For those of you that board . . .

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am just wondering where you board your minis? Do you board at full size horse barns or mini barns? I am looking for a place to board my mini but I am not sure where I should be looking! There is a mini barn very close to me but from their website it looks like they just deal with show horses and training not boarding for someone just getting in to minis. There are also a lot of full size horse barns in the area. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I have heard of lots of mini people boarding at full size horse barns with few problems. Most of the time they do not charge the full price either. You just have to make sure the fencing and facilities are miniature horse safe and not "escapable" since so many miniatures are hoodinies!

In my area I am the only place that boards minis. I do mostly driving with them and have trails from the house. I have different prices for minis verses full sized horses. I don't have any extra stalls for minis though but they have run in sheds very close to the house for shelters.

I have always boarded at full size horse barns. The only price break I get is on feed (currently I buy my own feed though). Never had a problem.

I board where you rent the stall and that is all..I take care of them myself..But I like it that way..I know when my horses are feed and I know when the stalls get cleaned..Because I do it myself..lol..Advertise on Craigslist..Are there any farms near you?..Sometimes people with horses will have an extra stall they will rent,or board an extra horse or 2.

I am not sure what part of NY you are in but I sold a mini to a family near Lockport Ny. They board at a big horse facility. The owners liked the mini so much, they purchased the other gelding I had for sale at the time, worked out great so they had a buddy their size to be with. I have seen several big horse facilities that had minis, pros, they get tons of attention, everyone loves on them, cons, appropriate sized turn out companions and correct feedings.

Big horse facilities are fine as long as your mini has separate turnout from the big ones -- you need this in your contract and you need to make certain all who work there know this. Also, if this is a full care facility, be certain you and the barn manager are on the same page as far as feeding, no Quest (or other Moxidectin wormers, and no Bute. If the barn has its own vet and/or farrier, be sure to be there for any of their visits, at least in the beginning.

As for the mini training stable near you, there's no harm in asking. They may not advertise as such, but they may have an open stall and be willing, especially if they like you and your horse. You'd know that they were knowledgeable about minis, you'd have mini-friendly folk with whom to visit, and your horse would have buddies for turnout.

I board my riding horse at a farm about a mile away but at that farm, the minis out number the biggies! There's an indoor riding / driving ring, an outdoor riding / driving ring, trails, etc., and even a barn that has 12 MINI stalls in it
default_smile.png
Unfortunately, it would be a little too far south to suit your needs, but hoping you find a great place close by.

I am going to board 2 small minis for 10 months, while the owners build a new home and facility for these two.

I will be needing to find out how a contract is drawn up and what kinds of guildelines should be there.

I know the owners will want to use our arena and continue with their training.

I am sure I'll miss covering something that is important, and find out later, than sooner.

I'll be interested to see other comments to this topic and hopefully pick up some ideas.

One thing I'd advise is to look at the hay that's being fed. I think that minis should have a softer / leafier hay than is okay for big horses. I've seen some big horses thrive on hay that I think would be too coarse for minis and I know of a farm that I think has had a lot of problems over the years with colics and I think that's due to the coarsenss of the hay the minis have been fed... the owner of the farm now shares that point of view. I've probably over simplified it in my mind, but if you figure that a miniatures inside parts are about 1/4 as big around as a full size horse, it makes sense to me that they should have hay that is not coarse and stemmy. Knock on wood, with the minis at our place, we have never had a serious colic. The one situation we had was actually at the farm I mentioned and was many years ago.

I board my 2 riding horses and 3 minis at a friends boarding barn. They get their seperate feed and stalls. Have their own pasture. I only am charged $25 per mini, per month.
default_smile.png

When I was boarding my pony, I had to buy her hay pellets and provide a scoop for feed, because even knowledgeable, caring stable owners would feed her WAY too much hay. "It didn't seem like enough!" "She looked hungry!" (anyone ever see a horse who didn't?) :)

So, if I were looking at a place to board minis, I'd want to see some minis or ponies there, and see what condition they're in (in general). I always have some that are fatter or thinner than ideal, but as a group their weight is fine, and we constantly adjust on the easy/hard keepers.

Latest posts

Back