For those of you that have actually WEIGHED your Minis...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
heres tiny right after colic surgery. She was weighed there at the hospital and weighed 202. She is 31"

tinystand.JPG

I remember a couple years ago on the forum i posted most of my mares were around 200 lbs and got flamed like crazy for saying no way could miniature mares under 34" weigh that much. I still stand by that statement lol

We weighed Big Man at the feed store about 3 months ago. He's 36" tall, and built like a tank...he weighed in at 378 lbs :new_shocked:

He's really not overweight either, just solid.

alfalfa is a 6yr old mini and he measures about 37"1/4 and the last time i had him weighed he was around 290 lbs

nice thread!
default_yes.gif
:

We've only had two weighed...at university teaching hospitals.

Dinah, 31 1/2" very refined..a 5 on the one to nine score chart....she weighed 220

Cowboy, 25 1/2" moderate build....5 on the score chart...110

This is very interesting.

My only real experience with the weight tape found it to be dangerously inaccurate. A 28" mare taken to a surgical facility...they used a weight tape for medication dosage and got her at 237 pounds! She was quite refined and probably weighed no more than 150! Possibly less. We discussed this with the attending vets and they dosed her for 150 pounds. Her anesthesia went well, but had they used the 237 dosage it might have killed her.

Frank keeps talking about getting a weight bar scale and having a 'weigh in' with people bringing horses to be weighed. It would sure be educational to us.

This is a great topic and I'll be watching to see the result.

Charlotte

I actually think the weight tape is generally pretty accurate, and suspect that it is often 'pilot error' when it is wildly off(as in Charlotte's example.)

It does need to be used EXACTLY according to directions.

I use a weight tape everytime I worm or medicate anything according to weight; also give my vet my weight tape amounts when he needs them for medication-have never had any issues.

My medium build, 24 YO, 34" mare tapes at around 260 lbs., has been as high as 275 when she was hefty. both of my 34", medium build geldings(one, the son of the mare above, and a bit finer in build than she), tape at 235-260, depending on condition; his 33.5" full brother,finer built,tapes at around 220-235, again, depending on condition and whether he's 'fit' or somewhat 'fat'! My substantial, but not drafty, 38" mare tapes at around 375-380 lbs.,while my 30.25 mare, around 180 175-180 lbs. Both 32" horses are around 210-220 lbs.(the gelding is a heavier build, and is usually the heavier of the two.) Reading through this thread, it seems that these weights are well in line with most of those of comparable height/build, listed here, which have actually been weighed.

I have a Rhodesian Ridgeback female who weighs 130 lbs. on the vet office scale-and though quite large for a Ridgeback, she is clearly 'WAY lighter than even my smallest(the 30.25") mini-another reason I feel pretty comfortable about my weight-tape weights being pretty accurate.

Margo

I recently had my smallest stallion Signature Moon weighed and he weighed 108 lbs. He is 3 years old and 24".

Judy, what a little fella he must be.

I have two at 28" and one at 29 1/2" mature.

Joyce L

My 29.5" mare, who is not totally refined and is a few pounds over wheight, weighs 220 lbs.

Gage Carlsen

Back