The appliance man told me....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaos Ranch

Reaction score
I bought one of those front load GE washer/dryer sets (red) and I got it from one of those "rent to own" places. Well, I got a substantial discount on the set because a couple had previously gotten it and only had it a month and during that time he lost his job, so they knew they wouldn't be able to make their payments and the place let them bring it back. Well, anyway, they told me that as long as I make payments on it then it is under warranty.

Well I had it about a month and a half, and I noticed my clothes didn't smell clean when I took them out. I'd re-wash them two or three times...still same thing. When you open the door it smelled like old dirty laundry water in there. We checked the drain hose, perfectly fine. Well it got to the point that it just was not worth going through bottle after bottle of laundry soap when I wasn't getting my clothes clean. When I went in to make my payment two days ago I told them about it and they sent a repair-man out right away.

Well, when I bought it they told me to always use the laundry soap that says "he" on it. Said the new washers are very sensitive to the type of soap you use. And also, even though it has a place for it, you should never ever use powdered laundry soap....and regular bleach is NOT good at all as it breaks down the rubber seals in them. The repair-man looked it over and could not find a problem. He noticed that my bottle of "Tide with Febreeze" did not have the "he" symbol on it and he asked me if that's what I've been using. Well of course it is, why would it be there if I weren't using it? He tells me that is a BIG no-no!!! Plus, he asked me how much I have been putting in. I tell him that I fill it to the fill line on the washer's dispenser drawer. His jaw literally dropped! He says THAT"S your problem!!! He says that soap that doesn't have the "he" makes too many suds, and when it drains the water off, there's a ton of suds left in there. Then those dirty suds get spun right into your clothes, thus putting the dirt (and smell) that they've just removed, right back into your clothes. He told me to throw out my Tide with Febreeze and only use the "he" soap, and do NOT go by the dispenser, go by the bottle's cup, and only use HALF of what the cup calls for. Ok...so I really didn't know all of that... but was very glad he told me.

So, the part that makes me angry is that our 5 year old refrigerator totally stopped working all of the sudden the other day. We had him look at it while he was here. He tells us that he thinks it went into defrost mode, and the board shorted out or something and it got stuck in defrost. Here's the stupid part. He tells us that a year ago when he priced that part it was $200. and recently when he prices similar parts, they've doubled in price over the past year...then you add in his house call fee, and the labor fee, and some other things, and by the time you add it all up you can add a couple of hundred to it and just buy a brand new one instead. He told us that the manufacturer does that on purpose because some of the appliances they were making lasted too long and they weren't selling enough of them, so they made them less durable, and jacked the prices up on the replacement parts so that people would just throw them out and replace them instead of paying the ridiculous prices to repair them !!! That just seems very very wrong to me. He said he went to repair a stove, and the part alone was over $200. and his other fees would be another $100. + and she could just have went and bought a brand new one just like it for a hair over $300. !!! Isn't that just wrong?

I told the guy, I'm not a "green" person or a re cycler or anything like that, but the first thing that came to my mind was the manufacturers of these appliances are directly responsible for massive appliance disposals in the landfills because they want to make more profits by selling more, less durable appliances so that you have to replace them rather than repair them. Even the used appliance stores, and the repair stores will not buy, repair, and resell the appliances because they come out "in the hole" on them. Shouldn't something be able to be done about that? Is there a brand that does not fall into this practice, that actually makes dependable, repairable, affordable appliances? My refrigerator, stove, dishwasher, and window air conditioner were all Frigidaire brand. (so far, the window air unit has quit, the refrigerator has quit, and the dishwasher does not function as well as it used to.) and they are only 5 years old. The a/c unit quit after only one and a half years use.

Last edited by a moderator:
I totally believe they do what you say...my dryer took a pooh a couple years ago. The repair man came out and said it was going to be more to repair it than to buy a new one. Now my dryer was 11 years old so I really can't complain...I am not easy on washer/dryers either. My washer/dryer are kenmores. The washer is now 13 years old and still works great, a few years ago I did have to have some belt replaced but that was under $100...they are just your basic plain washer/dryer, fairly inexpensive...When I go to replace my washer I will get the exact same thing and hopefully it will last as long as this one.

