For those of you that have actually WEIGHED your Minis...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mona

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out approximately what an average mini weighs. Of course, I know there can be large differences due to body fat, bone size/density etc. but I would just like a "guideline" if possible. I have heard/read that the height/weight tapes used to measure the girth size are not accurate at all when it comes to determining weight of our breed, so am hoping those that have ACTUAL EXPERIENCE can share their information with the rest of us.

For Example: What would the AVERAGE...

28" mature Miniature Horse weigh?

30" mature Miniature Horse weigh?

32" mature Miniature Horse weigh?

34" mature Miniature Horse weigh?

36" mature Miniature Horse weigh?

38" mature Miniature Horse weigh?

Now how about yearlings? How much would a...

26" yearling Miniature Horse weigh?

28" yearling Miniature Horse weigh?

30" yearling Miniature Horse weigh?

32" yearling Miniature Horse weigh?

34" yearling Miniature Horse weigh?

Now how about 2 year olds? How much would a...

26" 2 year old Miniature Horse weigh?

28" 2 year old Miniature Horse weigh?

30" 2 year old Miniature Horse weigh?

32" 2 year old Miniature Horse weigh?

34" 2 year old Miniature Horse weigh?

36" 2 year old Miniature Horse weigh?

I am wondering for feeding purposes, but I think it would also be good to know for deworming. I always guess WAAAAAAY high for deworming, but I know I am always safe because of the wormer types I use. However, it could be deadly for some types if people were to overdose, especially with the produce Quest, so I just want to stress here that for weights required for deworming with certain types, or for administering certain medications, it is VERY important that you go with ACCURATE, ACTUAL weights of the horse!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've only ever had one of my horses actually weighed on a scale (at the vet's office on their dog scale, lol)

and he was a 33" gelding, very refined and at about a perfect weight for his body type. He weighed 190 pounds. My vet said that he would have guessed much higher.

I'm sorry that I don't have any other weights that I can share. I also should emphasize that the weight of other 33" horses may be very different--- for example, a heavier-boned horse would weigh more, as would a broodmare carrying extra pounds (as all of mine seem to do).

I've had a few weighed-

32" yearling filly (light build) 180 lbs

33" broodmare 240 lb (not in foal)

29" broodmare in foal 210 lb

Tammie

Mona --

Great topic! I have no information to ad, since I just eyeball them and sometimes weight tape them. I have an article on how to use a tape to weigh MINIS and it is DIFFERENT than the formual for biggies. I will try and scan this so we can all see it.

I was hoping when this thread is complete it could be added to the Best Of board.

Jill

Back in the spring..our mini club did a session on this at our annual clinic. We did some weight comparisons using different methods of weight measurment...including a horse scale.

We took down notes and recorded them.

Here is a link to all the results.

I was suprised!..Loco only weighed in at 165 lbs. on the horse scale.

Weight comparisons

The comparison chart is near the bottom of the page.

I hope this helps some. It sure taught us a lot.

Weight tapes arent the best for minis...thats what we found.

-Kris

I had a 34" mare weighed at the vet hospital when she went in for a C-section and her weight was 280# She was not a heaved boned mare, just average build and of course she was pregnant.

The only two I've had weighed...

33.50" ten year old driving /brood mare... in very fit, driving condition - 180#

31" nine year old driving gelding, as the above mare, very fit condition - 155#

Had My Boy Weighed at a MHCO Clinic This Year he is a 33" Gelding Medium Build He is a 3 on the Body Score Chart which is ideal. He weighed 276.

Heres a Link to our Clinic nooted comparing the weight formula(Using a Tape) to actual weight veyr helpful number with a tape are WAY off!! :new_shocked: Clinic Notes

We took my mare to the vet clinic last year for a minor case of colic and they used an actual scale on her. She's, mature, 31", was in pretty good condition and weighed 215(I think). The weight tapes, for us, are usually a tad high, but they are pretty close in my experience.

