don't have to leave mine opened on a daily basis but if we go out of town for a day or two then yes. It does have a great feature that I can't live without. I put a load in at night and set the timer to have it start at 5:00 AM so when I wake up its done and ready to be thrown in the dryer.

I don't have a front loader but wanted to add my input...I have a Kenmore 80 and I must say that washer has endured so much abuse over the years when it finally dies I will get another as close to it as it comes. I've had it over 15 years and like I said I have abused it beyond belief...I always overload and put things in there that probably shouldn't go in there and it keeps on ticking...it is an inexpensive machine, probably not efficient when it comes to water consumption and electricity but definately "tough".

We bought a Whirlpool Duet washer and electric dryer with the stands, early last year. Used "Consumer Reports" to find which one to buy. Really like them a lot and it allows me to do some laundry, where it was impossible with the standard machines.

As for the mildew smell when the door is left open... I got that with every single machine I had and all those were the standard type, if I left the door open. In the direction of the new front load machine, it does say to run it in clean mode once a month.

Would recommend this model of front loader!

My Parents just replaced the standard washer and dryer they had since the early 70's.....but I have to tell you.. they don't make them like they used too. Even if you replace the old machines with the same model, they will not be as well build.

i recently bought a Bosch front loader. i love it, it holds a TON and my clothes are definitely cleaner. the only objection i have is that if i try to wash "just a few things", it won't spin out completely. since i'm alone, i don't have a lot of laundry, especially this time of year when i'm not sweating like a hog, so i have to keep a blanket handy to throw in so the load will spin out completely.

i know i paid WAY too much for this machine but it's the last one i will ever buy! when this one shoots craps, i'm pretty sure the nursing home will be doing my laundry.
default_wink.png

I hate hate HATE my Maytag Neptune!!! I have to run bleach through every week to keep the mildew smell at bay and it goes off balance if you breathe on it wrong!!! I want my Kenmore back!!! My hubby manages a Sears store, so he got us a super deal on our set, but I wish we had waited for the Kenmore set. He gets feedback all the time and we both just wish we would have waited. Now the Neptune dryer...I have to admit to loving it.

I just bought a GE set of front loads. So far I like them. I have found that hair and water will collect in the seal, so I take a towel and wipe that out between loads. No mildew smell so far. I love the dryer - it can dry clothes so quick!!

The GE has a bigger door than the Bosch, which was one of the reasons why I chose them.

I have them sitting on the floor so hopefully won't have any balance issues.

Thank You everyone for sharing your experiences with your washers.I'm on the search/compairing features and bargain hunting. Some pretty good deals out there right now.

There are ALOT of front loader washer choices out there!
default_new_shocked.gif
Durn that Kelly Rippa and her Electrolux commercial....LOL

She makes laundry look like fun!

Do any of you have lint screens on your newer front loaders?

I find it odd that on quite of few of the new washers they don't have a lint screen to catch thread, lint, hay from the barn jacket
default_laugh.png

The old agitator top load washers had one but now these new ones they tell me the lint goes down the drain. Weird!

Maybe it's not a worry but I just don't want a blocked drain line.

I've never seen a lint screen on a washer. I've had probably 6-8 different machines over the last 30 years.

I hate to break it to you, but having a front load machine does NOT make it any more fun to do laundry.
default_no.gif

I'm probably not saying it right. On my 15 year old Maytag with center agitator.....it has a pop off top on the actual agitator that catches any string/lint etc from the wash water cycle.

BTW....Ruffian...which GE washer did you get and is the spin cycle quiet?

I am on my second set of front load washer and dryers. I didn't get the extended warranty on the 1st set. I have the stackers due to space issues. My current set is Fridgidair Infinity. I have always liked the front loaders and bought them as soon as they came out. Get the extended warranty for sure.

They do all that everyone else has said, including the stinky thing when they sit closed for a day or so. I just run a bleach load.

[SIZE=12pt]I also have the Whirlpool Duet and LOVE them. The price was VERY good compared to the other front load models. We bought the stands for ours too, but ended up deciding to stack them and I'm so glad we did. [/SIZE]

Mine don't have the steam/refresher/whatever, but there is not an item of clothing that has ever been on ANY of us that didn't NEED to be washed~LOL I save a TON of time doing laundry. My regular wash runs 40 minutes and my regular dryer cycle runs 34 minutes! It used to take me over 2 hours to dry jeans or towels and could take me 2 or 3 days to do our weekly 10 loads or so of laundry. I can get it done in one day now AND get other things done too. My mother in law was mortified when Steve said he was getting me these for Mother's Day 2 years ago. *I* was THRILLED! Mine are the charcoal color (to match our white & blue bathroom where the laundry area is located), but that new cobalt blue color is GORGEOUS...so is the red!

Back