For big horse owners

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backwoodsnanny

Reaction score
I have a question for all you big horse owners on here. I have been watching marestare quite faithfully this year and it amazes me that it seems the biggies have so much more time between bubble and birth. Also do big horse owners NOT help their mares when they are in labor? I have witnessed several big horse deliveries where they allow the mare to do all the work is this common? Being used to the minis this is alarming to watch but know everyone has their own way I was just curious if this is common to allow the mare to do all the work? Also for it to take up to 45 minutes from bubble to birth ? If a mini mare took that long I would be calling a vet as I would be afraid it was taking just too long.

Long before I had Minis , I had big horses...I used to foal out mares for other people, and I did it the same as I now do the minis. As soon as the white bubble appears, I do a quick check to make sure there are 2 hooves, (soles down) and a nose, then back off and wait a few minutes to see how the mare is progressing. Depending on the mare, sometimes I helped, sometimes not....But usually I did...I got the membrane off the foals head as soon as front legs and head were out.

Everyone does things their own way, but I would never wait 45 minutes for the foal to appear after the bubble presented. That's a lot of work that the mare doesn't have to do on her own. And a lot of stress on the foal. Plus my biggest concern would be elbow lock or hip lock.

But then again, many mares foal on their own.

Sue
default_smile.png

Thank you for the reply I wasnt being critical just curious as I have seen many born this spring and it seems the norm to just sit back and watch rather than help. We do the minis the same as you when we see the bubble we look to be sure that is right with the two feet headed downward and the nose and once the head clears we tear off the bag then we are right there in case the hips dont come through and we help with each contraction. I just was curious if what I had been seeing was the norm or not as I dont know alot about birthing biggies. It just seemed the majority though they are there in the stall dont do anything to help the mare.

Last edited by a moderator:
We raised a few big horse babies, and for the most part my old mare was too smart to let us catch her foaling lol. One of her daughters foaled for us though, and yes I did help her when it was obvious she was having problems. I agree, 45 minutes seems like a very long time to wait although as stated, lots and lots of mares foal by themselves.

Jan

I prefer to let them fola themselves unless I see them havingtrouble. It does seem to take them a bit longer. My s/o on the other hand likes to jump right in there and pull them out! to each his own I guess!

When my mares are progressing well, I just watch. But like all mini owners, I attempt to be there just "in case" as when it goes wrong it goes wrong fast & hard.

Some mares just don't get with it as quickly as others, IMO. And, they do have the ability to slow the process down -- even hold off actual labor to an extent (like when we are watching!
default_yes.gif
).

We did breed the bigger ones for 8 years, and only seen one birth, but than, no buzzers, no camera, and thank goodness no problems.

I am thinking with minis, it is the sac that causes the problem getting out of, and with larger mares they seem to be thinner and they have further to fall sometimes which helps break open the sacs.

I also believe mini mares get tired easier, than the bigger mares.

Bigger mares, they take longer than minis, the length (head to back legs with minis not too far apart.) JMO

Thank you all for your responses I now understand why many dont get involved`with the big mares it still makes me nervous watching but I even have seen a red bag that no one rushed to do much about. Mare still had baby fine. As with the red bag video on the front forum the mare's tail broke the red bag and the babies nose tore the white sack. I was amazed that the baby seemed just fine. I had been warned about red bag so much by mini owners that I was surprised and very relieved that everything turned out fine for the biggie. I guess our minis do have many differences all of which are interesting to watch. Again thank you all for responding.

Back