I guess this could be true because things just do NOT last like they used to. . .however I know if I've had bad experiences with a brand I won't buy that brand again, and I'll also complain to others about it, so in that way they are really hurting themselves if it is true and one would think they'd put some thought into that. I doubt it's a big conspiracy to make crappy products.

That's why I do not bother to buy the appliances that are high dollar with all the bells and whistles on it cause when they crap out it costs to much to repair. I just bought a stackable wahser/dryer combo used that was 8 mths old for 500.00 it was used by a retired couple till they went in the NH. I got the manual and receipt with it and they paid 1200.00 new. Same as my old one that crapped out less buttons on it but if it goes out I am only out 500.00 and I agree all the parts are made in China and other countrys cheap is cheap and these companies do not care about quality anymore. Remember when my mom's washer and dryer lasted 15+ years without a problem? We hauled my parents freezer around when we moved and it is still working my son has it now and I am talking 60's style. go figure!
default_wacko.png

I have owned Maytags for 40 years now. When washer died I did not even hesitate to buy another Maytag. Big mistake, it goes off kilter all the time! Larry looked at it and showed me it has one belt holding it instead of 4 it is the cheapest piece of crap that I have ever owned. I would love to just blow it up.

Now I am stuck with this piece of crap!

DON'T BUY A MAYTAG!!!!

Bon

I have owned Maytags for 40 years now. When washer died I did not even hesitate to buy another Maytag. Big mistake, it goes off kilter all the time! Larry looked at it and showed me it has one belt holding it instead of 4 it is the cheapest piece of crap that I have ever owned. I would love to just blow it up.Now I am stuck with this piece of crap!

DON'T BUY A MAYTAG!!!!

Bon
Wow, I was serioiusly thinking that if I replaced my appliances I would buy a Maytag brand because I remember seeing all of the commercials where the Maytag repairman is never needed to actually repair the appliance. Good to know!

I have owned Maytags for 40 years now. When washer died I did not even hesitate to buy another Maytag. Big mistake, it goes off kilter all the time! Larry looked at it and showed me it has one belt holding it instead of 4 it is the cheapest piece of crap that I have ever owned. I would love to just blow it up.Now I am stuck with this piece of crap!

DON'T BUY A MAYTAG!!!!

Bon
Wow, I was serioiusly thinking that if I replaced my appliances I would buy a Maytag brand because I remember seeing all of the commercials where the Maytag repairman is never needed to actually repair the appliance. Good to know!

Hi Kim,

Just come and get this crap out of my cellar!!!
default_wub.png

Bon

That's old news--for years and years I've been told by a variety of people that they deliberately make appliances that don't last, because they don't want you to keep the same appliances for years and years--they want you to buy new ones every few years. I've seen that for myself, so many times. The old, old fridges are still running; the new ones soon die. The old, old air conditioner that I bought used was OLD when I bought it, and we used it a number of years before it finally packed it in & died. The new one I got lasted 2 1/2 summers & then died last year. Spent $200 to fix it, because that was still cheaper than buying a new one the same size for $300--so now I just hope that we get another 2 or 2 1/2 summers out of it!

Same with vehicles--used to be you could buy a 10 year old truck & still have a good vehicle. Now my mechanic tells me that you're taking your chances when you buy one that's 5 years old--you can expect it to have problems right from the time you buy it.

For whatever reason I have never used that dispenser thingy on our washer--we always measure the laundry soap with the scoop that comes in the box. Maybe that's a good thing, if all washers are the same in that respect.

About the HE laundry soap. Sounds about right. Get a box and try it, bet you'll see the difference. I completely think that many manufacturers are not making things nearly as durable. We had a washer/dryer set that was over 20 years old, replaced them only to be more energy efficient. The new set isnt 7 years old yet and we have had the dryer serviced 2 times. Our new TV, 6 years old, is already on the fritz. Yet the old fashioned one it replaced is sstill going strong in the bedroom and is going on 15 years.
default_no.gif

Ok I just gotta ask......what is HE laundry soap??? Who makes it??