We`ve only had one weighed. A 32.5", 4 year old mare. She weighed exactly 200 pounds.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I think our "R" gelding takes the cake at 36 inches and 377 lbs. He's built like a draft horse, and looks more fresian then most fresians that I've seen. He pulls logs, drives, does muddy trails and roads, in short he's pretty darn awesome, and I wouldn't take a pound off him. He's been converting fat to muscle mass since he started driving and is improving even though his weight is the same.

Our little broodmare is 307 lbs and she's 30 3/4's "... so she's pretty darn stout too. I have to say, I have never seen a broader chest on a mini mare then she has. She just started driving too, so she is on the path to take some weight off. I think she has "summer weight " on, because I saw her six mos ago, and she was much thinner. She's muscle ly...

Our step brother stallions are small. Tonto is 26" and he weighs about 120 right now. His half brother is 28"s and he's just over 200... The farrier says they all are looking good, even though I drive everyone crazy, saying... (don't I need to put these two on a diet, and don't I need to feed more to the little ones. Truth be told, the two larger guys eat much less then the little ones.

I don't get it... must be genetic!

God Bless,

Lynn W

I have only ever had one weighted. She was a 33" yearling in good shape and weighed 150

Our horses are weighed a couple of times a year. We have an old doctors scale with a wood platform.

#1 28.5", mare, 4yrs. She looks good at about 150-155. At one point she dropped to 135lbs (ulcers), She did not have any meat on her at 135. She is now weighing in at a fluffy 165 lbs.

#2 30.5" mare, 4yrs. Her usual weight is about 200 lbs. She went to 245lbs with this years foal and dropped back to 207lbs 10 weeks post foaling.

# 31.25", mare, 6yrs. She stays at about 205, she is solid with lots of energy at 205.

# 4 30", stallion, 4 yrs. He stays at just about 195lbs. This weight fits him well

#5 29.5" Filly, 15 months. Currently 145 lbs and gaining. She is a petite girl.

Colt this year was 17.75" and about 20lbs at birth, at 2 months he was 22" and 55 lbs

The scale has worked out great....no more arguing with the vet about the correct dose of a medicine.

I usually weigh them during the winter so I can make sure they are holding their weight under all that hair.

This is interesting! I wish we could see photos of the horses/weights posted so we could see the body style, as well as knowing the heights.

default_smile.png

I to am very interested in seeing pictures if possible of the MHCO clinic test. I have a couple of 4H members with horses that I know are to thin and the vet tells them they are just right. I know that when you start to see ribs and hips their way to thin. I have copied the MHCO clinic test chart and will share it with my 4-H club which has 14 members and I think that this might make a good project as I also have a couple members with horses to fat. It is awful hard to fine the happy medium for minis.

Thanks for sharing this chart with all of us.

36" gelding 275lb

32" gelding 210lb

43" shetland mare in show condition 350lb

We have only weighed one and he is a 5 year old, 27 inch stallion, he weighed 149.

:new_shocked: WOW...this is sooo interesting! I'll say I over judge in weight! I worm my horses(I own none taller than 35.5") usually for 400-450 pounds, weanlings at 100 and yearlings and 2 year olds at about 250! :eek: My mature horses all range in height from 33.25"-35.5".

It works well that way for the deworming, but maybe that is why they are so FAT! :bgrin

I had a mare weighed at Tufts University after she had foaled. She was 31 1/2" and weighed 175 lbs.

The only two I've had weighed...

33.50" ten year old driving /brood mare... in very fit, driving condition - 180#

31" nine year old driving gelding, as the above mare, very fit condition - 155#

I wish we could see photos of the horses/weights posted so we could see the body style, as well as knowing the heights.
Okie dokie...here ya go, the gelding is the little black, the appy roan is the mare.

Zeemer2003.jpg

Crackers03.jpg

Latest posts

Back