Forelocks when driving?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AceyHorse

Reaction score
It will be my first season showing in harness this summer and I was wondering, what do I do with my horses forelock? Do I plait it or tuck it or have it sitting under his browband? I am having a beautiful browband made to match my driving outfit so would rather not have it covered up? Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.
default_smile.png

I usually don't have any time at all so i tuck it off to the side under the bridle... hmmm I'll try to get pictures one day lol. If I actually do have time I braid it and make a little button (like a hunter braid) & I think it looks nicer. :bgrin But It's all up to you lol.

Ashley

I always tuck mine under the headstall behind the ear. I just make sure its on the same side the mane lays. Always looks nicer. That way the head band isn't covered up and it won't get in their eyes. Its easier to put it behind the ear and then put the headstall over it. That way you don't have to fight getting it under the leather. :bgrin Hope that helps. I think its more preference to where you have it sit. Just look at pictures. That's what I do if I'm wondering about something. :aktion033:

I plait mine about 2/3's of the way down. That way, it stays neat & tidy, and you still have that little piece out at the bottom.

forelock.jpg

Most of the people I know either brush the forelock to the side before bridling so it tucks easily under the side of the bridle or they braid it, again to the side so it hides under the blinder stay. I personally prefer it loose and tucked because my horse has a long head and it looks even longer without a visible forelock but the braid is neater and lasts longer. Don't have a braid down the center of his forehead if he has a sidecheck or no check, it looks funny.

Leia

I braid mine off to the side, then tuck it under the bridle in front of the ear.

I show in AMHR. In Roadster, Pleasure, and Park classes you can braid ribbons in (what fun! I love it!) so the forelock and a tiny piece of mane by the bridle path is braided in my stable colors. The forelock is then tucked to the mane side, right under the browband concho.

Andrea

:aktion033: I love the idea of braiding a ribbon into his forelock, I would love to see a photo if you've got one Andrea.

:aktion033: I love the idea of braiding a ribbon into his forelock, I would love to see a photo if you've got one Andrea.

Thats neat! What do you do with long-ish manes? Leave them down? Or braid them too?

Cassieapril.JPG

I don't actually have pictures handy at the moment... the above picture is the only thing I have that is remotely similar. She is a Modern Shetland but the minis are braided similarly. Just buy three different (complementing) colors (I guess you could braid three strands of the same color, or two of one color and one of the other) and braid a TINY bit of hair with the ribbon. You use 1/4" ribbon from the craft/fabric store, you can buy it in spools for a dollar. The ribbon on the mare above is thicker, so it looks more exaggerated.... part sticks up and part sticks down at the end and you cut a "V" into the ends.

You can see she has the tiny bit of hair behind the bridle path braided though, and then the forelock is braided and then tucked under the browband concho so it sticks out the back of the bridle. Only about 1/5th of the braid has any hair braided into it, the rest is just the ribbon braided.

I hope that makes any sense... I will try to search online for a more clear picture.

Andrea

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back