And I agree they just don't make things the way they used to.
default_no.gif

Same with vehicles--used to be you could buy a 10 year old truck & still have a good vehicle. Now my mechanic tells me that you're taking your chances when you buy one that's 5 years old--you can expect it to have problems right from the time you buy it.
Sad but true! My cousin owns an auto shop and he's the first one to tell you that car manufacturers deliberately make vehicles where they will only last a couple years before they need new parts. If everything lasted forever, there would be very little jobs available.
default_sad.png
It's a shame though that companies have resorted to making things faulty on purpose. Like someone mentioned, just imagine all the "trash" that wouldn't have to be trashed, if products were made to last.

That seems to be the mentality of most things being made nowadays. When they break, go buy a new one- tv's, radios, etc.... so I would not doubt it one bit.

Hmmm, I have an OLD Maytag and know others with newer ones- Bonnie, maybe you just got a lemon one? They are usually really good. But, who knows? Perhaps they have jumped on the 'disposable train' like all the other manufactures? I hope not! SOMEbody out there still must make a quality item somewhere....
default_no.gif

I think HE means High Efficiency. My sister has to use it for her washer, too. Ours is a basic GE model, which is what we always get. I think we have had 3 basically like this by GE and that spans 20 years and heavy use.

I think HE means High Efficiency. My sister has to use it for her washer, too. Ours is a basic GE model, which is what we always get. I think we have had 3 basically like this by GE and that spans 20 years and heavy use.
That is correct Jill and you should only use HE laundry detergent in and HE washer. I use the liquid HE Members Mark brand (SAMS club) and have never had a bit of trouble with my front load HE washer. In fact I LOVE it.

My sympathies on the demise of your appliances... I love shopping, but I hate spending money on appliances...is that wrong of me?
default_wink.png

Anyway, I just wanted to add that front-loading washing machines do tend to get smelly after a while, even with the high-efficiency detergent, because the suds and dirt stick to the outside drum (and underneath the rubber gasket on the front) and after a while that crud gets really funky... I was feeling as frustrated as you with the smell of the "clean" clothes and how scratchy and gross they felt... Long story short, I did a little investigating and fixed the problem by a) adding a tablespoon of citric acid to a load of clothes every so often (did 3 or 4 in a row at first, to really get the drum and clothes clean); b) using hot water to wash whenever possible; and c) using a small amount of he detergent liquid (I use a "green" detergent I get in bulk from the coop) - like 3 tablespoons, usually. This really made a huge difference, and my clothes smell soooo much better and feel clean.

Hope this helps!

As far as I know, all of the front loading machines use the HE (High Efficiency) soaps. They use less water per wash, so they require a low-suds soap to get things clean. Fortunately, several brands make HE versions of their laundry soaps, we are using the Tide free and clear HE.

We had a pair of Maytags that I know lasted more than 20 years. A few years ago, when the drum on the washer started leaking, the guy at the appliance store asked my husband how old the machine was. When Hubby told him it was about 15 years old, he said "Oh, that one is worth fixing. It's the newer ones that aren't worth the bother." Notice they don't use the "lonely Maytag repairman" in their ads anymore! Now, Maytag has the worst record in Consumer Reports.
default_no.gif

Our old Maytags finally gave up the ghost a couple of months ago. My husband got a deal on a pair of slightly used machines by a German manufacturer that I'd never heard of before. Supposedly, this company has an old-fashioned attitude toward quality. I sure hope it's true, they sure cost us plenty up front as it is, but if they last like the old Maytags did, they will have been a bargain. No complaints so far!

One hint I was given about the rubber gasket - keep a towel or something in the laundry room to mop up the water that inevitably puddles in there after the last load. It helps with keeping things smelling fresh.

Anyway, I just wanted to add that front-loading washing machines do tend to get smelly after a while, even with the high-efficiency detergent, because the suds and dirt stick to the outside drum (and underneath the rubber gasket on the front) and after a while that crud gets really funky...
I've never had a problem with clothes smelling bad but I do use bleach. Another thing is that on my front loader has a "CLEAN WASHER" cycle. I run that about every month with bleach and I have never had problems with a washer that smelled bad either. Take a paper towel and clean around inside of that rubber thing and you should not have any problems.

I have had front loads for almost 8 years now. I like them because they use so much less water. BUT I don't like them because they can accumulate bacteria from water, etc. - I have found if I leave the front door open a bit then I don't have that problem.

HE soap is very crucial though!

Back